Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: Winter flying is here.  Cool, smooth air.  Oh...OK...maybe some snow on the runways and a few foggy days.  Perhaps a driving rain storm or a blizzard.

Author Topic: Fatal crash south of Roseburg  (Read 3421 times)

groupw

Fatal crash south of Roseburg
« on: July 19, 2011, 01:21:20 PM »
Two people were killed in a crash south of Roseburg Sunday: http://www.katu.com/news/local/125728618.html.

I was stuck in Prospect all day Sunday, unable to get to Roseburg due to low ceilings. Don't know if weather was a factor in the crash, but it sure was a poor day for VFR flight in that area.

Roy

Skyking3286

Re: Fatal crash south of Roseburg
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »
From the Kathryn Aviation Report

ZENITH STOL CH701, N701RD: Fatal plane crash under investigation. (With Video) Azalea, Oregon.
http://www.faa.gov/ Accident_incident

http://registry.faa.gov N701RD

AZALEA, Ore. -- Federal investigators are expected in Azalea today to investigate the fatal crash of a small airplane.

The plane went down at a private landing field yesterday killing two men believed to be from California.

Near Azalea, an experimental, homebuilt airplane crashed Sunday night. The pilot and a passenger were both killed. Witnesses say one man was dead when he got to the scene. The other died shortly after rescue crews arrived.

The plane was flying from this small private grass airfield between Glendale and Azalea, off Azalea-Glenn road. Witnesses who actually saw the crash say that just beforehand, the plane had been doing some acrobatics out over this field. But when it tried to take off with both passengers on board, that's when trouble began.

The plane is registered to an un-named owner in Middleton, California, in the Napa Valley area.

It's a light weight home-built two passenger plane that was first registered in 2009, and is specially designed for operating in small, short runway situations.

Watch Video

at Monday, July 18, 2011 0 comments Links to this post
Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Google Buzz
Labels: Accidents disasters and incidents

BruceAir

• BruceAir

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »
According to the FAA registry, the airplane was a ZENITH STOL CH701.

-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

stutzman

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:10:29 PM »

The picture you linked to is not a CH701, Bruce, but rather a CH750.

The CH750 is the slightly larger and and improved version of the CH701.  The CH701 is even boxier, if you can believe that.

Not that neither of these planes should be confused with the Zenith CH801, which is even yet larger than the CH750.

(know my zeniths, but still can't always correctly identify RVs)
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B  -- Hula Girl
Caldwell, ID

Zzz

• Backcountry Pilot

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:01:10 PM »
I've been to that field, it's a pretty tight approach surrounded by tall trees, and probably a pretty steep climb-out on takeoff. Who knows what happened...

BruceAir

• BruceAir

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:43:07 AM »

The picture you linked to is not a CH701, Bruce, but rather a CH750.

The CH750 is the slightly larger and and improved version of the CH701.  The CH701 is even boxier, if you can believe that.

Not that neither of these planes should be confused with the Zenith CH801, which is even yet larger than the CH750.

(know my zeniths, but still can't always correctly identify RVs)

That may be, but the photo is taken from the page of the CH website devoted to the 701.
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

stutzman

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 03:10:48 PM »
That may be, but the photo is taken from the page of the CH website devoted to the 701.

I'm not surprised. 

I like their planes, but they need to shoot the content manager of their website.
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B  -- Hula Girl
Caldwell, ID

hotrod150

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »

The tail number tells the story.

Zzz

• Backcountry Pilot

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 05:07:05 PM »
My dad called me to update me on this, as this is not far from his home airport. Sounds like the cause was takeoff with the fuel valve closed.

Lynol

• Flying Miss Direction

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
Two people were killed in a crash south of Roseburg Sunday: http://www.katu.com/news/local/125728618.html.

Not to detract from the tragedy of the event, my condolences to their families, but the comments on the article are so dumb.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:02:41 PM by Lynol »
Lynol
Flying N2169H, '46 Ercoupe 415-C
Building RV7