Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: Fall is Falling!  Keep Flying!

Author Topic: Twin tail pusher aircraft  (Read 5545 times)

olympiapilot

• Olympia Pilot Blog: My Adventure in Aviation

Twin tail pusher aircraft
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:37:35 AM »
I'm spending the long weekend on Oahu's north shore, and for most of the day each day, a twin-tail pusher-configuration aircraft (single-engine land...at least I think it's a single) passes overhead.  It appears every couple of hours, could be inbound to PHNL from the northwest, though it could also be a VFR sightseeing flight circuiting the island.  White paint with big windows (might be the whole canopy...too far away to tell).

I have scoured the internet trying to find out what it is, to no avail.

Any ideas what it might be?
Scott Came
Center O Club - KOLM
http://olympiapilot.blogspot.com/

rwanttaja

Re: Twin tail pusher aircraft
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:14:47 PM »
There's a Cessna Skymaster registered to a company called "Hawaii from Above," with a mailing address in Honolulu....

olympiapilot

• Olympia Pilot Blog: My Adventure in Aviation

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »
Yep, that would be it.  Saw it again this afternoon.  Thanks!
Scott Came
Center O Club - KOLM
http://olympiapilot.blogspot.com/

tonyrob

• Global Moderator
  • GICE
    • The World According To Tony

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:50:31 PM »

The only thing that I don't like about it is that you can't open the door if the flaps are down.
I find that quite scary.

Tony
C-GICE
Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly.
(Walmart warning label 1995)

Klaus

• NOTAM : Altitude Creates a Sense of Euphoria
    • Klaus Website

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »
   Another affectionate name....

The 'MixMaster'

Good plane but the rear engine has a cooling problem and the Continental IO-360 needs good cooling. If you get your twin rating in this plane the license will specify "Center Line Thrust" multi-engine. The Vietnam version was the O-2 Skymaster ...

Cessna O-2 Skymaster

Still a very popular 'Fire Spotter' today.

Klaus(good Memorial Day airplane...   )Marx
Klaus Marx
        N6802B
1956 Tailwheel Piper Pacer PA-22/20-150
Juneau, AK (PAJN) & East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT)

faintfuzzy

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:30:24 AM »
Just got back from the North Shore on Friday.  One of our adventures was a trip to Dilligham Airport on the NW corner of Oahu.  Not only will you see the 'PushMePullYou' there is a beautifully restored Stearman there, lots of L-19s, gliders, parachute s everywhere.  Busy beautiful place...2 1/2 year old grandson was a very happy little camper.
Rodg (watching the tan fade) Petersen
Wag more, a lot more.
N5009N

hotrod150

• When in doubt.....don't.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »
    The 'MixMaster'   Good plane but the rear engine has a cooling problem and the Continental IO-360 needs good cooling. If you get your twin rating in this plane the license will specify "Center Line Thrust" multi-engine. The Vietnam version was the O-2 Skymaster ...

I think the centerline-thrust twin idea makes good sense, surprised there aren't any (or many?) others. No critical engine or assymetrical thrust if one quits.
  The "oscar deuce" had a starring role in Bat 21, an excellent 1988 movie co-starring Gene Hackman & Danny Glover set in the middle of the Vietnam war, based on a non-fiction book of the same name.
Discretion is the better part of valor.

Pilawt

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »
It was a noble effort on the part of Cessna to come up with an idiot-proof light-light twin.  Of course, a higher form of idiot always manages to come along, and the accident record of the Skymaster series doesn't differ much from others in the class.

In its first year of production, 1964, it was the C-336 Skymaster with fixed landing gear:

For 1965 it was replaced by the retractable C-337 Super Skymaster.  Less obvious changes included redesigned rear engine cooling, restyled front cowl, increased wing incidence (so the cabin doesn't seem so nose-high in cruising flight), larger horizontal tail surfaces and shortened ventral fins.

Turbo and pressurized versions came along later.

Tests showed the rear engine to be more efficient and the Skymaster performed better OEI on the rear engine alone than on the front.  This prompted Cessna to experiment with single-engine, twin-boom pusher designs in the C-150 class to try to extract maximum performance from minimum power.  But problems inherent in the concept, such as cabin noise, control system friction and crashworthiness kept it from advancing out of the proof-of-concept stage.

There was another centerline thrust twin test-flown in the 1960s, the French-built Moynet Jupiter:

Jeff Jacobs
C-172N-180
KVUO / Vancouver, WA

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 12:32:40 PM »
Well, more recently, there was the Adam A500...

What a shame that company failed.

However....when Googling for this photo, I was surprised to discover that there's a new effort going to try and resurrect the design, improve it, and (eventually) get it into production - and this effort is based in our own backyard, at Skagit Bayview!  This is certainly news to me.  Hope it actually happens (we'll see...).

From AOPA, just this past April: Adam A500 aircraft to rise again
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
BTW, the French usually do a very nice job with design, but man, that Moynet Jupiter is one butt-ugly aeroplane.
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

CJN

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 04:10:54 PM »
And don't forget the WWII push-pull Dornier Do 335 fighter, not twin tail (unless you count the upper vertical tail and the lower vertical tail, as two).

Avionics

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 07:53:30 AM »

The only thing that I don't like about it is that you can't open the door if the flaps are down.
I find that quite scary.

Tony
C-GICE
Huh?
I own Avionics Shop, Inc., at KTIW.... call me Crazy Dan!

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 10:04:02 AM »
The Mixmaster is a fantastic airplane.  Steve Soper used to do a full aerobatic routine in a stock 337 on the air show circuit after he lost the use of his legs.
John Smutny
http://northwestskyways.blogspot.com/
Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

hotrod150

• When in doubt.....don't.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »
BTW, the French usually do a very nice job with design, but man, that Moynet Jupiter is one butt-ugly aeroplane.

Looks like a cross betwen a mooney & a variviggen.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:56:27 PM by hotrod150 »
Discretion is the better part of valor.