Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: Winter flying is here.  Cool, smooth air.  Oh...OK...maybe some snow on the runways and a few foggy days.  Perhaps a driving rain storm or a blizzard.

Author Topic: Any Grumman pilots here?  (Read 5348 times)

Brian McNeill

• Home Address "wild blue yonder"

Any Grumman pilots here?
« on: October 22, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »
I have decided to down size to a Grumman AA1 or AA1-A-B or C . My question is this...I am looking at a 1969 AA1 with a 150 HP engine. I know it had a higher stall speed and the later models have an improved wing design. I have read un-experienced pilots should steer away from the 1969 model, however experienced pilots actually like the quick handling
characteristics of it. I am experienced so how does this model handle with a 150 HP engine? I intent to fly it myself before committing but anyone know these models well?

Thanks
1977 Commander 112B Hot Shot
KEAT Wenatchee WA

CubFlying.com

• '58 Super Cub, '75 Schweizer 1-35
    • Cub Flying

Re: Any Grumman pilots here?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:09:32 AM »
A friend of mine was looking at the AA1 a few months back.  He only got one insurance quote and it was significantly higher than the 1A.  I suspect his flying experience level had something to do with that, but it is worth checking out.

DLH
Daryl Hickman, ATP, CFI
Airplane and Glider
KLCG

zam

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:41:06 AM »
What are you downgrading from? Won't the limited range cramp your style?
I had some time in an AA1-A  as a student pilot years ago -- it was way more fun than the Cessna 150s.

Brian McNeill

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »
I am down sizing from a Beech Bonanza 35, I am 1/2 owner of. I  dropped the partner idea and want to own the whole plane
for near the same cost. I don't travel cross Country enough and my kids are gone or soon well be. The wife and I like the
Grumman design and only need two seats.

Does anyone have a reason why I should not buy a 1969  AA-1 WITH A 150 HP Lycoming? The stock power plant is a 108 HP
I like the idea of more HP (Tim the Tool man grunt...ouugg..ouug..)

Brian
KEAT Wenatchee WA

Klaus

• NOTAM : Altitude Creates a Sense of Euphoria
    • Klaus Website

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
  I have experience with the 150hp AA-1 Yankee with the better wing. The modified leading edge wing works as good as any, but the original Jim Bede design is just more fun.
  The 150 horse makes for a very fast, efficient and stylish plane with few competitors. The O-235 cuts into the useful load and if you add the 10 gal aux system it will bring the useful load closer to 425lbs.
  I would be very surprised if the Yankee flight characteristics are challenging for a Bonanza pilot.
Klaus Marx
        N6802B
1956 Tailwheel Piper Pacer PA-22/20-150
Juneau, AK (PAJN) & East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT)

25square

• PILOTS DO IT IN THE AIR!

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 02:31:03 PM »
You have 10 minutes to decide :o

Dave Wheeler

• Providing Aviation Services for our Friends
    • Aviation Service Center

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 05:54:22 PM »
My first 5 or so thousand hours as a CFI were in the Grumman/American/Gulfstream series airplanes.  The true Yankee the AA1 is by far the most fun to fly of all of the planes, and with the extra HP it will actually have some climb performance on a warm day.  As some said, the 150 is a bit more thirsty than the 108 so at least the 10 gal aux fuel would be good. 

If you need or want more info please feel free to contact me.  By the way, but not to be confused with advertising, I am also recognized by the American Yankee Association (AYA) as a Pilot Familiarization Program CFI to do a comprehensive checkout in the plane.  It will get you a discount on your insurance if insured through the AYA's insurance agent.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:58:52 PM by Dave Wheeler »
Dave & Janis Wheeler
KAWO - Arlington, WA

PA28-140 - PA28R-200 - J3C-65

Providing Aviation Services for our Friends

Brian McNeill

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 09:18:23 AM »
Thanks, I will go check the Yankee out this weekend and hopfully will not find any suprises like corrosion.
Gee Dave only the first 5000 hours? LOL, I would say your an authority on the subject thats for sure.
I have a CFI friend that also used to own one and has near 1000 hours so I can use him locally to get
checked out.

Thanks again
Brian
KEAT Wenatchee WA

hotrod150

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 10:29:59 AM »
  I know several people who fly Yankees, both stock engined & 150 horse. They like them, fast & sporty to fly. Two of them fly yankees with the DMA tailwheel conversion (the geometry of which makes for some interesting landings!), one is already a 150 horse and the other has the stock engine but the owner has the Crosby stc in hand for the 150 horse upgrade.
  None of the folks I know fly the original AA-1 version, I have heard that it has much sharper stall characteristics than the A B & C versions. I don't think that MicroAero or BLR has a VG kit for the AA-1, I wonder if something like that might really help. Micro is right over here in  Anacortes and they might be willing to work with you on a VG set-up if you were interested.
  The small fuel tanks might be a bummer. I have a 150-horse Cessna 150 which (stock) has the same size tanks as a yankee (25 gallon), but mine has been upgraded to aftermarket 40 gallon tanks which is a lot more convenient. Are the aftermarket Yankee LR tanks in the wings, or the baggage area?

Eric
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:16:11 PM by hotrod150 »

zam

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »
Dave Wheeler, weren't the original Yankees 10-15 knots faster than the later AA1 models?

Dave Wheeler

• Providing Aviation Services for our Friends
    • Aviation Service Center

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 04:26:52 PM »
Hi Zam.  Almost.  The AA1 was faster both in top speed and approach by about 10 mph, not Kts.  The AA1C with the O-235 L2C instead of the C2C had better performance than the 1A's and Bs.  And it could be upgraded to 125HP  with a simple STC.  All in all, I like The Yankee the best. 
Dave & Janis Wheeler
KAWO - Arlington, WA

PA28-140 - PA28R-200 - J3C-65

Providing Aviation Services for our Friends