Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: Summertime!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Malaysian Airlines 777 Missing  (Read 2859 times)

holger

Re: Malaysian Airlines 777 Missing
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
Cool Holger, I didn't know you were a ham also.  I have a dual band rubber duck antenna on the belly of my Alon that works great to track with APRS too through a Kenwood TH-D7 handheld.  It works great, and constantly puts out heading, altitude and speed readings every minute.  Have used it to Oshkosh and back and found tracking worked almost 100 percent of the time across the US.  Even when I forget to bring along the radio, I find that the Android the  APRSDroid  app works almost as good transmitting packets through the cell data up to at least 5k feet.
Marty WA7HOI
Sweet, I didn't know about APRSDroid. Thanks for the tip, Marty, I'll try that out.

Holger

martyduke

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »
Interesting info about data still pinging to satellites for an service Boeing offers, but Malasia Air doesn't subscribe to.
Marty
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2014/03/13/debris-spot-shown-china-images-says-official/r1Riv5CsBoqfK3Ah2gysQK/story.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:37:43 PM by martyduke »

N804RV

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
Interesting info about data still pinging to satellites for an service Boeing offers, but Malasia Air doesn't subscribe too.
Marty
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2014/03/13/debris-spot-shown-china-images-says-official/r1Riv5CsBoqfK3Ah2gysQK/story.html

I believe this is the flight data monitoring via the ACARS datalink system I mentioned in an earlier post.   Not surprised that Boeing officials are publicly being mum about this.  It sounds like there is a lot to this story that has not been made public (I'm guessing for political reasons).
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit in work!

hotrod150

• bustin' minimums since 1995

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »
  Weren't they also saying that some pax's cellphones were pinging?
Fly low and maintain radio silence

martyduke

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
I think the cell phone thing was that the callers phones heard ringing instead of going directly to voicemail, as sometimes happens when a phone is turned off.  This doesn't always mean anything, as it will many times ring while the circuits are hunting for various networks that a cell phone may be on, probably more likely on international call attempts.
Marty

Skyking3286

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 10:51:27 AM »
And I saw a piece on TV that said that was especially true in international calls.   They put the ringer in the tone because people would hang up if they just heard silence while the towers searched for the phones.  When you think about it, it is a miracle that you can call a number and the technology knows which tower to ping to get you.   You could be anywhere.  We get pretty used to instant results in the good old USA.

tosten

• Northwest Bound

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Paul
Private Pilot, Instrument Rated, English Proficient
Plus One Flyers-KMYF

C150Heavy

• (5GPH * 4DPG) = C150 Burning MOGAS
    • Chinook Flight

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 07:58:03 PM »
Here are my top concerns and questions that I would ask and think about if I where an investigator.

1. Does the number 370 mean anything, as in the flight MH370? Any certain date 3-7-00 of a terrorist attack or a battle over a country? -MH370 could have been targeted.
2. What was the published and filed calculated weight and balance including fuel amount on board MH370? Did pilots take on more fuel? The media assumes a certain amount of distance based on fuel. But the B777 can take more if needed. Could have taken off over gross weight.
3. A wife of one of the passengers told media the other day that her husband gave her his watch and wedding ring and told her, "I want you to have this just encase something happens". - That's a red flag! Whats the background of this passenger
4. The Co-pilot/1st officer let passengers in the past join him in the cockpit during takeoff, cruise and landing to watch. That's a huge NO! You as a crew member can not allow this. There are pictures to prove it.
5. We need more background info on pilots and all crew members + passengers.

Commercial Airliners just don't fall out of the sky! The B777 is one of the safest and best aircraft ever built!
Evan Seitz
Chinook Flight Ltd. & Puget Sound Flyers LLC.
"Flight Training & Simulations"

N3182X
1966 C-150G
KPAE-Paine Field WA

Private Pilot, SEL, SES

Rod

• Spencer Aircraft      Aircraft Hardware and Pilot Supplies online store

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
now they say somebody took over radio communications!   This is just so unreal!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-flight.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:47:24 AM by Rod »
www.SpencerAircraft.com Aircraft Hardware and Pilot Supplies
Where General Aviation Lands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYDddPufLpk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

N804RV

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »
CNN is reporting that the 53 year old pilot had a "flight simulator" in his home.  Gee, ...I have MS FlightsimulatorX running on a PC in my home.  I'm such an outlaw!

I fear "flight simulators" will become the "evil black rifle" of the airplane nuts.

There is so much conjecture and flat out fantasy being reported now.  This story is just out of control. 

I was listening to one aviation official who said the idea of a successful hijacking resulting in a successful landing at some secret location is absolutely preposterous.
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit in work!

BruceAir

• BruceAir

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »
The basic plot may have been written c. 1969--see this item at my blog.
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

will moffitt

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »
The basic plot may have been written c. 1969--see this item at my blog.

would not surprise me.  Too many nuts in this world.

will

hotrod150

• bustin' minimums since 1995

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
....I was listening to one aviation official who said the idea of a successful hijacking resulting in a successful landing at some secret location is absolutely preposterous.

What happened on 9/11 was preposterous also, until it happened..  10 or 20 years ago, who would have thought that a bunch of third world pirates from the Horn of Africa (Somalia) could present such a danger to the big  freighters & tankers transiting the Gulf of Aden.
  I think hijacking and landing the airplane somewhere is now the most likely scenario. There are plenty of hostile-to-everyone countries within the possible range of that airplane-- I'm sure at least one of them has an abandoned or at least semi-deserted mile-long airstrip somewhere which could take a triple-7. Then what? Maybe disguise it as a legit aircraft, load her up with explosives or a suitcase nuke, pick a target, file a legit flight plan, and fly it into history.. 
Fly low and maintain radio silence
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4