Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: Fall is Falling!  Keep Flying!

Author Topic: 88NV  (Read 960 times)

trucktent

88NV
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »
I'm flying to that thing in the desert known as Burning Man the last week of August. Airport identifier is 88NV. The airport only exists one week a year. This year it's August 26 to September 2.

Anyone else flying down this year or have done this in the past? I plan to leave Seattle on the weekend and will explore what catches my attention on the way. Looking to overnight somewhere in south central Oregon or northern Nevada on the way down. Any favorite air camping locations and preferred routes you want to share. I'm up for joining a plane or two to make the flight.

Yes, it will be dusty.
James
Piper Pacer PA20-150
KBFI - Seattle, WA

ErikU

• Utter Associates

Re: 88NV
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
I really like Truckee CA, very near Lake Tahoe.  Not sure about camping though.
BE-35 'S' Bonanza - Seattle - BFI

Domenick

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:46:53 AM »
I'm flying to that thing in the desert known as Burning Man the last week of August. Airport identifier is 88NV. The airport only exists one week a year. This year it's August 26 to September 2.

Anyone else flying down this year or have done this in the past? I plan to leave Seattle on the weekend and will explore what catches my attention on the way. Looking to overnight somewhere in south central Oregon or northern Nevada on the way down. Any favorite air camping locations and preferred routes you want to share. I'm up for joining a plane or two to make the flight.

My plane partner is taking the Warrior.  He has gone many times and knows the fly-in scene very well.  I have emailed you his email address.  He would be happy to talk to to you.

My suggestion is to bring cowl plugs, foam to plug whatever other engine compartment openings you have, foam to plug the intake port, duct tape or equivalent to cover any air vents, cover for pitot and static ports and stall detector, metal reflectors for all the windows (or a canopy cover), and DO NOT GIVE ANY RIDES.  Change your oil, oil filter, and air filter the moment you get back.  Expect a bump in silicon on your oil analysis.  Wash the plane with COPIOUS amounts of water upon return.

The idea it to hermetically seal the plane for its stay and not open it until you leave.  The first time my partner went we were cleaning dust out of the cockpit for a year. 

If you have a canopy cover make sure it is as tight as you can get it over the windshield.  Dust can get under it and with any movement of the fabric act like sandpaper. I will suggest to my partner to cover our brand new windshield with Glad Stick & Seal plastic wrap under the canopy cover.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:13:41 PM by Domenick »
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54098312/flying/index.html

trucktent

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »
I'm back from that thing in the desert. 88NV may be the most dangerous airport in the US. It's had several fatal accidents in its short 1 week a year existence. No accidents this year. I counted over a hundred planes parked in the tie downs. The FAA was also there in force and were remarkably good people.

I survived the whole week. Didn't take anyones advice to tape the plane up and not give rides. What's a plane for if you don't use it and share the joy. The plane stayed remarkably clean inside and out. It helped that it wasn't that dusty of a year. The biggest challenge was getting there and back with the late season fires and thunderstorms this year.  Definitely a bucket list item checked off.

I wished I had some photos to share.
James
Piper Pacer PA20-150
KBFI - Seattle, WA

hotrod150

• When in doubt.....don't.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
I've heard of Burning Man for years but never understood what it was about. I just read "what is bruning man", the burning man mission statement, and the "ten prinicpals of burning man" on the official burning man website and have to admit that I still don't know what it is about.
Discretion is the better part of valor.

Domenick

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 08:32:18 AM »
My plane partner was there.  Here are some photos and/or vids:

BM2013 clip dump

https://picasaweb.google.com/109471077600458505652/BM2013?authkey=Gv1sRgCJiT8eqj2ujkcw#

https://picasaweb.google.com/109471077600458505652/BM2013Pinhole?authkey=Gv1sRgCIedhqbyr5WtXA#

https://www.google.com/search?q=burning+man+2013+photos&num=100&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=W1L&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=50YrUpLWFo3liwLS_oAY&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=831&bih=539
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54098312/flying/index.html