Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: Summertime!

Author Topic: Pponk Conversion and Prop  (Read 1410 times)

mrchipz

Pponk Conversion and Prop
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:00:07 PM »
Calling for all information on props for a Pponk conversion.

We are having a Pponk O470-50 installed in our 182B. I am very comfortable with the Pponk conversion, but need some input on prop options. Any experience info out there regarding the performance of a 2 blade vs. a 3 blade prop. Obviously we don't need the climb performance with most of our flying done at sea level. How about cruise and are we taking full advantage of our engine if we go with a C58 prop?

Any advice is appreciated!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:06:48 PM by mrchipz »
KPWT - Skylane
SEL - Instrument
Pilots for Christ - WA

Tom-D.

Re: Pponk Conversion and Prop
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 07:35:36 PM »

skywag

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:19:41 PM »
I'd stick with a two blade. Lighter, much cheaper, and faster.

I doubt you are going on floats where a three blade might pull you up on the step better, but not much.

The P-Ponk engine is a great addition.
Desert Aire Airport Manager (M94)

Klaus

• NOTAM : Altitude Creates a Sense of Euphoria
    • Klaus Website

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
   I didn't think you had too many choices once you install the PPonk engine. We run the three bladed McCauley Black Mac on our 180 on Aerocet floats. The combination gives us a 120 knot cruise with over 1100 lbs. useful.
  Do your homework before changing over to the three bladed prop. The engine mount was designed and test for a two blade prop and the three blade WILL break the factory mount. I've seen it happen a number of times now. Seaplanes West makes a special mount for three bladed propellers on  Cessna 180 series planes.

http://www.seaplaneswest.com/enginemounts.html

Good luck with your new -50 engine. We wouldn't have anything else on our 180.  :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:27:27 PM by Klaus »
Klaus Marx
        N6802B
1956 Tailwheel Piper Pacer PA-22/20-150
Juneau, AK (PAJN) & East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT)

jtownsley

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »

It's a great conversion, however consider the noise footprint.  The two bladed prop goes supersonic at the tips at full power and is LOUD.  That's fine if it's on your ranch in the boondocks.  Not so fine (at least in terms of building good will toward the airport) if anyone lives near by.

Frank

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:11:56 PM »
I would put the money towards a Commander.

skywag

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:03:11 AM »

It's a great conversion, however consider the noise footprint.  The two bladed prop goes supersonic at the tips at full power and is LOUD.  That's fine if it's on your ranch in the boondocks.  Not so fine (at least in terms of building good will toward the airport) if anyone lives near by.
ave you heard a P-Ponk McCauley "401" 3 blade 86 inch prop on a 185.

At 2850 RPM, that prop is louder than ANY two blade ever made.
Desert Aire Airport Manager (M94)

garygoodguy

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:56 AM »
Lots of studies and actual related experience has shown that the 3 blade climbs better but slows you down a couple knots in cruise.  Most 3 blades are quieter that 2 and that is a serious consideration on the pponk which raises redline rpm.  A neighbor at D-point had a pponk 182 and he could irritate people with full power, but it was a very fast 182 having a bunch of speed mods done to it.  He flight planned at 150 KNOTS for crosscountry and could easily cruise with indicater in the yelow arc.....but at a penalty in fuel burn.  The choice of prop comes down to your usual flying mission.

hotrod150

• bustin' minimums since 1995

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »
I'd have a talk with Knopp about it. Have you looked into the MT composite props? Not sure what's approved for the Ponk 470/520's but most of the people that have these lightweight props love them.
Fly low and maintain radio silence

114SM

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »
I was going to do the PPonk conversion w/ the 3 balde prop in my 75 182P before life changed and I was forced to sell it immediately to keep my house etc.

From what i remember (8 years ago now), the 3 blade was actually lighter but probably would be more to overhaul with the extra blade. When I bought my current plane I as going through all the logbooks and when they upgraded the engine and prop from a 2 to 3 blade, I noticed the 3 blade was about 24 pounds lighter which surprised me but I was told that its due to the shorter blade lengths overhaul and lighter material in the prop. (Mine is still a metal 3 blade, not a composite). So Im not sure what to think as to the reasons why.

Tim