Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Eastern Washington Airport with Fruit Stand?  (Read 1505 times)

nagoodman

Eastern Washington Airport with Fruit Stand?
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:57:31 AM »
The wife and friend need about 20lbs of cherries for a little "brandied cherries" project.  Of course, as an aviator my first thought is: "I wonder if there's an Eastern WA / Northern OR airport with a fruitstand walking distance from an airport." 

I'm sure folks on this board know how to connect very disparate things (cherries and flying) if it will provide an excuse to get up there...

So.... anyone know an airport in Eastern WA that has a fruit stand within walking distance so I can make my wife happy AND go flying?  ;)

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

Re: Eastern Washington Airport with Fruit Stand?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »
Oh, yeah.  ;D

I do at least one cherry flight every summer. Use the forum's search function, search for "cherries" and you can read about previous fruit hauls.

There are several that come to mind.  Wenatchee has often been my first choice, as it's close and (has been) easy (some things there may have changed). One thing Wenatchee had going for it was multiple courtesy cars and many fruit stands. The courtesy cars may no longer be an option (FBO closed). The is one small stand within easy walking distance so it could still work. Yakima has been my other go-to spot for cherries. No stand on the filed, but couresty cars should still be available there.

Hood River might be anothe option - not su but would be worth a try.
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

jcadwell

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
Hood River 'may' have a stand.  They have before, as they are bordered by orchards.  At the very least they have a courtesy car, and a great museum.

nagoodman

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »
Thanks all... Hmmm.... Maybe I'll have to try all 3 airports in a little round about, just to check out my options.  ;)

Frank

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 06:31:15 PM »
Hood River had a courtesy car for use.  Not sure they still do but I intend to call and find out pluse inquire when the cheeries are ready.  There are many places close to the airport that have cheeries.  Also the Hood River folks behind the counter are helpful with directions to the places.

Les

• Global Moderator
    • Les Flue . Com

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »
Contact McCornicks in Yakima. They have a courtesy car and the owner is a cherry farmer. Call them and they even have been known to bring them to you.
- Les
N113CM
KYKM
http://www.lesflue.com

jeredp

• Aeroworks Northwest

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »
Fly into Cashmere, there is free courtesy car, new pilot and about 50 fruitstands withing 20 miles, including the Stemilt store. World famous applets and cottlets, and the amazing Country Boys BBQ. Plan for fuel in Wenatchee or Chelan, nog gas at Cashmere. Let me know if you want more info.
1956 C-172
8S2

Domenick

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 07:54:32 AM »
Fly into Cashmere, there is free courtesy car, new pilot and about 50 fruitstands withing 20 miles, including the Stemilt store. ...

Cashmere is nice airport with a well-maintained 1800' runway.  Not sure what you're flying and your comfort level, so just be aware.
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

DAS74

• Mooney M20C N6578U

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
Contact McCornicks in Yakima. They have a courtesy car and the owner is a cherry farmer. Call them and they even have been known to bring them to you.

I can second this.  I called ahead a few years ago and when I pulled into the FBO they had a 20lb box of big juicy Bing cherries waiting for me at wholesale price.

KRNT
ATP, CFI-A-I-ME