Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: OPA Sub-Forum  (Read 1607 times)

Ray-Ban

OPA Sub-Forum
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »
Is there anyway we could get an OPA forum in here like there is a WPA? I am out of state for school until May and can't really keep up very well with aviation happenings in Oregon. Might be nice to have a place specifically for Oregonians to chat about our organization.

Off to Navy OCS - Be Back in January

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

Re: OPA Sub-Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
I have contacted the officers of the OPA several times, offering to do exactly that: to provide a free, no-strings-attached sub-forum for the Oregon Pilots Association here, just as we do for the Washington Pilots Association.  The OPA leadership declined the offers.

I have not checked with them recently, but when I did reach out to them last year, IIRC they had an abandoned Yahoo group that had a total of four or five posts over the previous year and their web page had a dead link to a nonexistent forum.  I contacted them and asked them if that was really what they wanted, offering this forum's large established user base and high level of activity. They said they feared that if we set up a forum for them it would fail (their experience with the Yahoo group, I guess), and said they preferred what they had (no online forum) to one that might fail.  I tried to assure them that there were plenty of eyeballs and clicking keyboards here (and many of their members) but they just said they weren't interested.

I don't understand their reasoning, but I'm certainly not going to push it on them if they're not interested, and they clearly were not.  Although I'm not sure that their choice represents the best interests of Oregon pilots (who I think would benefit from a greater/easier online presence and more visibility), that's up to the OPA guys to decide, so I let them know the offer would remain open if they ever changed their minds and wished them well.

So the offer is still open and will remain open if they ever want to reconsider.  The same offer is open to the Idaho Aviation Association (IAA) and for the organization that represents pilots in BC (BC Aviation Council?) if they are interested, too.  FWIW the IAA does have on online forum which is functional although not terribly active (at least right now - there's more activity there in the summer); I'm not sure about the BCAC (wasn't there a BC Pilots Association once? I can't find them...or maybe I just imagined them?).

Anyway, bottom line is: I'm happy to provide a dedicated sub-forum for OPA (or IAA or BCAC) if they're ever interested - all they need to do is say they want one.

Note that I'd rather see these dedicated sub-forums used primarily for their organization's communication to members/pilots on current issues or news relating to their group - rather than dividing us into separate forums to discuss flying in each of the states/province.

Hope that all seems reasonable and makes sense.
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

Ray-Ban

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »
David,

Completely understandable, very frustrating. Could we make it just for the members to post on? We don't have to have the officers here to orchestrate it, right?
Off to Navy OCS - Be Back in January

Al Gilson

• Global Moderator
  • "Go Eagles!" (I'm on the left)
    • Hangar 49

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:28:15 PM »

Note that I'd rather see these dedicated sub-forums used primarily for their organization's communication to members/pilots on current issues or news relating to their group - rather than dividing us into separate forums to discuss flying in each of the states/province.

Hope that all seems reasonable and makes sense.

David, the Washington Pilots Association uses a system to send out broadcast e-mails to their membership using the e-mail address the member provided at signup.  I use it as directed by our chapter board.  Unfortunately, many of the e-mail addresses bounce and their system does not allow attachments.

Al (multi-tasking...again)Gilson
Al (insert witty statement here) Gilson
Cuurently planeless
KSFF Spokane, WA
www.hangar49.info

nelsonfamily

• Gary and Alice

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
David, the Washington Pilots Association uses a system to send out broadcast e-mails to their membership using the e-mail address the member provided at signup. 

I have tried this method. It sounds simple. But it isn't so. The list of difficulties is long. And working on the problem does not cure it. In my experience anyway.