Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Nampa Municipal Airport (KMAN) - Overview  (Read 2343 times)

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

Nampa Municipal Airport (KMAN) - Overview
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
Introduction:
A great airport just west of the Boise metro area, Nampa makes a wonderful destination or a nice place just for a stop.  They've got a big runway in great shape, a surprisingly impressive museum with some historic aircraft, and an awesome FBO that goes out of their way to ensure guests feel welcome and have an enjoyable stay.  There are two courtesy cars, and a popular on-airport cafe located upstairs from the FBO, offering hearty meals and an outside deck with sweeping views of the airport.  There's 24 hour self-serve fuel, and they even have an air hose with compressor at the fuel pumps, for pumping up your tires just like automobile "service stations" used to have - a nice little extra detail. 

The airport is located in an area with plenty of hotels, restaurants and local attractions, so it's an easy place to grab a meal or a place to spend the night.  Note that Caldwell Industrial Airport (another field that can get busy at times) is located just a few miles northwest, so keep a sharp eye out for Caldwell traffic, especially when transiting to/from that direction.

I had a great experience at Nampa Municipal, and would highly recommend this field to any GA pilot.

Photos:

Local Reporting Points
There are no well-known local reporting points for this airport that we're aware of.
If you know of any, please add them in a reply below.

Other websites about this airport:

User Contributions Wanted!
Local knowledge and first-hand reports can be an important source of information for visiting pilots.
Please add your own PIREP, comments, corrections and updates below so others can benefit from your local knowledge and experience.

Disclaimers & Legal Stuff
My lawyer says to remind you that all the information contained here is certainly not intended for navigation, so please use it at your own risk. Always confirm any information you find online with an official government source, since we all know that the internet can be full of crazy stuff and you sure don't want to bet your life on that. Please be smart and fly safe. All contents of this website are © Pacific Northwest Flying, and may not be reproduced in any form without permission.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:03:06 PM by davidh »
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

Ddayle

• I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth.

Re: Nampa Municipal Airport (KMAN) - Overview
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:21:54 PM »
Wow, when Dave said the FBO goes out of their way, he was not kidding.   We pulled up to the self serve pumps and before we could exit the Cherokee two friendly ramp attendants walked up offered  to fill my the tanks to my specifications  (at the self serve price), and asked if I was staying.   we were, I  was pleased to hear there was no fee for ramp parking, and for a mere ten bucks they would use the tug to park my A/C in a shaded parking area.   I enjoyed the Museum,  the P-40's & tons of memorabilia,  but I am a nut for that kind of stuff.  They have a good display of engines too. A very nice office lounge and bathrooms.  Dave
Flying Juliette.  a borrowed 150

dotsuwa

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »
Picked up a couple of dogs in Nampa for a Pilots n Paws rescue yesterday. Pleased to report that all of the compliments bestowed on KMAN by David's PIREP still hold true. Great facility. Definitely will return and plan to spend more time checking out the museum. Another worthy note is the close proximity to the Owyhee Reservoir to the west of Boise/Nampa... Very scenic area to fly over and there is a dirt strip in the canyon for those tundra-endowed pilots.
Patrick Ayres, OD, PC
Bend, OR  KBDN
PA-28-180
N2049R

CJN

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »
I flew over to Nampa to see the museum on Friday, May 11.  A perfect day for it, with no clouds over the entire route, and light winds at altitude.  Caldwell was pretty busy, but Nampa wasn't (They're both on the same CTAF).

I enjoyed the museum, and I especially liked the P-51B on display.  The museum has fewer airplanes than those at McMinnville, Hood River, and Tillamook, but more memorabilia.  But like DDayle, I like that kind of stuff and it was great.  And had lunch at Starvin Marvin's airport cafe above the terminal/FBO.

Here is link to my GPS track.  http://g.co/maps/e5usv

And a picture taken on the way over of the McNary Dam on the Columbia River at Umatilla, OR, just North of Hermiston, OR.

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:37:55 PM »
Thanks for updating the PIREPS, guys! 
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

groupw

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 10:36:46 PM »
I always land at Nampa when going to the Boise area. Landed there yesterday and got the usual first class treatment. They have a new courtesy car -- a Nissan Altima with only 6000 miles on it. Nicest courtesy car I've ever had, and they said I could keep it for 24 hours although I only needed it for overnight. They still have the old ones which are perfectly serviceable.

They now have 91 octane ethanol-free mogas at a self-serve pump on the field. It was $3.87 a gallon -- don't know what 100LL was going for but I've been paying around $5.50 for it lately.

Cafe is open 7 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Food and service still excellent.

AOPA Directory says the FBO is open until 8 p.m. It's not -- it closes at 5:00. I let them know so they can get AOPA to correct the directory.

Caldwell, just a few miles away, was an absolute zoo a few days ago. They share the same CTAF so you can keep track of what's going on there. Be really alert especially if you're passing by there on your way to or from Nampa.

Roy

Pilawt

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 07:12:32 AM »
Agree with the good comments above.  A couple of years ago we were on our way back from Kansas City in the 172.  Nampa was to be our last fuel stop.  It was late in the afternoon and we were tired, so we got a shuttle to a nearby hotel to spend the night.  While we were still at the airport, one of the P-40s from the museum taxied out and put on an impromptu airshow.

Jeff Jacobs
C-172N-180
KGYR / Phoenix AZ

groupw

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 07:56:20 PM »
Stopped there a few days ago and I'm sorry to report that the excellent cafe is closed with no immediate prospect of reopening.

It's still my absolute favorite place to stop when in that area. As always, we got excellent service and a courtesy car. Filled the 150 with Mogas and left the next morning. It happened to be the day the museum was flying a bunch of warbirds, so we got to watch for a while.

Roy