Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: It’s flying season – time to make your plans.  (Read 9051 times)

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

It’s flying season – time to make your plans.
« on: May 20, 2007, 06:58:33 PM »
As I write this on a gray, rainy Sunday in late May, it doesn't feel much like summer outside. And while technically speaking the summer doesn't begin until June 21, I've declared that flying season will officially open in just a week or two (besides, it was over 80 degrees here in Seattle just a few days ago!).  It's time to start making plans for the warm, long, sunny days ahead.

I try to be smart about making plans for recreational activities, including flying.  I've found that if I don't pin a date down on a calendar, I never quite get around to doing some of the things I want to do – somehow work, commitments at home, or other things get in the way.  Before you know it, the days are short and cold, and it's time to put the Christmas lights up on the house.  And so, I've been thinking about my flying goals for the summer.

There are some flying goals that I have every year: flying in to the show at Arlington. Hauling fresh fruit over the mountains. Landing on the beach at Copalis.  Then there are the things that I've been meaning (or trying) to do for a while, but haven't managed to accomplish yet.  So I've been working on my list, and thought I would share it with you in hopes that it inspires others to start planning their summer flying activities and to share their own lists.

Here's what I hope to do this summer...

Fly to the far corners of the state.
When I first got my ticket, I set a goal of landing at every paved, public use airport in the state of Washington.  For a while, I made steady progress, and I've been to most of the state's airports.  But a handful of airports in eastern Washington have eluded me – getting to them requires a long flight from my home base in Seattle, and with an airplane that cruises at a speed that one friend charitably described as “stately”, I can only get to “the far east” when the days are long (I prefer not to fly much night VFR when I'm far away from the Seattle metro area). Well, the days are long now, and will be for about the next 2 months so I figure this is my chance.  I'm going to try to make an overnight trip or two out to the great eastern wilderness, and land at a few of the airports in the state that have eluded me thus far.  Maybe I'll get to them all this year, maybe not, but I do want to cross some of them off my list.

Haul fruit over the hills.
My wife loves fresh fruit.  Her favorite: cherries.  She doesn't enjoy flying much (she's prone to motion sickness), but it's a treat for her when I fly over to the Wenatchee area, load up the plane with cherries, and bring ‘em, home.  This provides me with a rare example I can point to and say, “see, honey, isn't it great that we have an airplane?”  I try not to miss this annual event for obvious reasons. Flying a humble Cessna 150, I am thankful that her favorite fruit isn't watermelons.

Fly into the show at Arlington.
It may not be quite as exciting as the traffic pattern entry at Oshkosh, but it's something that many of us can do without taking 2 weeks off from work and making a major commitment to fly most of the way across the continent (although I'd love to do that).  I love the Arlington show – it's big enough to keep me entertained for as long as my feet and brain can stand it, but it's small enough to run into friends and to let me feel like I've pretty much seen it all.  Since it's not too far from home, it's easy enough for me to fly up for the day, and I'm planning to do that at least one day (I'll probably take Friday off from work, assuming the weather cooperates).  I look forward to schmoozing with you all up there.

Land on the beach at Copalis.
Although I thoroughly enjoy traveling to hot tropical vacation spots, I'm a complete wimp when things get “hot” here in western Washington.  Yeah, I know, we don't really know "hot" around here.  All I know is that my house gets uncomfortably hot during that week or two every summer when we get our little “heat waves.”  I figure if I'm going to be sitting in front of a fan on the ground, I might was well go flying and sit behind the fan up front.  It cools off rapidly once you start climbing, and it's a short flight out to the ocean beaches, where it's cool and delightful - both literally and figuratively. Having the chance to land right on the beach is about as fun as it gets.  We are very blessed in this corner of the country to have a beach airport.  The fact that it's located in such a spectacular location makes it even better.  If you haven't made this flight yet, I highly recommend it (but be sure you know the tricks first – be careful with which patch of sand you use, watch out for people on the beech, etc.).

Fly the Olympic Peninsula Loop.
This is probably my favorite flight of all - it always leaves me with a renewed appreciation and perspective on life, counting my blessings.  I'm convinced you won't find any flight anywhere with scenery that beats this one.  I try to do this flight at least once every year, but looking over my logbook I see it has been way too long since I rounded the corner and tooted the plane's virtual horn while circling over Tatoosh Island.  We're very lucky to have natural treasures like the Olympic Coast which are so close – if you have an airplane to get there (without a plane the scenery's still great, but it requires a lot of time, dedication or both to get to where you can appreciate it).  Everybody should do this flight once in a while…it's absolutely worth it.

High desert adventure in the Alvord Desert.
I've heard about this place for years, and I'm going to try real hard to get there this time.  I've got the date on my calendar.  I've got permission from She To Whom All Things Must Be Justified.  I've rescheduled the annual on my airplane in order to have things all squared away with plenty of time to spare before the date.  I particularly like the fact that this year, it's planned for the peak weekend for the annual Perseid meteor shower, so it should be a spectacular show.  I'm going to do my best to make it this time.

Explore a bit more of eastern Oregon.
Although I actually lived in Oregon for several years, that was before I had a license and a plane. I've managed to explore the Oregon Coast, the Willamette Valley, and the south bank of the Columbia River, but I've had very limited chance to explore most of Oregon from the air.  There's a lot of beautiful country there and a bunch of airports I haven't visited yet, and I need to start working on that.  The trip to the Alvord will help, but I hope to branch out and explore Oregon a little bit more this summer.

Make a run for the border.
I haven't made a flight to Canada for two or three years, and I feel the urge to head north.  I probably won't have time for an extended visit, but would love to make a pie run to Chilliwack. This may have to wait until September – we'll see (but I consider that part of flying season, too).

So that's what I'm hoping to chalk up this year.  Given the fact that my job can be demanding of my time, and the fact that I'm going on an extended overseas trip in August and September, it's a fairly ambitious list, and there's always a chance that something may prevent me from getting to all these items, but I'm going to give them a shot.

How about you?  Please share your flying plans for the summer here…your ideas may inspire others to get out and fly more – which is good for us all.

- David
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

zero.one.victor

Re: It’s flying season – time to make your plans.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 08:05:03 PM »
  Regarding motion-sick wife: a friend of mine had a significant other who was prone to motion sickness if it was bumpy, but was fine in smooth air. Trouble was, ya never know until you're up there. She disliked taking dramamine unless really necesary, it made her kinda dopey. She went along on a couple trips when it got bumpy, and she had a decidedly bad time of it,turning very green around the gills. She heard about and got some sort of electric wristband aparatus which give the wearer mild electroshock treatments which eliminate the motion sickness. Best part was you could put them on even after you started feeling poorly and they'd even work then.
 You might want to get your wife one of these set-ups, maybe then she'd  enjoy flying along with you. Or not.   ;)

Eric

davidh

• Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 08:49:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but...been there, done that (tried everything under the sun, had little effect). Trust me, I've investigated every possible remedy for motion sickness (for her - I'm Mister Iron Stomach). None have proved reliable and effective (prescription meds work best, but even they have proved maybe 50% effective, and they come with unpleasant side effects).  Heck, she has gotten carsick while riding in the car to the corner Safeway - I'm not kidding.

She's a great gal, and she puts up with all sorts of moving vehicles when she has a good reason to (we're scuba divers, so she has had plenty of encounters with 'feeding the fish').  She's also very nice about it - she doesn't hassle or begrudge me my flying at all, but just isn't usually very enthused to ride along. Some people just are not built for it.

- David
David Herman

SeaAir

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 10:03:13 AM »
I am thinking about a trip to Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas to catch up with family.  On the way I think I might stop off at a couple of national parks and do a little hiking.

Warren

Jim L

• People say I talk about flying too much!
    • Hangar49 Podcast

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:09:48 PM »
I will have my new PPL in hand this summer. So I am going to just buzz around locally and take friends and family for rides.  ;D
Renter
N54036 Cessna 172P
KGEG

http://www.hangar49.info

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:24:09 PM »
I've been chomping at the bit for the flying season to get here....

This week, the 23rd through 26th, I'll be in Ephrata at an aerobatic training camp.

The Apple Cup aerobatic contest is June 22-24th. http://www.applecup.org/

Gonna fly into the Olympic Air Show on June 16th to watch some friends fly the airshow.

Green River Chapter (GRC) of the WPA is having a Poker Run on June 30th.  Elma, Shelton, Puyallup, Crest and finally Evergreen Sky Ranch for the final card and BBQ. 

Of course I'll be at Arlington all week for the Fly-In.  The Canadian Open aerobatic contest at Abbotsford is the following week.  The Beaver State aerobatic contest at Pendleton is early August and the last contest, the Apple Turnover, is the weekend after Labor Day.

The GRC will also have fly-outs just about every Saturday.  I'll be updating our WPA webpage soon to reflect that better.

After the Apple Turnover, I'm gonna load up the 172 and head south to Napa and/or Sonoma for a few days of wine tasting with my girlfriend.
John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

wilyoung

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 01:09:33 PM »
I'm getting ready for a trip to Colorado Springs in early June. Daughter and family "do" the CO Renne Faire in Larkspur.

Seriously considering the Alvord Desert flyout. Been there a few time by RV (6 wheels on the road type, not airplane). That should be a neat trip.

Local flying group (Jefferson County Pilots) have several flyouts planned for the summer and I hope to make a few of them. 
Wil
Jeffco 0S9
Symphony N1666A

wadehas

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »
Have a New Year's resolution to visit at least 5 airports I haven't been too before.  Currently, one down, four to go.

Also, looking to make my first really big trip, fly to my Dad's in Great Falls, and then visit some other friends and family.  Will make it about a week and half trip.  :)

-Wade H.

davidh

• Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 01:39:26 PM »
Well it's near the middle of August, and I can honestly say I've done pretty well against my list of planned (hoped for) summer flying.  Here's how the list looks so far:

Fly to the far corners of the state - Check.
Haul fruit over the hills  - Check.
Fly into the show at Arlington - Check.
High desert adventure in the Alvord Desert  - Check.

Explore a bit more of eastern Oregon - Well, I was at Burns and Redmond yesterday, I guess that counts as some progress.

Land on the beach at Copalis - Haven't made it yet this year.  Might not get that in this season.
Fly the Olympic Peninsula Loop - Haven't made it yet this year.  Still time to do this in the fall - whale watching season!
Make a run for the border/pie at Chilliwack - Haven't made it (ever).  Maybe in the fall. BTW, I've heard disturbing rumors about a change in management and a decline in the quality of the pie at Chilliwack - any truth to that?

Still, I consider this a good summer filled with flying adventures.  All of these were great, memorable flights.  Get out there while you can - the days are getting shorter and the first Christmas-related stuff will appear any time now so you know the dark, rainy season is coming....make hay while the sun shines!
David Herman

JohnH

• I fly for fun
    • Nanaimo Flying Club

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 05:31:19 PM »
Make a run for the border/pie at Chilliwack - Haven't made it (ever).  Maybe in the fall. BTW, I've heard disturbing rumors about a change in management and a decline in the quality of the pie at Chilliwack - any truth to that?

I was there 3 weeks ago, pie was as good as always.

Small culinary hint here........... if you plan on a piece of mud pie, don't eat anything else first or you won't have room to finish it. Guaranteed!!
John Hubbard
Plane-less in
CYCD

davidh

• Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 06:56:59 PM »
Good to hear that.  Thanks, John!
David Herman

R Kelley

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 08:11:46 PM »
As of the middle of last week, Barb and her son were still providing the hospitality at the Chilliwack Airport Cafe. She continues to bake an incredible number of pies - I had never heard of, let alone tried, Lemon Pineapple until last week but I think I found a new favourite. Well, that's done it, now I'm going to need to go out there in the next couple of days.
Randy Kelley
1946 Fleet Canuck
C-FDDW

"If I fly too fast, I might get there too soon"

skypilot172

• I usually fly GIWM, but this plane will do

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »

Still, I consider this a good summer filled with flying adventures.  All of these were great, memorable flights.  Get out there while you can - the days are getting shorter and the first Christmas-related stuff will appear any time now so you know the dark, rainy season is coming....make hay while the sun shines!
[/quote]

Hello,  it sure feels like Spring to me.  Still time to make and fly some plans for the summer, even tho it is officially Fall.  Or even a look back to see how you did.  BTW Chilliwack is as good as ever for pie, but I may have to make a trip out to check it out for myself, just to be 100% sure.

AS for me I landed at Roche Harbour---sweet!  Been wanting to do that for years, but never felt quite ready.  Also flew into Jeff Co.  on the weekend and enjoyed that very much.  Also on the the other side  of the 49th flew to 108 mile with my father-in-law, and returned.  Also flew into Echo Valley ranch that was especially amazing....about 1 hour flight time north of Whister/Pemberton area.

Maybe I will start planning next years adventures 8)
Patrick Mooney
Boundary Bay, Canada - CZBB
renting 172's from PFC