Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Tires  (Read 719 times)

bfrederick

Tires
« on: June 12, 2017, 08:12:53 AM »
I'm flying a C182 and thinking about changing the tires. My current tires are good quality tubeless tires but they've been on the plane for quite a few years and I'm starting to think it's time to change them just for safety reasons.
I see many/most of the higher rated tires are tube-type tires and it also seems good tubeless tires are very expensive. Does it make sense to switch over to tube/tire set up? Any reason for or against?

-Brad
C-182

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »
Are they really tubeless?
I would be surprised if that was the case.
I have never run tires on any of my 4 airplanes without tubes,
don't think I know anyone else who does so either (at least with the typical C206 or smaller airplanes we fly).
(in this context, bushwheels don't count)
Rated for tubeless use is not the same as running tubeless.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:45:12 AM by hotrod180 »

bfrederick

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:59 AM »
to be honest, I don't know if they are really tubeless or not. I was making a last minute inspection to ensure the correct size and noticed the "tubeless" text on the tires.

I guess I can assume from your comments that going tube is the way to go. It makes more sense to me that tubes would be safer.
C-182

SeaAir

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
Tires are one of those subjects where you get strong opinions - like oil, rich of peak/lean of peak, etc.  I'm not immune.  I always run Flight Custom III.  I find they wear the best and give good value for the money.

Warren

bfrederick

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:56:35 AM »
thanks, I was looking at the flight custom III and the II.
C-182

piperfan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »
Condor are made by Michellin and offer good product for price point. IMO, The Michillen and Good Year tires are overkill for our little planes due to price.

If money is no object, then Flight Customs or Mich. Air are both good. I think the Condors are just as good for a lot less $$$$.
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

Domenick

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »
Look into Desser Monster retreads with leak resistant tubes. Monsters have a great reputation.
https://www.desser.com/pc_combined_results.asp?pc_id=EB0A535B9E394DF0A877A2B6473D0473
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

hotrod180

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 08:15:23 AM »
I have a set of Desser retreads on GY cores and they are wearing (actually NOT wearing) like iron.

zam

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 01:18:36 AM »
Iv'e been less than happy with Desser retreads. I received two 4-ply retread tires having the same brand and size but in fact having slightly different diameters - a 1/4inch difference. This has caused me grief in my retract experimental. Also be aware that the 6-ply retreads are definitely BIG for their size rating, and take that into account if you've got a retract or wheel pants.

Dan_Root

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 07:14:13 AM »
Ensure you consult with an A&P, I've heard it's best to replace tubes the same time you replaces tires.  Makes sense to me.  New tires on old tubes could allow a fold in an older, stretched out tube = bad.

I did put new tubes in old tires, but believe that is okay as the tires have stretched, but the tubes being new, had not = no wrinkle or fold.

The part that stinks is I'll be needing tires soon and will have to repurchase tubes.
L8A - Slightly modified

hotrod180

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 08:44:24 AM »
Keep the old tubes for spares.
In fact, I carry a spare 850x6 tube
and a spare t/w tire & tube in the airplane with me-
along with a small tool kit & a tire pump.
I'd need to borrow or improvise a jack, but otherwise I try to be as self-sufficient as possible.
If you've ever had a flat on a small (or not so small) airport away from home,
you'll know what I mean.

Tom-D.

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 05:34:41 PM »
I'm flying a C182 and thinking about changing the tires. My current tires are good quality tubeless tires but they've been on the plane for quite a few years and I'm starting to think it's time to change them just for safety reasons.
I see many/most of the higher rated tires are tube-type tires and it also seems good tubeless tires are very expensive. Does it make sense to switch over to tube/tire set up? Any reason for or against?

-Brad
Unless they show actual signs of wear or weather deterioration, leave them alone. Your A&P-IA at annual will tell you when.

bfrederick

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 09:51:10 AM »
IA was thankful they were changed and appreciated the bearings and brakes being serviced too. They didn't really show signs of wear but I had no history of how old they were. I'd rather spend the money and have piece of mind when flying my family around. For me, it was a good decision. Plus they look good.
C-182