Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Privatize Air Traffic Control?  (Read 727 times)

tonyrob

• Global Moderator
    • The World According To Tony

Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly.
(Walmart warning label 1995)

N804RV

Re: Privatize Air Traffic Control?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:03:45 PM »
I'm taking a "wait-n-see" attitude.  The congresspersons and senators already know how I feel about it.  And, I'm so very tired of current version of politics.
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit mostly finished
         Wings in work

Klaus

• NOTAM : Altitude Creates a Sense of Euphoria
    • Klaus Website

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »
  The future of Aviation is starting to looking more like the Jetsons everyday. I don't know if privatizing is the answer but look back to the mid 70's when General Aviation got the big hit.

We are on the cusp of "Digital Stabilization". The technology that the drones are using to vertical fly wireless is the tech that will allow helicopters and other flying tech to be as easy to fly as your new Tesla autodrive.

How is this all going to go down is up to us. The guy who can figure out how to prevent a 100 million aerial vehicles from hitting each other will be a hero.

It's happening with or without us old guys accepting it or not.
Klaus Marx
Juneau, AK (PAJN) & East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT)

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:18:02 AM »
Some ATC is already privatized, isn't it?
I'm talking about contract towers.

Privatizing FSS's wasn't such a great idea,
as in getting PNW weather info from some yahoo in who-knows-where who's never even been here,
but it might be OK for ATC.

Flying Dan

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
I'll take the wait and see on this one myself.  Most of my flying doesn't involve ATC, but sure glad they are around.
L8A - Slightly modified

Domenick

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 07:40:01 AM »
How is the current ATC system is broken?
How will privatization fix what is broken better than simply adjusting the current government system?
Why do airliners experience takeoff and landing delays?
How will privatizing ATC shorten delays?
How exactly will privatization improve the ATC mission?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:41:36 AM by Domenick »
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

XsnowBoarderFL

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
How will privatization fix what is broken better than simply adjusting the current government system?

By adding user fee's that have been unsuccessfully added so far.  Don't you see the huge amount of fees we have been missing out on collecting?  Got to make it cheaper for the airlines to do buisness how to do so? Make those crappy weekend warriors cover the bill so we can Make some profit with out raising airfare. 

hotrod180

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »
Not to say user fees aren't part of the proposed program,
but since FSS was privatized I don't believe any user fees have ever been instituted.

I rarely use FAA ATC services, generally only when going into a towered airport.
I do use Navy ATC services fairly frequently flying through NAS Whidbey's class C airspace.
IFR traffic, esp commercial airline traffic, would seem to be the biggest  ATC users.
Are they paying their fair share?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:27:20 AM by hotrod180 »

skywag

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »
ATC services never recovered after Reagan fired most of the journeyman controllers in 1981.

The kids they hired never did catch on to the flexibility lost.
Desert Aire Airport Manager (M94)

groupw

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »
Those are not the relevant questions. The only one is "Who will profit from privatization?"

Follow the money!

Roy

hotrod180

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:28:51 AM »
I emailed my Congressman, Derek Kilmer, about this recently.
Sounds like he's against it, I got back this response from his aide yesterday:

I wanted to thank you for your recent note to Rep. Kilmer expressing your opposition to H.R. 2997 the 21st Century AIRR Act and the provision that seeks to privatize the Air Traffic Control (ATC) system.  I also wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself as I handle transportation policy issues for my boss here in Washington, D.C.

Rep. Kilmer shares your concerns with the ATC privatization proposal laid out in this bill and I expect he will oppose this bill in its current form should it be considered on the House floor.

First, there are legitimate concerns about inserting a profit-motive into a basic public safety function.  It would be immensely concerning to see a low-bid contractor nickel-and-dime air traffic control in an attempt to maximize profits.

Second, the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office (GAO) has issued a number of reports that lay out significant problems with privatization.  For example, the GAO noted that if a private corporation couldn’t adequately manage the privatized system, airline passengers and taxpayers may be put on the hook for a bail-out.  That’s a big concern for my boss.

Third, the Department of Defense has raised legitimate concerns about how severing the relationship between the DoD and the FAA through privatization could impact national security.

Fourth, Rep. Kilmer remains concerned about the cost burden that might be imposed as a consequence of privatization.  According to a study conducted by Delta, costs of air travel could up to 29% due to the user fees that would be established to replace the current federal funding.  This is a step backward, not forward.  In addition, we have heard from constituents who are concerned about the impact of switching to a user-fee funded system that may disproportionately affect smaller air carriers and private pilots that service many communities in our region.

Finally, many experts have raised concerns that privatization could negatively impact the ongoing progress made toward adoption of the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen), currently being managed by the FAA.  In fact, a GAO report found that there is no guarantee that private control would expedite this modernization effort.

I hope this information has been helpful, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly if you have any questions or would like to discuss this issue further.

Best,

Katie

Katie Rose Allen
Legislative Assistant
Representative Derek Kilmer (WA-06)
1520 Longworth House Office Building
katie.r.allen@mail.house.gov
202-225-5916