Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Looking for practice area information around Puget Sound  (Read 584 times)

JRo

• Little wheel goes in back.

Looking for practice area information around Puget Sound
« on: May 26, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »
I am based in Auburn, but have wings & can travel.  Can you all tell me about practice  areas (within 50 miles or so) of Seattle and the Advisory Frequencies.

Thanks in advance.

-Jeremy
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

will moffitt

Re: Looking for practice area information around Puget Sound
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »
Practice?  You mean as in akro?

will

JRo

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
By practice, I mean airwork for normal category flyers.

- Stalls
- Maneuvers
- Engine out practice

Etc... trying to shake the rust out of this old pilot.

-J
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

bryan_flying

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:20:16 PM »
It is very common for people to practice above and north of lake stevens - not so far from auburn but you have to navigate a lot of dense airspace to get there.
Several schools seem to practice over the valley from about monroe to about carnation - be warned some will call it "northeast practice area" while folks from harvey field will call it something else (I would announce duvall-carnation.)
There are surely some closer to auburn - call a school or flight instructor there, or at Thun field.
Always used the conventional plane-to-plane 122.75

rwanttaja

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 07:45:43 PM »
Traditionally, the Auburn flight schools have gone a few miles east of Lake Tapps as a practice area.  Not to much activity out there, these days.

Just make sure you're a few miles south of Evergreen and north of South Prairie. 

Ron Wanttaja

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »
Closest to you there are two informal practice areas, the Northeast Practice Area and the Southeast Practice Area.  People commonly announce on 122.75 for both of them.  They are split by the Tiger, Squak, Cougar mountain group. 

The SE area is, as Ron said, the plateau between Lake Tapps and the foothills.  Quite a few private strips there, they are all on 122.9.

The NE area is Snoqualmie River valley running from Fall City to Duvall area and the forest to the foothills.

Go get that rust knocked off!
John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 08:23:30 AM »
It'd be nice if people would ID by nearby towns, as in "Lake Tapps practice area" or "Duvall practice area". 
Those of us who didn't train at Auburn or Boeing  or Renton might not be familiar with just where those areas are.
And Auburn's "northeast practice area" might be different from Crest's or Harvey's or Thun's.
Kinda like the whole "island crossing" or "bend in the river" thing.

JMPilot

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »
It'd be nice if people would ID by nearby towns, as in "Lake Tapps practice area" or "Duvall practice area". 
Those of us who didn't train at Auburn or Boeing  or Renton might not be familiar with just where those areas are.
And Auburn's "northeast practice area" might be different from Crest's or Harvey's or Thun's.
Yea, I never did like the "bend in the river" thing. That's like saying..."over Mable's steak house". If one likes to use these obscure landmark names, how bout throwing in a "2 mile northwest" along with it. Just sayin.

N804RV

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 10:19:17 PM »
If I were at Auburn and just looking to do some basic air work, the first place I'd try (after looking over the Seattle TAC and the L-1 Enroute chart) is the area between Enumclaw, Buckley and the foothills.  For 3,000' and below, I'd bet that area would be fine as long as you're doing your clearing turns and keeping an eye out.
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit mostly finished
         Wings in work

Domenick

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:00:10 AM »
Those of us who didn't train at Auburn or Boeing or Renton might not be familiar with just where those areas are.
Yea, I never did like the "bend in the river" thing. That's like saying..."over Mable's steak house". If one likes to use these obscure landmark names, how bout throwing in a "2 mile northwest" along with it. Just sayin.

I'm with you. It was something I learned on my first true cross-country flight into unknown territory, fumbling with a paper chart while trying to fly solo, looking for one of those little VFR Waypoint flags. Eventually, I gave up and asked.

Arlington's Island-Crossing = "Arlington traffic, Island-crossing, 2 to the NW inbound ...
Harvey's bend-in-the-river = "Harvey traffic, 4 to the NW over the bend-in-the-river, inbound ..."
Harvey's over-the-landfill = "Harvey traffic, 2 to the south over the-landfill, inbound ..."

I remember being baffled my first time into Paine with "Report the tanks..."
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

JRo

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 06:32:39 PM »
FWIW ... my favorite practice route includes the Mariner transition over SeaTac and over north of Bremerton.  Feels less busy than Enumclaw area.  Biggest downside is that it's mostly forested terrain.
Home - 63MT
Current - S50