Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Passing through/around Salt Lake City  (Read 480 times)

jnegris

Passing through/around Salt Lake City
« on: May 12, 2017, 02:34:01 PM »
I'm planning on leaving KPAE for Canyonlands (KCNY) soon and will be transiting Salt Lake City from NW to SE. The shortest path is to cross the Restricted and MOA airspace just to the west of the Great Salt Lake, assuming they aren't active. Anyone done this? Any other recommendations for getting through this airspace? Seems like staying to the west of SLC is less fuss than getting squeezed between the class Bravo and the high rocks to the east. There are also VFR transition routes through the class Bravo that run E-W but they don't seem to be an advantage vs simply staying to the west.

James

groupw

Re: Passing through/around Salt Lake City
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:29:14 PM »
A few years ago I decided to fly just west of the Class B surface area but monitored the approach frequency. I heard the controller call out my position to several aircraft so I identified myself. He immediately cleared me into the airspace, gave me a squawk code, and directed me across the airspace in a VFR corridor. When I said I was unfamiliar with a waypoint, he was very patient and helped me navigate. So I highly recommend contacting SLC Approach before you reach the airspace and ask for a transition. I'm told by others that my experience with patient and helpful controllers at SLC is typical, so it's easy and pleasant to do.

Roy

jnegris

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »
Thanks, Roy. I'll do just that.

James

114SM

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 10:59:33 PM »
Salt Lake controllers are great (like most others too). Id just call them up and ask for a clearance through the Class B. If you hit a heavy arrival time they might say no, but theyll give you flight following Im sure.

Tim

dsieber

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:54:38 PM »
I did the route through the MOAs a couple of years ago. I made sure I had flight following the whole time. They confirmed that the areas were cold, and we had no issues.
Dirk
Flying with the AFC