Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Basic Med doctor list  (Read 1350 times)

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

Basic Med doctor list
« on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:20 AM »
Someone suggested that a list here of doc's willing to do Basic Med exams might be a good idea.
I agree, so here goes.
My AME told me that he & several of the docs at his office will be offering Basic Med exams.
I am doing one with him later this month.

Dr Roger Ludwig, The Doctor's Clinic in Silverdale WA, 360-782-3420
TDC also has an office in Poulsbo WA.
FWIW Dr Ludwig is a pilot.

A buddy of mine has a Basic Med exam scheduled later this month with
Dr Douwe Rienstra, The Rienstra Clinic, Port Townsend WA 

Also, AOPA has prepared a Physician's GUide to Basic Med,
it might be helpful to provide it to your doc:

http://aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/fit-to-fly-physician-guide
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:22:03 AM by hotrod180 »

Domenick

Re: Basic Med doctor list
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:32:31 AM »
Here is an AME doing BasicMeds. He posted his contact information to another thread on this forum:
Dr. Henry Hochberg, Edmonds, WA 425-672-2427
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

SunnySequim CessnaDriver

• N4692L 1966 Cessna 172G Sequim Valley W28.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:42:25 PM »
Here is an AME doing BasicMeds. He posted his contact information to another thread on this forum:
Dr. Henry Hochberg, Edmonds, WA 425-672-2427
Dr. Hochberg is a fellow pilot and very knowledgeable.
"It's better to fly an old Cessna 150, than to sit at home reading about jets."

JRo

• Little wheel goes in back. (or used to)

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:19:36 PM »
Here is an AME doing BasicMeds.

Although it's not what the FAA imagined, I predict that many AME's will be providing BasicMed exams.  They already have a framework to understand what 'fit to fly' really means, and it allows them to use their medical judgement.

But then again, I predicted my mother would never use the internet.
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

infodocta

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:29:52 AM »
Here is some basic stuff about basic med that often comes up:

Unless things have changed since March of 2017 here is my understanding of the basic med rules. IF YOU HAVE DIABETES AND EVEN HAVE A SPECIAL ISSUANCE YOU ARE SAFE! However my personal recommendation is to bring a note from your diabetes doc (if they are not the one doing the basic med exam) demonstrating good control of your diabetes. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable saying you are okay to fly if your diabetes is out of whack.

There are 10 conditions for which you must receive a one time FAA special issuance for basic med, even if you already have it (at least that's my understanding). Those categories are: Mental (4), Neurologic (3), and Cardiac (4)

The conditions are: Mental: Personality disorder, psychosis, biploar disorder, substance dependence. Notice, DEPRESSION, treated or not is NOT on the list

Neurologic: Epilepsy, disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of cause, and transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of cause

Cardiac: Myocardial infarction, coronary artery disease requiring treatment, cardiac valve replacement, heart replacement

If you have diabetes again, YOU ARE SAFE

Two other things to note: This is a flight standards issue, so the regional flight medicine office can't really answer any specific questions about it. It is entirely separate from what the AME does. If your AME chooses to do basic med he or she is doing it as part of their medical practice.If they choose not to they may not know anything about the basic med.

Secondly, you can't switch from your second or third class to basic med. You've got to choose what you're going to do. So your aviation medical can't be converted after two years to the basic med based on that exam you originally had, even though what's checked is really exactly the same stuff.

so, if you don't think you need to fly with more than six in the plane, above FL180 and faster than 250kts, you just need to find someone who is willing to perform the basic med exam for you.

Interestingly, the vision requirements to be measured include intermediate vision which is only found on second and first class medical exams, not third.

Hopefully I will now have you as thoroughly confused as all us docs.

By the way,,  an airman told me that you need the license number of the doc who will be doing the basic med exam to take the online medical knowledge test. Don't ask me why.

Henry Hochberg (AME)

tosten

• I heart flying

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 08:56:53 PM »
I'm a doc, but I'm not an AME, and I don't have an outpatient practice.  If you are looking for doctors who already do DOT physical (aka truck driver physicals), that's easy to find.  A few years back DOT required that all docs who wanted to sign off DOT physicals complete a training module and register with DOT. 

Here's a link to the registry.

https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/NRPublicUI/Drivers.seam

Paul

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things"  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

P35 Bonanza--KHIO

hotrod180

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »
AOPA's Physician's Guide to Basic Med explains to doctors that a Basic Med exam & signoff is very similar to a wellness exam, or a CDL exam.
So that puts it into a framework even your non-aeromedical docs can understand.

And no offense, Infodoc, but judging from your "unless things have changed since march" comment I'd suggest that you double-check to see what may have changed.--
esp if you're going to offer comments as a physician and/or do BasicMed exams.
BasicMed officially went into effect on May 1, and since it's a brand new process it wouldn't surprise me if something had changed in the two months in between.
In fact, things may still be changing as the process gets tweeked and/or clarified.
Again, no offense.

smutny

• G Junkie

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »
White River Family Care
Dr. Welsh
305 N River Ave
Buckley, WA 98321
John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

140 Flyer 75

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »
Dr. Kevin McKeighen
Enumclaw Medical Center
3021 Griffin Ave, Enumclaw, WA 98022

I would suggest that you visit your eye doctor, complete the vision check, and take results to the medical doctor first.  Then he can sign off everything at the same time.  That makes the Basic Med check quick and easy.
  Rich K
  Crest Airpark

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:46:40 AM by 140 Flyer 75 »

smutny

• G Junkie

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 12:52:15 PM »
My doc's assistant did the vision check. Easy peasy.
John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

hotrod180

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 06:32:21 PM »
I went to an AMEfor my BasicMed  and his office has a vision testing machine.
I dunno if non-AME doc's offices would have one,
but it seems like they would at least have an old-fangled eye chart (which IMHO is better anyway).

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
...but it seems like they would at least have an old-fangled eye chart (which IMHO is better anyway).

Which is what Dr. Welsh' office uses.
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

Domenick

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
I can now heartily recommend our own infodocta (Dr. Henry Hochberg) for either a class three (AME) or BasicMed (PCP). He took me through a BasicMed recently at his Edmonds office. Thanks, Doc!
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43