Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Bendix/King - Honeywell Avionics et al.  (Read 546 times)

Avionics

Bendix/King - Honeywell Avionics et al.
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »
Got an first ever Dealer Newsletter from Bendix/King. Had quite the announcement.

Effective July 1st, Field repairs to any (basically) of their legacy avionics, whether in production or not....... is NOT authorized. No more parts.

They can keep us from repairing their radios afterwards, because so much of their internal parts are simply not available anywhere else. They will (most likely) remove dealer online access to all of the maintenance/repair manuals, service bulletins, and other documentation. By doing this a business such as mine can no longer work on the equipment, due to not having access to current information.

I have seen the flat rate pricing information in the past, and its not pretty at all. I forsee alot of this stuff being trashed, or become worthless. Shades of NARCO, anyone?

I would post the newsletter, but instead of just plain text, it is a huge image file, and I'm not sure how to post that.

I knew this was coming...... But it's still a shock.
I own Avionics Shop, Inc., at KTIW.... call me Crazy Dan!

piperfan

Re: Bendix/King - Honeywell Avionics et al.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 10:21:33 AM »
but will they do Factory repairs? or most owners are stuck with legacy and forced to buy the latest and greatest?

I recall with the Narco fiasco, most of these units are still being repaired and kept up by canibalization of other Narco components. Old service and parts manuals etc. still floating around and If they meet and pass the old standards, seems to be working for Narco stuff.

I wouldn't panic yet. As an Avionics repair station, can you not repair these and properly test to industry standards? Besides the propriety or very unique parts, aren't most electronic bits and pieces just standard stuff? (ie resistors, capacitors, transistors etc )
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

Avionics

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:45:10 AM »
I see that I left out some information.

1. Yes, they want to do ALL repairs.

2. IF they withdraw technicall access to documentation, we can't legally repair it. They haven't done this yet, but if they say we are not authorized to work on it, then by removing access, it slams the door.

3. If it was just resistors, caps, transistors, and that sort of stuff... Then yes (mostly). But the documentation stuff is where guys like me get into trouble.

I only posted this, so that you all can plan long-term. We already have. We sell lots of Garmin Avionics. We are now one of Garmins biggest dealers in Washington State. It kinds of hard NOT to sell Gamin Avionics to be honest. So I'm the only one that is directly affected here at the shop. My installers are not affected by this at all.

I sent an email to my Bendix/King rep. It will be interesting to see what he has to say.
I own Avionics Shop, Inc., at KTIW.... call me Crazy Dan!

Pilawt

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »
'Tis a time to be grateful to be VFR-only.  If my KX-175Bs ever decide to stop working after only 40 years, I can get slide-in replacements from folks just up the road here in Phoenix.  For GPS navigation ... well, between Apple and Foreflight, with a little help from Appareo, I'm up to date.
Jeff Jacobs
C-172N-180
KGYR / Phoenix AZ