Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Vashon Improvements 2017  (Read 572 times)

trucktent

Vashon Improvements 2017
« on: May 01, 2017, 05:36:55 PM »
I see that the Vashon airport has some long awaited improvements out to bid. I haven't seen the bid documents just the description of the project. Improvements appear to include drainage and grading that will close the airport for some time.

Does anyone have more information on the improvements including length and timing of the upcoming closure?
James
Piper Pacer PA20-150
KBFI - Seattle, WA

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

Re: Vashon Improvements 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
Is there a website or someplace online you can aim me at where I can view the project description?
As far as timing, like most work of this type including road work it will likely be in the june- sept good weather window....
when most aviating also takes place.
Pretty hard to do dirt work when it's all mud.

trucktent

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »
Project is not well advertised.

http://www.washingtonbids.com/bid-opportunities/2017/04/15/7645158-Runway-Safety-Area-Improvements-Project-.html

I am not registered to view the project documents on this site. Addendum is viewable and states the contractor must start within 10 days from award with a 60 day schedule.

I rent a hanger here and I have heard several descriptions of the project over the last year.  I am in the dark.
James
Piper Pacer PA20-150
KBFI - Seattle, WA

hotrod180

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:15:38 AM »
A friend of mine is based there & isn't happy about this project.
Says it was approved in a non-transparent way by the airport board.
Also says it will shut down the runway for most if not all of the summer flying season.
I think Vashon is pretty soggy in the winter but I'm not sure if this project will improve that.
From the job description it sounds like they will be converting a drainage ditch into a culvert system.

You have to wonder about some of these projects.
My airport (Jefferson County) is looking at a proposed $2M (or more) total rebuild of our 27 year old runway in 2018.
The runway actually appears to be in pretty good shape, but supposedly the FAA is really pushing this project.
No actual specific problem has been identified, but planning is going forward anyway.
And once money has been allocated, or actually spent, there will be no stopping it.
Again, a summer-long runway closure will be involved--
luckily we have a parallel taxiway which we hope we can use to keep the airport operational.

trucktent

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »
Spoke to a person in the know about the project. Expected start will be after July 4th and last 60 days. Mostly drainage work and burying the power lines.  Strip will be closed for some of the work.
James
Piper Pacer PA20-150
KBFI - Seattle, WA

hotrod180

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »
So unless they have landing privileges at Wax Orchards, pilots based at Vashon are kinda screwed for the summer.