Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BasicMed Finally Released  (Read 1466 times)

fredq

• old pilots and bold pilots but few old bold ones
    • Dentist, insurance consultant, lecturer on sedation, docent MOF

Re: BasicMed Finally Released
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »
I decided to take the online course and test.  I did not open any of the explanation areas just went one screen to the next and got a 90% on the test.  However, I was unable to print the certificate.   It appears you must visit your MD for an exam first.  It is my understanding you must do the test every 2 years.  I wonder if it will print the certificate if it has been 3 years since your last visit to your MD.

Non of this effected me.  The FAA has been screwing with a special issuance for my medical since last September.  My physician and the cardiologist who did an ablation to get ride of Atrial flutter last May Say it is stupid.  You are more healthy than you have been in the last 15 years.  The only think they have not done is sent me to the TSA for a body cavity search. 
Fred Quarnstrom, DDS, CFII

will moffitt

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
One question I thought was a little humorous.

You and Joe want to fly to a flyin, 20 min flight.  You are tired, what should you do.

Decide not to take the 20 min flight and drive one hour instead.

infodocta

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44:16 PM »
I'll be interested in seeing how many docs are willing to sign on the dotted line that you're safe to fly. I'm not sure some of the bigger clinics will allow their docs to do these exams. Time will tell.

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 09:01:17 AM »
I think that's gonna be an issue. At least until everyone becomes a lot more familiar with the Basic Med program.
It almost seems like you need to make a doctor appointment just to discuss it.
You can try calling /emailing your doc but for a lot of HMO docs I think it's just a 9-to-5 job and they won't want to spend any of their own time researching it.
Hopefully better luck going with an AME or at least a doc who's a pilot.
I like Domenick's suggestion of making a list here of local docs who are on board with doing Basic Med exams.

hotrod180

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 09:16:58 AM »
.....They will have to sign on the dotted line not only that they've examined you, but also (don't recall the exact wording) that they don't think there's any reason why you shouldn't fly.  Maybe that's no big deal, maybe it is. 

FWIW Here's the sign-off verbiage from FAA Form 8700-2:

Physician’s Signature and Declaration □ In accordance with section 2307(b)(2)(C)(iv), of the FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016 (Public Law 114-190), I certify that I discussed all items on this checklist with the individual during my examination, discussed any medications the individual is taking that could interfere with their ability to safely operate an aircraft or motor vehicle, and performed an examination that included all of the items on this checklist. I certify that I am not aware of any medical condition that, as presently treated, could interfere with the individual's ability to safely operate an aircraft.

infodocta

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
I'm an AME. I did my first BasicMed exam today. Not a big deal as it's almost the same as a third class exam except the vision check is the same as a second class (far, intermediate and near vision) although there are no standards to meet. Technically there is no BP standard either but the FAA's acceptable BP is far above what I would consider healthy from a health perspective.

I have no problem checking the box that says there are no issues interfering with flying unless you have a dangerous problem you're trying to hide from the FAA.

If you can get your doc to do this exam for you just go in prepared. As there's actually paperwork to fill out that doesn't allow for a computer generated exam some of the bigger clinics might have an issue with that if they're electronic only. Have the certificate showing you passed the on line medical test with you. If you have a special issuance, bring that paperwork from the FAA. You can come and see me if you're worried but I'm not trolling for business here, I'm busy enough with my practice anyway but my goal is always to help pilots to continue flying!

You'll need my WA license number to print your certificate if you decide to come here: MD00025343 WA

Call if you think I can help. I'm in Edmonds.  425-672-2427
Henry Hochberg

hotrod180

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 09:04:34 AM »
.... Have the certificate showing you passed the on line medical test with you....

AOPA has a lot of online info about the Basic Med program.
This webpage

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

says to get your exam first, then take the online course:

"What do I need to do to fly under BasicMed?
1) Comply with the general BasicMed requirements (possess a U.S. driver's license, have held a medical after July 14, 2006).
2) Get a physical exam with a state-licensed physician, using the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist
3) Complete a BasicMed medical education course;
4) Go fly!"

FWIW AOPA has prepared a Physician's Guide to Basic Med.
Might be helpful to print it out and give it (or a link) to your personal doctor when you ask them about doing a Basic Med exam.

http://aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/fit-to-fly-physician-guide

infodocta

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 06:30:23 AM »
here is some stuff about basic med that is useful to know:

Unless things have changed since March of 2017 here is my understanding of the basic med rules. IF YOU HAVE DIABETES AND EVEN HAVE A SPECIAL ISSUANCE YOU ARE SAFE! However my personal recommendation is to bring a note from your diabetes doc (if they are not the one doing the basic med exam) demonstrating good control of your diabetes. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable saying you are okay to fly if your diabetes is out of whack.

There are 10 conditions for which you must receive a one time FAA special issuance for basic med, even if you already have it (at least that's my understanding). Those categories are: Mental (4), Neurologic (3), and Cardiac (4)

The conditions are: Mental: Personality disorder, psychosis, biploar disorder, substance dependence. Notice, DEPRESSION, treated or not is NOT on the list

Neurologic: Epilepsy, disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of cause, and transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of cause

Cardiac: Myocardial infarction, coronary artery disease requiring treatment, cardiac valve replacement, heart replacement

If you have diabetes again, YOU ARE SAFE

Two other things to note: This is a flight standards issue, so the regional flight medicine office can't really answer any specific questions about it. It is entirely separate from what the AME does. If your AME chooses to do basic med he or she is doing it as part of their medical practice.If they choose not to they may not know anything about the basic med.

Secondly, you can't switch from your second or third class to basic med. You've got to choose what you're going to do. So your aviation medical can't be converted after two years to the basic med based on that exam you originally had, even though what's checked is really exactly the same stuff.

so, if you don't think you need to fly with more than six in the plane, above FL180 and faster than 250kts, you just need to find someone who is willing to perform the basic med exam for you.

Interestingly, the vision requirements to be measured include intermediate vision which is only found on second and first class medical exams, not third.

Hopefully I will now have you as thoroughly confused as all us docs.

By the way,,  an airman told me that you need the license number of the doc who will be doing the basic med exam to take the online medical knowledge test. Don't ask me why.

Henry H (AME)
Pages: 1 [2]