Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BasicMed Finally Released  (Read 1652 times)

Klaus

• NOTAM : Altitude Creates a Sense of Euphoria
    • Klaus Website

BasicMed Finally Released
« on: April 24, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
  After reading a number of press releases I find that AOPA is the goto for any and all questions.

Everything we need to know should be on this page:

https://basicmedicalcourse.aopa.org/client/app.html?_ga=1.127076367.300901089.1493054245#/auth/logon

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/FAA_Form_8700-2_.pdf

I found in the pdf that you can carry an electronic copy of the documents so, I figure using dropbox. That should be better than carrying around a bunch of papers.

Who's going first?
Klaus Marx
Juneau, AK (PAJN) & East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT)

JRo

• Little wheel goes in back. (or used to)

Re: BasicMed Finally Released
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
   I found in the pdf that you can carry an electronic copy of the documents so, I figure using dropbox. That should be better than carrying around a bunch of papers.

I think I am going to put a copy in my EFB 'documents' section.

-Jeremy
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

SeaAir

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »
One limitation appears to be that it only works in the US.  If you fly to Canada it might not work for you.

W

XsnowBoarderFL

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »
I have a question.

The completed checklist shall be retained in the individual's logbook (in any legible paper or electronicformat) and made available on request.

so the logbook does not need to be kept with you at all times, but this checklist needs to be available on request, so is this requiring you keep your logbook with you if you're going to not hold the medical card?

will moffitt

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »
I guess I will be the first.  It will cost me the same as my AME and I won't get to talk fishing.  We flew his Bonanza up to near Yakitat fly fishing for sockeye.  Guess I had better get going on the computer. 

will

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 08:59:08 AM »
I'm hoping to do Basic Med the end of next month, but I'll be doing it with the same AME I've used the last two times around.
Interesting that the FAA regs require you to do an online course, but it is being supplied by a third party.
Seems half-assed to me.
Kinda like when an FAA inspector I knew referred me to EAA when I asked him about sport pilot / LSA (a year or so after those regs had taken effect).

Ghery

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
If it has to be kept in your logbook, it doesn't have to be with you when you fly.  My logbook goes with me only when I need a signature, like for a flight review or IPC.  Otherwise, it's at home.  No problem here.

Now to call my doctor and make an appointment in May.  My current 3rd class runs out the end of May.  This is an improvement for me, I only need a physical every 4 years, instead of every 2 years.  That, and I would need a new AME as mine got a job for the FAA and isn't in the business of doing flight physicals anymore.

Ghery
PP-ASEL IA
Center O Flying Club - OLM

will moffitt

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 07:03:18 PM »
Seems like too many hoops.  If I am going to pay the same amount I would just as soon do it the old way and not have to do the online course etc.   Do I have a choice?

will

Les

• Global Moderator
    • Les Flue . Com

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »
If it has to be kept in your logbook, it doesn't have to be with you when you fly.  My logbook goes with me only when I need a signature, like for a flight review or IPC.  Otherwise, it's at home.  No problem here.

Now to call my doctor and make an appointment in May.  My current 3rd class runs out the end of May.  This is an improvement for me, I only need a physical every 4 years, instead of every 2 years.  That, and I would need a new AME as mine got a job for the FAA and isn't in the business of doing flight physicals anymore.

Had a presentation on this by an FAAST rep tonight.

According to him you need to carry your drivers license and pilots license.  They may ask for a medical cert. If you don't have it, you will more than likely be given time to produce it and send it in.

FAQ's here:  https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

And, here:  https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/media/basicmed_faq.pdf

- Les
N113CM
KYKM
http://www.lesflue.com

JRo

• Little wheel goes in back. (or used to)

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 07:35:33 AM »
Seems like too many hoops. 

It does seem more complicated, until you've had a health setback.  If you've had any of the disqualifying health issues and recovered, the FAA requirements are much more onerous and potentially expensive.  For example, getting an annual Exercise Stress Test may be an FAA requirement, but it's not medically necessary and not covered by health insurance.  BasicMed is going to save me ~$1000/year (stress test + doctors appt + annual AME).

I'm stoked about these changes.
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

Domenick

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »
I'm hoping to do Basic Med the end of next month, but I'll be doing it with the same AME I've used the last two times around.

AMEs are not required by the FAA to provide BasicMed services. Who is your AME?

It may be useful to create a PNWFF list of PCPs and AMEs providing BasicMed services. Even a sticky thread in which we can simply post: type(PCP,AME) name, address, city, state, phone. Then a simple search by city could turn up candidates.
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

hotrod180

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
AMEs are not required by the FAA to provide BasicMed services. Who is your AME?
It may be useful to create a PNWFF list of PCPs and AMEs providing BasicMed services. Even a sticky thread in which we can simply post: type(PCP,AME) name, address, city, state, phone. Then a simple search by city could turn up candidates. 

I have been emailing with him, it's not for sure yet.
He will be further reviewing the Basic Med paperwork & will decide if he wants to do Basic Med or not before my appointment.

I agree that a list of doc's willing to do Basic Med.
They will have to sign on the dotted line not only that they've examined you, but also (don't recall the exact wording) that they don't think there's any reason why you shouldn't fly.
Maybe that's no big deal, maybe it is.

hotrod180

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »
Seems like too many hoops.  If I am going to pay the same amount I would just as soon do it the old way and not have to do the online course etc.   Do I have a choice? 

You can continue to do 3rd class medicals, if you prefer.
Basic Med's primary drawback, to me, is that Canada (currently) doesn't accept it. So US flying only.
Plus the (temporary) teething pains as the brand new system sorts itself out.

The advantages of Basic Med are two-fold, as I see it:
First of all, you're good for 4 years, instead of 3 (under age 40) or 2 (over 40).
Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, if a minor glitch comes up during your exam, you simply do not pass.
You can then address your issue(s), and hopefully come back later when you are in condition to pass.
If a glitch surfaces during an exam for a medical certificate, it raises a red flag with the FAA,
which may cause further complications even after your problem is corrected.
I won't go into details, but this happened to a friend of mine last year & he's still dealing with the aftermath of his failed medical.

skywag

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »
I've never been asked for a medical by the Canadians.
Desert Aire Airport Manager (M94)

Klaus

• NOTAM : Altitude Creates a Sense of Euphoria
    • Klaus Website

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »
   All truck and cab drivers are required to get a similar medical exam. Most of the doctors that sign off commercial drivers will likely do the BasicMed physical. The DMV may have a list of M.D.'s that they send their drivers to.

Like any sign-off of a physical or aircraft Annual, it's the condition at the time of the exam/inspection. The person or operator by regulation is then required to keep the condition of themselves and aircraft in safe condition.

FAA FAR 91.3  Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
   (a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

FAA FAR 91.403 General.
   (a) The owner or operator of an aircraft is primarily responsible for maintaining that aircraft in an airworthy condition, including compliance with part 39 of this chapter.
Klaus Marx
Juneau, AK (PAJN) & East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT)
Pages: [1] 2