Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Boeing Tour  (Read 894 times)

BrianHA

Boeing Tour
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »

Happy Easter ladies and gents. I am up here in the far north in CYXX, (Abbotsford, BC), to those of us who don't venture this far north. I am tossing around the idea of flying in to the deep south to Paine Field one Saturday with my girlfriend and taking in a Boeing tour. Does anyone happen to know how one would efficiently go about accessing the tour having arrived by air?

I think I can sort out the Paine field arrival procedures and dealing with Whidby NAS and Seattle terminal, thanks to Foreflight and I have flown past Seattle Class B on numerous occasions. I figure it is easy to access the Boeing tour when one drives in by car. But I wasn't sure how this works if one flew in instead. How does air-side access etc work?

Any info and discussion on the subject will be much appreciated and most grateful for. many thanks.

BA.
...........errr...Come again tower.......what fell off of who's airplane?

will moffitt

Re: Boeing Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:15:21 AM »
Why mess with Whidbey.  I live and operate under their floor and never talk to them.   Should be very easy to fly east of their 10 mile circle.

Unless you want to impress a new sweetie with pilot chatter. ;)

will

piperfan

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »
Why mess with Whidbey.  I live and operate under their floor and never talk to them.   Should be very easy to fly east of their 10 mile circle.

Unless you want to impress a new sweetie with pilot chatter. ;)

will

As Canadians, it's always nice to be able to talk to Whidbey and get used to them. For the purposes of transborder crossing, they are a valuable resource in making the transition as smooth as possible. No, not necessary, but they sure make life simple.

One thing I've learned is, if you make some sort of flight plan filing mistake, ATC as back-up, both for assistance and proof of your transit times  positions, and intentions, will make life a lot easier if you have to explain to the authorities. Everything is recorded.

Should also apply to American pilots heading north. They can hand you off to Victoria and make everyone aware of your intentions. (no interceptions ;) )
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

will moffitt

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »
Very good point.

will

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
Why not call whatever phone number is available for the Boeing tours & ask them.
Regal Air is located centrally on Paine Field and there's a bunch of parking available adjacent.

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
Castle and Cooke FBO have provided me free transportation and parking in the past.

http://www.castlecookeaviation.com/
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

ErikU

• Utter Associates

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 11:47:28 PM »
I think that Castle and Cooke is probably the closest FBO, and I'll bet they would shuttle you over there.  There are also several great museums on the field. 

There aren't any special arrival or departure procedures for KPAE that I am aware of.  I fly there pretty regularly,... but.. maybe I'm clueless.

-Erik

BE-35 'S' Bonanza - Seattle - BFI

JRo

• Little wheel goes in back. (or used to)

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:05:04 AM »
It is definitely worth planning ahead for the tours, they fill up.  Check out this website for some details.

http://www.boeing.com/company/tours/

It looks promising at least.  You may be able to secure tickets ahead of time.

Cheers!
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

BrianHA

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »

Thanks Guys. Tomorrow is the day - weather permitting. eAPIS filed and ready. Just have to check the weather in the morning and head out. We'll be clearing customs in Bellingham, and then direct to KPAE. I am planning to stay at about 3,500 for the short flight to KPAE. So I am not planning on chatting with Seattle approach. We will be saying hello to the Whidby NAS folks and then we'll call and talk to the Paine tower for arrival.

I spoke to a fellow at Castle & Cooke, who said he'll give us a ride to the Boeing tour if availability of personnel permits. Just in case he is unable to shuttle us over, do any of you guys know an alternate method to get to the Boeing side for the 1:00pm tour? I suppose we can get outside and hail a cab as an alternative.

BA.

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 03:30:49 PM »
It's a 50 minute walk from Castle and Cooke.  The Hilton Garden Inn is right next to the Boeing Future of Flight, maybe they would pick you up.
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

JRo

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 07:39:52 PM »
Taking a cab, or Lyft or Uber would be your best bets.  I imagine that Castle & Cooke could call a cab for you.  You might want to install the Uber or Lyft app ahead of time.
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

JRo

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
By the way, did you know there is another aviation museum on the airport?

http://www.flyingheritage.com/default.aspx

Depending on how long you wanted to spend at Paine Field, you could potentially impress your girlfriend with your extensive aviation knowledge (even if you just read it on the placard next to the display).

Hope you have a good time.
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »
There's several attractions on Paine Field:
Boeing factory tour
Boeing museum of flight restoration shop
Paul Allen's collection (Flying Heritage Collection)
John Sessions' museum (Historic Flight aka Kilo 7)
private M-262 restoration (used to be anyways)

Plus nearby:
 Bill Anders' Heritage Flight Museum at Skagit airport KBVS,
 Port Townsend Aero Museum at Jefferson County 0S9,
 and North Cascades Vintage collection at Concrete 3W5.

BrianHA

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 05:46:00 AM »

Lovely flight. Bellingham customs couldn`t have been nicer. Stayed low (2500) over the Puget Sound area and Whidby approach was also pleasant. We didn`t have to talk to Seattle approach. KPAE tower and ground were friendly and recognizing that I was unfamiliar with the field, was very helpful.

The linemen at Castle & Cooke were also exceptionally nice and brought a van right up to the plane as we arrived, and gave us a ride to the Boeing tour, and then when the tour was done, they returned to pick us up. You Washingtonians are nice people! We were duly impressed with Boeing needless to say. Getting to see a 747 in the build was pretty spectacular!

We didn`t have time to do much else, before the flight back to CYXX. But we will return for the other attractions at KPAE. Thanks for everyone's helpful hints and suggestions.

BA.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:43:41 PM by BrianHA »