Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Titan Tornado down at Spanway  (Read 903 times)

tonyrob

• Global Moderator
    • The World According To Tony

Titan Tornado down at Spanway
« on: April 13, 2017, 07:19:45 PM »
From various sources -

Titan Tornado down at Spanway
The Ballistic recovery system activated shortly after takeoff. Pilot has serious injuries.

Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly.
(Walmart warning label 1995)

will moffitt

Re: Titan Tornado down at Spanway
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:38:10 PM »
half a dozen broken bones, femur, both tibia, bad ankle, clavicle.  But friends tell me he is in harbor view and in good spirits.  I would think it is the same fellow, son in law of a Church friend.

Will

will moffitt

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »
Add a broken wrist and a possible broken jaw.

tonyrob

• Global Moderator
    • The World According To Tony

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »
Early reports suggested that the parachute was the problem. This report suggests that the engine failed and that the chute was deployed but the aircraft was too low for the chute to be effective.  It looks like even with the extensive injuries he was lucky to survive this. FAA are investigating so it will be interesting to learn what they find as to why the engine failed shortly after take-off.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article144399044.html

Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly.
(Walmart warning label 1995)

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
I find that very hard to believe.  Chute deployments take a mere second or two, and once open, you are as slow as you'll get, it's instantaneous.  If anything, I would wonder if the way the chute attachment was an issue, leaving the aircraft in a nose down attitude under the canopy.  That would cause the damage and injuries sustained.  Best to be in a nose high attitude and let the rear of the aircraft absorb the impact and the seat support your body through the event.
John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »
......The Ballistic recovery system activated shortly after takeoff.

Could the parachute have been deployed accidently, or uncommanded?
That'd sure put a hitch in your getalong.

will moffitt

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 09:02:10 PM »
How much of a drop do you need to fill the chute?  Does your forward motion do that?

will

bryan_flying

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
I don't know about a Titan, and I've not trained/flown a plane that a chute.

BUT - the DPE I did my checkride with pointed out that Cirrus lists a min altitude, and an aggravating part of checkrides was people who could quote that number, and then asked what they'd do with engine failure at a lower height said "pull the chute"

One imagines the Titan has a different chute than a cirrus, with different limits, but engine failure on takeoff certainly sounds like the sort of circumstance where pulling the chute might NOT be the best thing to do.

Having a chute deploy itself when not wanted will virtually never be a good thing....

flynfrfun

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »
I was at Spanaway a few weeks ago and saw the Titan first hand.  The chute bridle was wrapped around the prop.  That would explain the nose down attitude after deployment.  I spoke to an ultralight pilot that witnessed the crash and he said the chute had just barely had time to open before hitting the ground.  Being low and on climb out would not allow time to kill the engine before deploying the chute.  I hope he makes a full recovery.

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »
The pilot is a friend of mine and he was released from the hospital a week ago and is recovering.

Daryl
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

flynfrfun

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 09:07:06 AM »
Great to hear!  Thanks Daryl.