Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: What's the longest you've gone without flying?  (Read 809 times)

Dan_Root

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

What's the longest you've gone without flying?
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:46:23 PM »
Only being a pilot of 3 years, I tend to keep myself in the air almost weekly.  I always feel current.

This winter weather (along with projects, life etc.) has kept me grounded more days than I thought.  Finally got to pull the bird out of the hangar yesterday and looking at the log book, 27 days since my last flight = YUCK!

Good ending to the story was a great flight, went through a bunch of soft field, short field, normal ops etc.  I felt like I just flew the day before.  All my muscles took over and I still have the biggest smile on my face.

It got me thinking though; how long away from PIC would it take for me to want to get a CFI back in the right seat?  My personal limit is 60 days set right after my check-ride.  Maybe I'm underestimating myself?  I guess if I got in the airplane and things just didn't feel right, I hope I'm the person who'd shut things down and grab a CFI.

Anyone have any experience in time away and getting back into PIC?
L8A - Slightly modified

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

Re: What's the longest you've gone without flying?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:27:03 PM »
The longest as an active pilot was about 18 months when I was doing a real stressful job.  I'd go to the hangar and just be too physically worn out to fly, swore to myself to never be in that position again.

However, since I mainly fly aerobatics in the summer, I don't think anything of not flying much from October to May.  For me it's the quality of flights (getting a decent acro practice session) vs. quantity of flights.  I have no problem hopping in the Pitts or Eagle after six months of not flying them.  Now that I live on an air park, I fly much more often than before though.
John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

geekxx

• N252MK
    • J. Heinen CFI

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 03:57:18 PM »
Four years for me. '99 - '03. I quit flying not long after getting my PPSEL due to work and family leaving me little time or money to fly. Since '03 I got my commercial, multi, CFI, CFII, and MEI certificates, and now I'm usually flying every week, mostly with students.

-Jeff
CFI/CFII/MEI
http://www.jheinencfi.com
N252MK

will moffitt

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:19:27 PM »
Seven years and I won't give anyone the details but I see it as no big deal.  I have went 27 days this winter.  I worry more about the cam shaft than I do being current.  In a simple airplane I don't understand this current stuff.  Like riding a bicycle, easy.  But then if I had to remember all the switches, levers, gizmos and electronic f in magic stuff some of you guys have it would be a different story.  I am a low tec guy.

will

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
I fly a lot- usually at least once a week, if not more.
I've gone for over a week many times, due to weather.
I know that some people go for months without flying and apparently are still proficient,
but a couple times I've gone without just a few weeks when out of town for one reason or another, and felt rusty when I got back aboard.
I can't imagine feeling very proficient after months without flying- at least at first.
I've seen people, including some very low time pilots, who seem to only fly a few times a year, usually just in the summertime.
I don't see how those low-timers can even be safe, let alone proficient, since there's not a lot of experience under the rust-- just more rust.
Maybe I'm too critical, or maybe my idea of "proficient" is different than other folks.

will moffitt

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
I, like John have went to the airport tired and decided to just wipe off a wing and sit in a chair.  Too tired to feel sharp.

will

SunnySequim CessnaDriver

• N4692L 1966 Cessna 172G Sequim Valley W28.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 12:47:16 AM »
37 years.
"It's better to fly an old Cessna 150, than to sit at home reading about jets."

groupw

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:44:17 AM »
I try to fly at least weekly, but winter weather often interferes with that. In the 8 years I've been flying, the longest break was three months due to an injury. My first flight after that was an overdue flight review but I didn't have any trouble with it. One other time I had a two month gap while my plane was getting a new engine.

I've found that the more total hours I have (nearly all in one airplane), the more quickly I recover after a break. I had 850 hours at the time of the three month break, and 1500 when the gap was two months. I'll typically feel a little behind the plane for the first hour or two and few landings, but pretty much in the groove after that. I'd expect it could take considerably longer to regain proficiency with airplanes more complex and/or harder to fly than a 150.

Roy

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 03:08:48 PM »
Fortunately, I've flown in every calendar month since I started training - 171 months, an average of 23.43 hours a month.  Highest month: 91.6, Lowest month: 0.8

I find that in a tailwheel airplane, two-three weeks off and I have to work at it. 

In a glider or floatplane, I can go months and everything still seems to click.

I only get up in a balloon once a year now - instructor on board and much needed!

Daryl
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

140 Flyer 75

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 10:11:58 AM »
  I went from about 1977 to 2009 without flying, 32 years.  Kids finally grew up and left the house, so I had some extra time and money, so I finally went out and purchased a Piper Cherokee, and have been making up for lost time now.
All it took was for my brother to invite me to go up with him once, and I was immediately asking myself, "why didn't I do this earlier?"
  Living within the Enumclaw practice area was a factor too, as it's hard to mow the lawn on a nice day having to stop and look up at every airplane that is in the area.
  Found an instructor and within 3 hours was back in the air with a new BFR. 
  I won't let it go again!

Rich K
Crest Airpark

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:44:13 AM by 140 Flyer 75 »

OnYourSix

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 12:00:43 AM »
6 months.  The Navy wasn't flying me, so I found a local renter through social media, and was able to rent his plane.  I need to do that again soon.  I have been current lately, but I want to work on my MEI.  Hopefully that happens soon!
Based at OKH
Aircraft Flown: PA-28-180C (grandfathers), PA-28R-200, PA-28-140, PA-38-112, KA-20-100, C140, C150, C172, T-41B, 7AC, BE-95, T-34C, BE9L, L-188
Building: N316VH Pietenpol Air Camper (shelved)