Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: ADS-B  (Read 753 times)

Charliefj40

ADS-B
« on: March 02, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »
  Called an avionics shop on the other side of the Tacoma narrows bridge. They were unable to help me on the phone with some basic I thought questions about options and cost. This subject has been around long enough you would think information on it should be readily available.They referred me to email a contact person.
I sent my info along with a pic of my panel and waited for a response a day later. I got a one liner question.
I sent a one word response. I guess I'll be waiting another day for the next response.My issue when you call a business and they can't help on the phone because they don't have competent knowledgeable help.
How long should you wait to get a response and how much time should you put into dealing with such a business? Makes you wonder if you want do any business there? Seems a lot of businesses operate with this
model these days. Just my two cents!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:42:01 PM by Charliefj40 »

Dan_Root

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

Re: ADS-B
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:52:41 AM »
I’m not certain there will be one answer to your question “How long should you wait…” as each interaction with each person’s perspective and personality can be so varied.

I guess if I have any words to offer they would be:

Be patient, don’t get short or curt with others, even if they are to you.  If you are not finding what you’re looking for out of a particular business or person, simply move on.  This is even more true if no money has changed hands.  No harm, no foul yet.  It could be the shop or folks you have spoken to are more than busy and don’t have time to field questions verses turn a wrench to make a living.

Pilots are such a small community (and getting smaller each year).  The people who can work on our airplanes are even smaller.

Cut them some slack.

Doesn’t mean there aren’t turds out there, but don’t let them get to you.
L8A - Slightly modified

Avionics

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »
Well........ We can't please everybody. The one guy I have that CAN talk on the phone, is slammed just like the rest of us here. LIke me, he is trying to meet a schedule, and make customers happy. Sometimes if one calls on a busy day....... results will be less than stellar. There are times when we have reached our "daily limits" on phone calls, and we stop answering the phone altogether.

Speaking for myself, I have a severe hearing disability and can't talk on the phone. I too, have limits on how much time I can spend on emails. I have to work as well.

We are very good at what we do. How good? How about being booked for over 4 months? Anybody else claim that yet? It is simply going to get worse for the next 2 or 3 years.

I publicly apologise, for our seemingly lacking response. But you know what? Your phone call was reported almost immediately to me, and discussed at length. Your initial email to me was......... interesting.

We live and die by word of mouth advertising. Many customers have got us figured out. Based on our reputation, if they can't get what they want on the phone, they come down to our place and see what our problem is. When customers make the time and trouble to come to our hangar........ They get 100% of my attention.

Again I publically apologise for our first impression that we made for you.
I own Avionics Shop, Inc., at KTIW.... call me Crazy Dan!

Ericpeyton1980

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 10:38:28 PM »
Spencer Aircraft at Thun Field installed my ADSB. Did a great job and Gary is fast to respond. Only issue I had with them was poor time management. I was told that the plane would be in on a certain date and it didn't get in till several days later. Wasn't a big deal to me though because they did a good job with the install and beat all other quotes. I am now in their books to get a new PMA 6000B audio panel installed.

Whoever you go with, good luck and happy flying!
1964 Cessna 172E

skywag

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:07:27 AM »
Wait until 2021, the prices will be WAY down. Just don't fly where it is required.

First generation ADSB equipment is already showing up on eBay, where some are installing 2nd generation.  New cheaper and better stuff is showing every day.

Until then, the "big sky little airplane" will have to do it for me.
Desert Aire Airport Manager (M94)

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »
I can avoid the Seattle mode c veil and B/C airspace if need be as a short term solution,
but for those based within the 30NM mode C veil of Seattle or similar, or at a Class C airport, waiting won't be much of an option.

FWIW here's a video clip of an intriguing  ADS-B solution just introduced at Sun-n-Fun. Levil Aviation's Beacon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWOdynW0k2U

groupw

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »
I stopped at the Hillsboro Aviation booth at the convention in Puyallup and got a very attractive quotation. I was also very impressed with Christopher, the avionics manager who was there. So I pulled the trigger. Mine is scheduled for installation in early June -- the booking dates are moving out pretty rapidly.

Roy