Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: When do YOU descend from pattern altitude?  (Read 2551 times)

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

Re: When do YOU descend from pattern altitude?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 09:38:52 AM »
Kinda depends on how you fly.
I fly a tight pattern, so starting my descent no later than downwind abeam works well.
Some of the 737-sized patterns I see others flying,
starting descent when turning (two mile) final would be more appropriate

Dan_Root

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »
I agree with what some have already said, it depends.  Most of the time, abeam the numbers, round base about 800AGL etc.
L8A - Slightly modified

JRo

• Little wheel goes in back.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »
Personally, I start my descent when I start my base turn.  I start my turn based on TLAR.  On downwind I'm usually at 105 KIAS, put the gear down abeam the numbers, once the gear is down I select full flaps, look over my shoulder and if it looks about right I start the turn and descent.

Somebody help a newbie out... TLAR?
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

will moffitt

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »
Time Left Above Road?

Wombat

• Clay Chase Flight

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 08:56:10 PM »
That Looks About Right
Commercial ASEL ASES
Private AMEL
CFI Single Engine
AGI

Currently own and fly:
Cessna 182 N5084D from Boeing Field

Currently Building:
Velocity XL-RG

hotrod180

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 09:17:30 AM »
Turn Left Above Ralph's?

Cabbage

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
Wombat got it right.

Ddayle

• I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth.

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
Straight in, with  a C-150 at 1000 AGL, when the PAPI  starts to twinkle chop the power,  slow to 80, dump all the flaps, and descend.  it will hit the numbers.
Flying Juliette.  a borrowed 150

Stinson Pilot

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 05:53:49 AM »
Stinson: Standard pattern, abeam pull power, slow to 65, start dropping flaps. Pretty much the standard rectangular pattern.

Skybolt: Abeam pull power slowing to 85, full right rudder, left 60° bank and take the express elevator to the numbers! As Will said, bipes come down fast...
Flying is the Answer....What was the question?

Doug
Steen Skybolt
Stinson 108-2

will moffitt

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
Hey Doug, post your vid of your recent landing.

will

Stinson Pilot

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:19:40 PM by Stinson Pilot »
Flying is the Answer....What was the question?

Doug
Steen Skybolt
Stinson 108-2

JMPilot

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
We all should have a basic set procedure that we use when using the pattern for landing. However having said that, we should also be on alert to deviate from that basic procedure when required. Expect the unexpected. One thing that I don't adhere to anymore that was taught in basic PPL training is the squared off pattern. Yes, I still practice the "pattern", I just don't see the need to try and square off my turns. As usual in the downwind leg l I pull power when nearing the approach end of runway but instead of continuing straight downwind and then making a definite turn to base followed by a definite turn from base to final, I simply begin a much shallower wide turn off the downwind that continues around until I am on final. I will still call my base and base to final, but I am always in a shallow turn towards my final approach. I find this method to be a much safer and easier use of the pattern (for me). The way we were taught in PPL training makes it too easy to overshoot the base to final turn and can tempt the pilot into an over aggressive and over correct the turn from base to final at low speed with a not so good outcome. Also with my high wing airplane, when I simply remain in a constant shallow turn from downwind to final, my outside wing is always up allowing me good vision downwind to spot that guy on the wrong frequency who is coming straight in on a long final. Yea, that one. In short, the way I practice it, prevents me from making steep banks as low speed, allows me instead to make minor bank adjustments to be lined up on final without overshooting, and allows me to see who might be out there on a long final that I don't know about. The one big shallow turn (instead of two steeper turns) can be used even if there is someone in front of you. The reduction in power may simply be delayed as called for. If this method is good enough for the Navy, it's good enough for me. I truly don't know why we are taught to make a base turn and then another turn to final. That method probably has cost lives.

JRo

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Interestingly the FAA is currently toying with this recommendation.  I read something last year that they were reconsidering that guidance.
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

hotrod180

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »
Straight in, with  a C-150 at 1000 AGL, when the PAPI  starts to twinkle chop the power,  slow to 80, dump all the flaps, and descend.  it will hit the numbers. 

Personally, I dislike straight-ins and generally only do them when directed to do so at a towered airport.
Flying some sort of a pattern makes it so much easier to check out the runway environment as well as the traffic pattern.
PLus flying a straight-in can disrupt the traffic pattern.

Couple days ago, a Mooney(?)  called a long straight-in for 27 @ Jefferson County,  in spite of that approach conflicting with two airplanes in the pattern to land. Not even the courtesy of a "traffic permitting"-- even though those are often just lip service.
First guy in the pattern went way long on his downwind, second guy (me) did a big LH orbit over the field and reentered downwind at midfield.
The Mooney proceeded to do a touch-and-go, then I think a couple more.
I commented on the radio "ya blew up the pattern for a touch and go---- nice".

That straight-in was perfectly acceptable as far as the regs go, but IMHO was extremely discourteous.
A lot of people confuse a lack of courtesy with violating the regs --
I suggest that everyone review FAR 91.113 right-of-way rules.

Back to straight-ins...I have nothing against people doing them if they're done in a courteous fashion.
If there is other traffic, I suggest that some sort of upwind-to-crosswind entry be considered.
It only adds a minute of two, and it's pretty easy when doing that to fit yourself into an appropriate opening on downwind.

JRo

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »
Back to straight-ins...I have nothing against people doing them if they're done in a courteous fashion.
If there is other traffic, I suggest that some sort of upwind-to-crosswind entry be considered.
It only adds a minute of two, and it's pretty easy when doing that to fit yourself into an appropriate opening on downwind.

Interesting... I have been trying to figure out how to enter the pattern at Auburn from the south.   Doing the 45 - Left Downwind @ 34 bumps you pretty close to the class B surface area @ Sea-Tac.  When flying from Pierce Co today, I flew a straight in, but I was trying to figure out a better option.

Is an upwind - crosswind less disruptive to existing traffic?
Home - 63MT
Current - S50
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4