Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: This message board is exceedingly polite. Thanks Dave!  (Read 899 times)

Wombat

• Clay Chase Flight

This message board is exceedingly polite. Thanks Dave!
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:42:27 AM »
I was just reading how on wikipedia there are a few people that make a disproportionately large number of toxic comments and attacks. (34 users out of 9000 make up 9% of the attacks)

While some people on here might disagree with your stance on political discussion and more spirited or aggressive debate, I appreciate that you have kept this forum polite and on the topic of aviation!

The article is here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/wikipedia-comments-destroyed-by-a-few-highly-toxic-users/
The paper that generated the article is here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1610.08914.pdf
Commercial ASEL ASES
Private AMEL
CFI Single Engine
AGI

Currently own and fly:
Cessna 182 N5084D from Boeing Field

Currently Building:
Velocity XL-RG

Al Gilson

• Global Moderator
  • "Go Eagles!" (I'm on the left)
    • Hangar 49

Re: This message board is exceedingly polite. Thanks Dave!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 06:10:10 PM »
Yes, special thanks to our founder, David Herman.  For you history buffs, this forum was David's answer to the chaos of the old Usenet NewsGroups.  David, Tony Roberts, and I met on the old "rec.aviation.piloting" group back in the late 1990's/early 2000's.  Usenet was a total free-for-all (kind of like Facebook is today) where flame wars were ignited in a nanosecond and the name-calling used every word in the book. It was David's vision to have a fully-moderated forum for pilots in the Pacific Northwest. David built and hosts this forum on his servers (that's why it doesn't allow direct photo uploads-server space costs $$$), and built the graphic front end that you see.  There's no advertising, dues, or anyone asking you for money here.  It's just a fellow pilot opening up the doors for some friendly conversation.

In the early years, David was kind of like Johnny Appleseed.  He flew to every public airport in the state and pinned an envelope full of PNWF cards on every bulletin board he could find.  (I still see them now and then.)

David is a busy guy and his job is like many of us, it really cuts into his day.  To help out, Tony, Les Flue, and I share the moderator duties.  We research and approve every new member and keep an eye on the comments to ensure the party doesn't get out of hand.

So, please enjoy the forum.  Oh sure, it's not as busy as Facebook, but nobody here is monitoring your posts and mining your personal data to put ads over on the side of the page or robots posting sales pitches.

Enjoy.  :)

Al (Nope...I'm not a paid spokes-pilot) Gilson
Al (insert witty statement here) Gilson
Cuurently planeless
KSFF Spokane, WA
www.hangar49.info

will moffitt

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

will

Domenick

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 10:12:05 AM »
Missed this thread until today. I've been here 11 years, and over that time David has spanked me a few times for this-and-that, though it is a matter of pride that I've never been given a time-out. It has been quite awhile since my last spanking, so perhaps an old dog can be taught new tricks. 

I too would like to salute David, our founder, and thank the other moderators, Tony, Les, and Al, for their time and efforts making the last 11 years of my participation here a pleasure. Over the years I have evangelized PNWFF on other flying forums, posting my template suggestion to other PNW pilots to check it out.

I credit this forum with the almost total lack of participation in the AOPA Northwest Regional subforum. Good job to all.
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

piperfan

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
Its the ORIGINAL before other Pacific Northwest groups.  The one that started it all, I think.
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

Les

• Global Moderator
    • Les Flue . Com

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »
Thanks, all.  Lately, this board has exemplified the "gentlemen, pilot".  As one of the moderators, I find the task fairly easy. 

Keep up the good work, all.
- Les
N113CM
KYKM
http://www.lesflue.com

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 07:50:14 AM »
  I was just reading how on wikipedia there are a few people that make a disproportionately large number of toxic comments and attacks. (34 users out of 9000 make up 9% of the attacks).....

I just read somewhere that 90% of all statistics are made up on the spur of the moment.