Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ADS-B verification flights  (Read 2424 times)

Flyhound

Re: ADS-B verification flights
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 06:38:34 AM »
I too had Pacific Coast Avionics (PCA) install my ADS-B Out unit.  I chose the Garmin GTX 335 since I already had ADS-B-In with a Dual XGPS-170 receiver on my glare shield.  I had PCA use the WAAS GPS source from my GNS-430 for position information which further lowered the cost of the install. I went this route because I wanted a solution that did not add any weight to my plane.  Putting in a UAT solution would have added an extra box and an extra antenna.  PCA did a great job of squeezing me into their schedule and got the job done without any muss or fuss.  They even arranged good weather for my flight down from Seattle and my flight back after the installation was complete a week later.  It took a week because I didn't have a guaranteed slot in their schedule, they modified my panel in between other work since it was a relatively easy installation.

When I flew out of PCA back to the Seattle area, I had a planned stop at WN13 (Vaughan's Ranch) to have new tires installed on the mail wheels of my Maule.  Since I was in a hurry to get there, I did not even try to do the 30 minutes of maneuvering in ADS-B airspace.  When I got home, I checked the FAA's GAIRS report out of curiosity.  Surprisingly, the report indicated that all of the ADS-B out performance requirements were met, but it was red flagged with the message: "The Performance Monitor could NOT validate that the flight operation consisted of at least 30minutes in the airspace defined in 14 CFR 91.225". What surprised me was that the FAA indicated I did not have to redo the validation flight since they would review the results and see if all was well based on existing data.  A day later the review panel approved my flight and I was given the code for my rebate.

When I tried to process the rebate using the code provided I was blocked again.  The rebate is only available for aircraft built before 2015.  My rebate rejection was based on the FAA database being blank on the year my aircraft was manufactured (2002).  I called the FAA registration office and asked what I needed to do.  The efficient techie on the other end of the phone said that should have that data and asked me to hold.  Sure enough, he got back to me in less than a minute and indicated he had updated their registration information for my plane.  He asked me to wait a day before resubmitting my rebate application so their database would have a chance to update.  The next day I tried again and was successful.  I had my check in less than a week. 

Overall the whole experience was smooth and uncomplicated for me.  The regulator seemed to be working hard to help me succeed and I nothing but praise for the folks I interacted with.  The same can be said for PCA.  I did have some problems getting traffic to appear on my tablet. That took several days to sort out.  It was a combination of a problem with the old antenna on my ADS-B-In receiver and a software setting on my EFB app that was several menu levels down in the weeks.  Again, I had good experienced with DUAL, PCA and DroidEFB as I went through that trouble shooting process.  I sure am happy with what I have now! 
Defy Gravity!

dkshply

Re: ADS-B verification flights
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
Mine was very easy.  I just went under SEATAC's CL B over Vashon and did steep turns for a half hour and left.  Got the rebate shortly after. 
Pages: 1 [2]