Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multi Weight Oil for C150  (Read 1347 times)

Old School

Re: Multi Weight Oil for C150
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 09:44:47 PM »
True, the C-170B has a B&C lightweight starter, though. Being newer technology it may not be as susceptible to problems?
1929 Fleet 1
1945 J-3C65
1953 C-170B
SK-64 Skycrane

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 08:48:28 AM »
I couldn't find anything "official" (from Niagra or other mfr's / servicers) but I did find numerous references on various online discussion forums to Aeroshell 15-50 causing starter adapters on the big Continentals to slip also. In between that, & the price difference, I definitely would stick with Phillips 20-50 if you want a multigrade.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:31:39 PM by hotrod180 »

Cabbage

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 09:27:12 AM »
Ours is an IO360 but...

We used to use Aeroshell w100 in the summer and w80 in the winter.  We now use Phillips XC 20w-50 year round.  We have always added Camguard regardless of the oil.  Our plan has been to change oil every 50 hours or 4 months whichever comes first.  However, since we consume a quart every 5 hours, we end up changing it about every 35 hours or so (we buy a case at oil change and when its gone we change oil).

Here is a link for a webinar done by Mike Busch about oil:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibX8xJYxsSA&list=PLYRORvQ4_I4YBu8BxvEA6XdJRJ_kGA0Ld&index=53

Bob

Tom-D.

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 03:04:02 PM »
True, the C-170B has a B&C lightweight starter, though. Being newer technology it may not be as susceptible to problems?
That starter is not a friction clutch, it mates two gears to crank the engine. it is a bendix assembly as noted by the large selenoid at the top with the battery cable going to it,

hotrod180

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 08:37:13 PM »
We're talking about three different additives which do a couple different things.
From what I understand, Camguard is formulated to prevent rust & corrosion.
Lycoming additive LW 16702 is formulated to improve lubrication.
I believe the TCP in Aeroshell 15-50 is also for lubrication.

Tom-D.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »
that's not what the makers say

hotrod180

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
From the Camguard website:
"CamGuard is a comprehensive additive supplement formulated to address the complex and interrelated problems of corrosion, wear, deposits and seal degradation in piston engines. CamGuard contains 11 high performance additives and is 100% active. It dramatically improves performance of and is compatible with all aviation oils including mineral based, and semi-synthetic types. In addition to aircraft engines, CamGuard is extremely beneficial for corrosion control when added to the crankcase of any infrequently used engine. ..."

From the Aeroshell W100+ website:
"Improved anti-wear characteristics particularly at engine start-up and eliminates the need for supplemental additives required by certain Lycoming engines. AeroShell Oil W100 Plus and W80 Plus already contain the Lycoming additive LW 16702 in the correct proportions and meets Lycoming requirements as well as the US Federal Aviation Authority Airworthiness directive 80-04-03."

From the Aeroshell 15W50 website:
"The advanced additive package in AeroShell W 15 W 50 provides excellent protection to engines operating at extreme ambient temperatures. The ashless anti-wear additive package provides exceptional wear protection for camshafts and lifters and other wearing surfaces. AeroShell W 15 W 50 has become very popular amongst engine manufacturers and operators alike. In order to cater for those Lycoming engines that need improved load carrying, the Lycoming LW 16702 antiwear additive has been incorporated into the formulation thus eliminating the need for supplemental additive addition."

Tom-D.

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »
From the Camguard website:
"CamGuard is a comprehensive additive supplement formulated to address the complex and interrelated problems of corrosion, wear, deposits and seal degradation in piston engines. CamGuard contains 11 high performance additives and is 100% active. It dramatically improves performance of and is compatible with all aviation oils including mineral based, and semi-synthetic types. In addition to aircraft engines, CamGuard is extremely beneficial for corrosion control when added to the crankcase of any infrequently used engine. ..."

From the Aeroshell W100+ website:
"Improved anti-wear characteristics particularly at engine start-up and eliminates the need for supplemental additives required by certain Lycoming engines. AeroShell Oil W100 Plus and W80 Plus already contain the Lycoming additive LW 16702 in the correct proportions and meets Lycoming requirements as well as the US Federal Aviation Authority Airworthiness directive 80-04-03."

From the Aeroshell 15W50 website:
"The advanced additive package in AeroShell W 15 W 50 provides excellent protection to engines operating at extreme ambient temperatures. The ashless anti-wear additive package provides exceptional wear protection for camshafts and lifters and other wearing surfaces. AeroShell W 15 W 50 has become very popular amongst engine manufacturers and operators alike. In order to cater for those Lycoming engines that need improved load carrying, the Lycoming LW 16702 antiwear additive has been incorporated into the formulation thus eliminating the need for supplemental additive addition."
From Lycoming..
 https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/The%20Use%20of%20Lycoming%20LW-16702%20Oil%20Additive.pdf
 the engines listed here are the only ones requiring this additive. There are other Service information letter that describe what that additive does,, but in a nut shell it simply gives the oil an ability to cling to the part longer so oil is present at start up.

N1032M

• Cessna 150K "Little Mike"

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
Just for closure, I'm switching to Phillips XC 20W50 + Camguard at next change.

Thanks to all,
Bryan
Bryan
Roche Harbor

Tom-D.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 10:48:11 PM »

Thanks to all,
Bryan
Best to enjoy more spend less, drop the cam guard, add fuel, and fly more.

Cabbage

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »

Thanks to all,
Bryan

That's exactly what we use in our Mooney.  We feel Camguard is worth the extra money because our plane frequently sits for one or two weeks between flights.

JRo

• Little wheel goes in back.

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
We feel Camguard is worth the extra money because our plane frequently sits for one or two weeks between flights.

I'm sure there are couple of folks on this forum who'd help you with that problem.   ;)
Now if those folks down at OKC would hurry up with reviewing my medical ...
Home - 63MT
Current - S50

Cabbage

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 07:32:51 AM »
We feel Camguard is worth the extra money because our plane frequently sits for one or two weeks between flights.

I'm sure there are couple of folks on this forum who'd help you with that problem.   ;)
Now if those folks down at OKC would hurry up with reviewing my medical ...

How kind of you to offer.  Purely altruistic I'm sure.

JRo

• Little wheel goes in back.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 03:22:36 PM »
How kind of you to offer.  Purely altruistic I'm sure.

Not me, I purely selfish in this regard.  I am sure, though, that there are some kind pilots on boards that would donate their time to keep the oil warm.
Home - 63MT
Current - S50
Pages: 1 [2]