Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Arlington Fly In 2017  (Read 2909 times)

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

Arlington Fly In 2017
« on: December 14, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »
Hey folks, there is a date shift for the Arlington Fly In in 2017.  The Board has voted to change to a Friday, Saturday and Sunday show.  So mark your calendars for July 7th, 8th and 9th.

Ticket pre-sales will open on January 1st at:  www.arlingtonflyin.org

There will be an air show Friday evening and Saturday afternoon.  Sunday activities are still being developed, but there will not be an air show, so no reason to rush out early.
John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

Re: Arlington Fly In 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:41:41 AM »
IMHO a good move, better idea than a thursday/friday/saturday show like last year.

will moffitt

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:29:49 AM »
I got rained out of the few gigs I really wanted to attend last year, Arlington being one of them.  You guys do a great job and I think all of us really appreciate your efforts.  In my opinion I think you should move the date to about 1 August.  The Anacortes Arts and Crafts show is about the first weekend in August.  They choose this date decades ago because statistically it is the driest day of the year.  Given my choice of which I would attend, no contest.

will

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 09:00:46 AM »
I wouldn't expect AFI to move any later into the summer.  Any closer to Oshkosh and it makes the already difficult task of getting vendors out to the West coast even harder.   Also, that first weekend in August is Seafair.
John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

piperfan

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 10:00:31 AM »
Thanks John for the update and as usual, the dedication in making the show happen...period!

Just a thought. I've always found September, to be a great month for flying in the PNW. Fall colors just breaking in, warm but not hot and days are still long.

I've often wondered why airshows ( majority of them) are not held in this month. Yes, there are a few, and I'm sure the Google experts will point those out. My theory is, if the weather is good, most people are back from summer holidays, kids are in school, most other SUMMER events are done with, why wouldn't it work for KAWO?

Specially the second weekend of September. Nice break from School and perhaps a nice, final finish to the summer season for some.

It's just a thought and perhaps Smutny can elaborate as to why or why not in this month.

Scroll to middle of link, and look at Historical Precip. September is almost the lowest. https://weatherspark.com/averages/29694/Arlington-Washington-United-States

PF
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:07:19 AM by piperfan »
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 03:03:44 PM »
Well, there are two things about September that make that month not a good air show month.

Labor Day and Reno Air Races.

Labor Day is usually a family weekend, last one before school starts, and events held around then usually have low attendance.  Then there's Reno, that is the 800lb gorilla that will suck up resources and spectators.  Historically, those who will spend their disposable cash on Reno will not attend other events during that month.

A little Arlington Fly In history:

Back in the 1960's a group of pilots would meet at Arlington to fly to the Abbotsford Air Show as a gaggle.  When Transport Canada declared that homebuilts were no longer allowed in Canadian airspace, they continued meeting up at Arlington for a spaghetti feed during the Abby weekend.  Eventually, TC changed their tune and the gaggle returned to Abby, but still wanted to have their spaghetti fly in at AWO.  So they chose a simple formula to remember when to meet, the first weekend after the 4th of July, and that's been our date choice ever since.

In the 16 years I've been in air show ops, we've never cancelled an air show performance.  May have shortened one, or pushed one to the end of the TFR time, but never cancelled.  So it's not weather that's really the issue.  I really hope that you all stay on Sunday till the afternoon and take part or watch the activities being planned.  More to come on those things in the coming months.

John Smutny

hotrod180

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 07:32:47 PM »
Wx may not have ever caused the airshow to be cancelled,
but I can just about guarantee that over the years it's been the reason people have not attended.
Too wet to comfortably camp, or too gloomy to get over the mountains.
I remember a few crashes of people going to or coming home from the Arlington fly-in that were sure weather-related.
I also remember hearing about one vendor who was returning from a demo flight with a potential customer,
scud-running right into zero/zero conditions resulting in a crash just a few miles from the airport.

Some might say August is a better month, but I remember several different years trying to get to the NWAAC Evergreen Fly-in in Vancouver,
the third weekend (or so) in August, and the wx just wouldn't cooperate. In fact, there was a fatal wx-related crash the second year the NWAAC  fly-in was held at Scappoose (2004?), when an airplane coming home to the Puget Sound area crashed into terrain east of I-5 between Kelso & Olympia.

I second sticking with the current weekend for the AFI, it's usually OK plus that's when everyone's used to going & they plan around it.

piperfan

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »
Thanks John for clarifying. It makes sense and seems you guys have covered all the tracks. Leaves you with little wiggle room on what month to choose. The July dates are way better than June anyway.

I was just inquiring, not suggesting.
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

Al Gilson

• Global Moderator
  • "Go Eagles!" (I'm on the left)
    • Hangar 49

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 05:03:28 PM »
I always enjoy Arlington.  For the most part, my highlight just re-visiting the many aviation friends that I don't get to see very often.  Sadly, I have to miss 2017 due to some domestic obligations. :(

Al (You'll just have to pick on Tony) Gilson
Al (insert witty statement here) Gilson
Cuurently planeless
KSFF Spokane, WA
www.hangar49.info

piperfan

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 01:36:52 PM »
I always enjoy Arlington.  For the most part, my highlight just re-visiting the many aviation friends that I don't get to see very often.  Sadly, I have to miss 2017 due to some domestic obligations. :(

Al (You'll just have to pick on Tony) Gilson

Sorry to hear AL. Won't be the same without you. :(

PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

Klaus

• NOTAM : Altitude Creates a Sense of Euphoria
    • Klaus Website

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 10:45:49 AM »
Tony, are you the PNF Headquarters this year?
Klaus Marx
Juneau, AK (PAJN) & East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT)

JugheadF15

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 06:31:01 AM »
John,  Can you link up the Flyer for this years AFI and also share some details of the new events and the Sunday concept?  I'm excited and looking forward to it. 

Jughead

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
Not aware of a flyer, do you have a link?

Sunday is being spearheaded by FATPNW.  For those anti-Facebookers, it's an extremely popular aviation group called Flights Above The Pacific Northwest.  The day will include:

- Flying Scavenger Hunt
- Young Eagle Rides
- Spot Landing Contest
- BBQ
- Cascade Warbid Fly Bys
- Blackjack Fly Bys
- Flour Bombing Contest
John Smutny

tonyrob

• Global Moderator
    • The World According To Tony

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »
Tony, are you the PNF Headquarters this year?

Hi Klaus

Not sure yet if I will be able to make it. We are in the process of selling our business and Arlington falls right in the transition period.
I may just drive down for the Saturday.

Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly.
(Walmart warning label 1995)

hotrod180

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »
.....Sunday is being spearheaded by FATPNW. .... The day will include:
....- Spot Landing Contest
.....- Flour Bombing Contest 

Are these two sunday events being held at KAWO?
If so, attendance must gonna be waaay down from the good old days of the Arlington fly-in--
there was so much "normal" traffic that nobody woulda ever even thunk about trying to do a runway-involved event like those.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:39:52 AM by hotrod180 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4