Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Washington State Aviation license plate  (Read 2947 times)

Al Gilson

• Global Moderator
  • "Go Eagles!" (I'm on the left)
    • Hangar 49

Re: Washington State Aviation license plate
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »
C'mon Washington pilots (and spouses, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc.)  Let's get this.  You don't have to be a pilot to sign the petition, just a Washington resident.

Al (Stuffing the ballot box is OK) Gilson
Al (insert witty statement here) Gilson
Cuurently planeless
KSFF Spokane, WA
www.hangar49.info

Ghery

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 05:25:22 PM »
I signed the petition.  I won't be changing over to the new plates when they become available as I like my WSU plates (and the money that goes to the scholarship fund from them).  However, supporting the creation of the aviation plates is easy and there is no commitment to purchasing them involved.
Ghery
PP-ASEL IA
Center O Flying Club - OLM

DRW

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 12:18:31 PM »
This was just announced-

"Greetings!
The Washington State Aviation Alliance has some great news to report after the holiday weekend!
As of Monday morning, Nov. 28, WSDOT Aviation has collected 3,932 signatures for the Aviation License Plate petition.  This is comfortably over the 3,500 signatures that are required by DOL to move this initiative forward; however, I do have a request for you.
Let’s keep this effort going!
We reached the “magic” 3,500 number over a relatively short period of time, but we still have until January 1 to collect signatures. Therefore, it makes sense to continue soliciting support for the license plate until the deadline is up. The more signatures that we have when the Legislature considers the Aviation License Plate Bill, the more likely that Rep. Tom Dent will have the votes needed to push us over the top! 
I want to sincerely thank you for your efforts to spread the word about the license plate petition. The petition/signature website went live on Wednesday, Nov 16th, just under two weeks ago.  We actually had the required 3,500 signatures by Thanksgiving or in just over one week!  Truly an amazing accomplishment when compared to similar efforts in other states!
This truly was a team effort. Thanks again for your part in making the Aviation License Plate initiative an enormous success thus far … and … let’s keep going!

Sincerely,

David Ketchum
President
Washington State Aviation Alliance  (WSAA)"
Piloting 182 out of 3W7 (Electric City)
ASEL, AOPA, WPA, WSAA, WASP, NRA Benefactor
RAF State Liaison

Les

• Global Moderator
    • Les Flue . Com

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 05:30:08 PM »
 ;)

This was just announced-

"Greetings!
The Washington State Aviation Alliance has some great news to report after the holiday weekend!
As of Monday morning, Nov. 28, WSDOT Aviation has collected 3,932 signatures for the Aviation License Plate petition.  This is comfortably over the 3,500 signatures that are required by DOL to move this initiative forward; however, I do have a request for you.
Let’s keep this effort going!
We reached the “magic” 3,500 number over a relatively short period of time, but we still have until January 1 to collect signatures. Therefore, it makes sense to continue soliciting support for the license plate until the deadline is up. The more signatures that we have when the Legislature considers the Aviation License Plate Bill, the more likely that Rep. Tom Dent will have the votes needed to push us over the top! 
I want to sincerely thank you for your efforts to spread the word about the license plate petition. The petition/signature website went live on Wednesday, Nov 16th, just under two weeks ago.  We actually had the required 3,500 signatures by Thanksgiving or in just over one week!  Truly an amazing accomplishment when compared to similar efforts in other states!
This truly was a team effort. Thanks again for your part in making the Aviation License Plate initiative an enormous success thus far … and … let’s keep going!

Sincerely,

David Ketchum
President
Washington State Aviation Alliance  (WSAA)"
- Les
N113CM
KYKM
http://www.lesflue.com

Klaus

• NOTAM : Altitude Creates a Sense of Euphoria
    • Klaus Website

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 05:25:59 PM »
Latest Update:  ;D

http://kpq.com/aviation-license-plates-one-step-closer-reality/
Aviation License Plates One Step Closer to Reality
Posted By: KPQ contributor, Kevin Rounce March 2, 2017

Washington aviation enthusiasts may soon be able to share their passion with the world. A bill sponsored by Moses Lake Republican Tom Dent passed the Washington State House Tuesday that would create a Washington aviation license plate. Dent says part of the proceeds from the plates would be used to support infrastructure improvements at public use airports noting, “Aviation has been such a big part of our state’s history, dating back more than 100 years when Boeing landed in Washington.” The bill now heads to the Senate for consideration.

Klaus Marx
Juneau, AK (PAJN) & East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT)

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »
I'm happy to know this has progressed so far and it's prospects look pretty good (and I'm thankful to all who have made it happen).

But the state really ought to give me one of these for free.  I first proposed this over 10 years ago:

Back when I was doing the WPA Wings newsletter (I redesigned it to its current format), I was working on the April/May 2006 issue, and needed to fill some space.  It occurred to me that we all ought to have our own vanity plates, with proceeds going back to support GA.  I came up with the image above as a starting point (and to help fill a hole on page 2 8)).  Because I was hurrying to meet a printer's deadline, I just used some generic airplane art I had on hand - a semi-accurate depiction of a Super Cub on floats, which seemed appropriate enough (hey, it was late at night, and I was in a hurry).  Had I enjoyed the luxury of time, I would have worked a broomtail C-150 into the plate.

Still glad to see this is likely to happen.
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
Just got this email today:

You are receiving this email because you signed the petition (or subscription list) in support of the first ever Washington Aviation Specialty License Plate series. Thank you for your support! Released November 16, 2016 and closed on April 4, 2017, the petition collected a total of 4,354 signatures reflecting intended purchases, exceeding the Department of Licensing (DOL) 3,500 signature minimum.

Representative Tom Dent, an avid aviation supporter in Washington, proposed House Bill 1400 “Creating a Washington Aviation Special License Plate” on January 19, 2017. As a result of the successful petition and the efforts of the Washington State Aviation Alliance (WSAA), the bill received the official approving signature from Governor Inslee on April 14, 2017.

On April 25th, WSAA made a final unanimous decision on the plate’s design (color scheme above), which was informed by an advisory vote taken at the Northwest Aviation Conference and Trade show in Puyallup on February 25th and 26th . Those who voted at the Northwest Aviation Conference and Trade Show also entered for the opportunity to be one of five to win a reservation to purchase one of the first 25 Washington Aviation Specialty License Plates ever made. Four of the five winners chose to accept their reservation. Congratulations to those winners listed below!
1. Marvin Coolidge
2. Dan Shoemaker
3. Bob Nelson
4. Robert Babler

WSDOT is currently working with DOL to finalize the design in order to meet all requirements. The plate should be implemented and available July 1, 2017. Purchases may be made online by visiting http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/specialdesign.html or by visiting your local vehicle licensing office. WSDOT will email those who signed the petition again when the plate is available.
This is an exciting to opportunity to support aviation and Washington’s public-use airports. The anticipated cost for the aviation plate will be $40 (in addition to specialty license plate production fees and annual tab fees). Of that fee, $28 would support aviation-specific initiatives such as: 
Airport infrastructure improvements to support statewide disaster response and recovery operations (examples: wildland fires, earthquake, landslide response).
Economic development opportunities to enhance public access to airports, such as informational kiosks.
·         Statewide aviation infrastructure-related awareness programs that promote public participation at airports.
Thank you again for supporting the Washington Aviation License Plate series.
If you have any questions regarding the Washington Aviation License Plate, please contact Elizabeth Slabaugh, WSDOT aviation planner at slabaue@wsdot.wa.gov or 360-709-8028.
   Sincerely,

Tristan Atkins
Director
Aviation Division
Pages: 1 [2]