Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Washington State Aviation license plate  (Read 2153 times)

Al Gilson

• Global Moderator
  • "Go Eagles!" (I'm on the left)
    • Hangar 49

Washington State Aviation license plate
« on: November 16, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
Hi folks:

There's a proposal to have a Washington State Aviation vanity license plate for your car, truck, motorhome, etc.  They need 3,500 signatures on the online petition to present it to the Legislature in January. (Actually, only 3,499 because I was the first one to sign it.)   A portion of the registration fee will go to aviation uses.  There is a SurveyMonkey petition set up to take your name and info.  Let's get a cool plate! (Of course, only Washington residents can sign the petition.)

Al (Tell your friends!) Gilson
Al (insert witty statement here) Gilson
Cuurently planeless
KSFF Spokane, WA
www.hangar49.info

Frank

Re: Washington State Aviation license plate
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:20:28 PM »
Al,  just sent to the Pilots at Pearson Field.  Thanks for posting. 

ErikU

• Utter Associates

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 10:47:50 PM »
Hmm,.  I don't know..  I haven't seen what it looks like.  Will it feature a V-Tail?

BE-35 'S' Bonanza - Seattle - BFI

DRW

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:07:58 AM »
Hmm,.  I don't know..  I haven't seen what it looks like.  Will it feature a V-Tail?

Right now there are about 6 different versions of the plate- but all of them have a Boeing Stearman as the plane- honoring our biggest aviation contributor in the state, and trying to stay somewhat neutral in not starting arguments between pilots as to high wing vs low, or Cessna vs piper, etc. The backgrounds vary and final choice has not yet been made (plan is to make public at the NWAC in Puyallup in Feb) If you go to the survey site you can view one sample and read how the money will be utilized for aviation.
A great way to show your pride and to support aviation in our state.

dave
Piloting 182 out of 3W7 (Electric City)
ASEL, AOPA, WPA, WSAA, WASP, NRA Benefactor
RAF State Liaison

Dan_Root

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:15:38 AM »
Filled out the Monkey.
L8A - Slightly modified

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:04:09 AM »
I was disappointed they went from the B&W to the Model 75, it has no strong connection to the Northwest.

I'm going to hold of signing to see if my signature is needed towards the end.

John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

Les

• Global Moderator
    • Les Flue . Com

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 12:58:18 PM »
Am I missing it, it doesn't appear that the site is updating the number of signatures received.
- Les
N113CM
KYKM
http://www.lesflue.com

DRW

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 06:35:41 PM »
It appears that way Les- I signed onto it couple weeks ago on a hard copy when we began the process- maybe the online survey will get updated overnite!
(and Al thought he was number 1!!) :)

dave
RAF State Liaison

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »
I was disappointed they went from the B&W to the Model 75, it has no strong connection to the Northwest.....

IMHO there's no way they could put an airplane on there that'll satisfy everyone.
Naturally, I'd like to see MY airplane used. But to represent this state's rich aviation history, I think a Boeing 40 biplane or Boeing 247 would be awesome. A Boeing 737 would represent our aviation-driven local economy.  Or use a Puget Sound icon- a  Beaver floatplane.

I signed the petition, even though I don't plan to buy one of these plates if/when they're available.
But I feel that since every other little special group (firemen, huskies, cougs, etc) has plates, us aviators oughta have one too.

tosten

• I heart flying

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 02:16:03 PM »
If square dancing gets a plate aviation should. 
Paul

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things"  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

P35 Bonanza--KHIO

N804RV

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 06:45:33 AM »
.... Or use a Puget Sound icon- a  Beaver floatplane.

Gets my vote!
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit mostly finished
         Wings in work

Domenick

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 07:02:18 AM »
...A portion of the registration fee will go to aviation uses.  ...
What portion? We were also told the lottery proceeds would go to education, yet somehow it ended up in the General Fund.
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

DRW

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 07:19:01 AM »

As stated in the survey petition announcement, this is the dispersement.

"The anticipated cost for the aviation plate would be $40 (in addition to annual tab fees). Of that fee, $12 would cover vehicle licensing fees and the remaining $28 would support aviation-specific initiatives such as:
•Airport infrastructure improvements to support statewide disaster response and recovery operations (examples: wildland fires, earthquake, landslide response).
•Economic development opportunities to enhance public access to airports, such as informational kiosks. 
•Statewide aviation awareness programs that promote public participation at airports.
 WSDOT Aviation also encourages Washington's aviation community to share on this petition your ideas about where funding is most needed regarding aviation and public-use airports within Washington State. "

RAF State Liaison

HalfFullGlass

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 10:42:23 AM »

IMHO there's no way they could put an airplane on there that'll satisfy everyone. ...

I signed the petition, ...I feel that since every other little special group (firemen, huskies, cougs, etc) has plates, us aviators oughta have one too.

Agree.  Only 25,400 pilots live in Washington.  We're just .33% of the population.  Very few of Washington's residents have ever sat in a GA aircraft and well over 99% don't know the difference between a V-Tailed "What's it" and an aerobatic Bi-wing "That's it" aircraft.  The unique auto plate creates a mind picture connection of the image with this thing we call GA.  When people see the plate on your car/truck/RV, that's what counts. 

Did the survey, likely to buy a plate.

ErikU

• Utter Associates

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »
•Economic development opportunities to enhance public access to airports, such as informational kiosks. 
•Statewide aviation awareness programs that promote public participation at airports.

Those two sound like great ideas that I would definitely support funding.  Anything we can do to increase awareness by non-pilots is a very good thing. 

I thought it would go without saying, but I was just joking about only being interested if there were a V-Tail featured....   I'd only actually be interested if it specifically said the S model was the fastest!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:51:09 AM by ErikU »
BE-35 'S' Bonanza - Seattle - BFI
Pages: [1] 2