Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tempest UREM37BY Spark Plugs  (Read 1549 times)

FastEddie

Tempest UREM37BY Spark Plugs
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:11:35 PM »
I made an email inquiry about an airplane for sale. The plane is powered by an O-235C1B. One of my questions to the seller was how he mitigates leading in his low compression engine burning 100LL. His answer was that the engine uses UREM37BY plugs so lead deposits have never been an issue.
Can it really be as simple as that?
Whadda y'all think?
The plane is relatively close by and in my price wheelhouse, so if that spark plug solves the lead deposit bugaboo then I would likely transition from tire kicker to potential buyer.
Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
                                                                           -Aviation Dictionary

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

Re: Tempest UREM37BY Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 09:09:44 PM »
Yes.  This was discussed today in the maintenance class I'm attending.  They work.

Daryl
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

Tom-D.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:59:14 PM »
Yes.  This was discussed today in the maintenance class I'm attending.  They work.

Daryl
Not much better than any other.  A hotter range plug helps, but there is no cure.

JugheadF15

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 04:25:57 AM »
MMO

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 07:00:33 AM »
Here are a few articles about spark plugs that may help you:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2007/march/pilot/airframe-and-powerplant-(3)

http://generalaviationnews.com/2009/09/02/tips-to-reduce-spark-plug-fouling/

There are plenty of others, just Google long reach plugs Lycoming 0-235

Many, many airplanes fly just fine on the 0-235. 

Daryl
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 07:21:39 AM »
The Lycoming O-235-C1B is listed by Petersen Aviation as approved for 87 octane ethanol-free mogas.
Lead fouling isn't an issue when your fuel doesn't contain any lead.

groupw

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 10:00:24 AM »
Adding TCP to the fuel significantly reduces lead fouling from 100LL.

Roy Lewallen

FastEddie

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 07:48:21 PM »
Many thanks, guys.
Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
                                                                           -Aviation Dictionary

N1032M

• Cessna 150K "Little Mike"

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 07:14:34 AM »
I know it's past your decision point but I thought I would share my experience.

My C150K, purchased 3 years ago suffered from rough mag checks even though I use mostly mogas. Right mag dropped 75rpm and the left stumbled and spit when cold. It was so bad that I was about to send the left mag out when I read David's Post about plugs:

http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/index.php?topic=6297.msg54982#msg54982

I switched to the Tempest UREM37BY plugs and now the right mag drops 50rpm and the left is even less.

Bryan
C150
Roche Harbor
Bryan
Roche Harbor

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 08:49:13 AM »
I'm curious as to whether you tested your old plugs?
This webpage will tell you how:  http://www.aircraftmagnetoservice.net/magneto-troubleshooting-guide
While you think you may have fixed the problem with a different type of sparkplug,
it might be just that they are new plugs and therefore within specs.
FWIW most people feel that plugs are good for somewhere around 500 hours.
Even if they still look good, after that 500 hours the resistance has often built up int them to where they no longer meet spec.

FWIW I've heard that 37BY's will help prevent fouling with 100LL use,
but I don't believe there's any advantage if you're using mogas.
I've always used the standard REM-40's.
Tempest plugs are a bit less money than Champions,
supposed to be a better design too (at least according to tempest!).

N1032M

• Cessna 150K "Little Mike"

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 01:41:29 PM »
Hotrod,

Plugs were 250 hours old when I bought the plane. They were cleaned, tested and rotated at every annual by my A&P. I personally checked the resistance. Once at Abbotsford I had a long departure wait (leaned as always) and had a horrible mag check. When I got home I pulled and inspected the plugs and found little or no fouling.

I understand that from a troubleshooting standpoint, the cure may not fit the problem. OTOH that's not a good reason for putting the champions back in :)
Bryan
Roche Harbor

WadeT

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 07:00:54 PM »

I've read that Champion quietly updated their design a couple of years ago and are now very similar to the Autolite/Tempest plugs.

http://blog.aopa.org/opinionleaders/2015/03/19/champion-from-denial-to-acceptance/

On a different note, Tempest/Autolite quality has been unimpressive as of late.  2 of the 6 plugs I recently bought failed after only 10 hours in service with resistances in the megaohm range.  I've used 2 sets of Unison/Autolite prior and they were solid performers.

-Wade

Velocity N62AL
KPAE

piperfan

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »

I've read that Champion quietly updated their design a couple of years ago and are now very similar to the Autolite/Tempest plugs.

http://blog.aopa.org/opinionleaders/2015/03/19/champion-from-denial-to-acceptance/

On a different note, Tempest/Autolite quality has been unimpressive as of late.  2 of the 6 plugs I recently bought failed after only 10 hours in service with resistances in the megaohm range.  I've used 2 sets of Unison/Autolite prior and they were solid performers.

I've said this on many other sites and I'll say it here again. TEMPEST is cheap. You get what you pay for. Sure, it works 98% of the time. Their plugs and Oil filters. However, you do always hear 2% of the complaints regarding to weird failures of tempest.

I've installed 100's of oil filter. The only one to ever leak, was a Tempest.

Another friend had his Tempest filter paint bubble and flake off.

They have great Customer service however.

As for Champion plugs. That's all I've ran. That's what all Overhaul shops install after an o/h. The new design works. Just like the old resistor type. Yes, the old style was more prone to vibration, but worked 98% of time.  ;)
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

skywag

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
The trouble with the new style Champion plugs is that they still have the EXACT part number as their old trouble prone plug.

So, when purchasing them, one doesn't know if they are the new or old.

Plus, they did this all in secrecy, all the while ignoring the tide of dissatisfied customers.

Champion..................NEVER!!
Desert Aire Airport Manager (M94)

will moffitt

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »
I agree with Skywag just on a matter of principle.  I had bad champion plugs and replaced with Tempest, they were old, can't complain too much.   Slight cost difference was not a factor.  If you look down the hole in the small end of the plug the bad old style has a screwdriver slot, the good kind does not.  But it might be the other way around, can't remember.  Champion was trying to hide it for too long before they improved the design.  If you are buying plugs and want Champion I would read the above referenced article and find out which ones to buy, slotted or smooth.

will
Pages: [1] 2