Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: VUO class D going away  (Read 870 times)

flytiw

VUO class D going away
« on: September 28, 2016, 02:27:29 PM »
According to this, the short-lived Pearson class D will soon be no more.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/sep/27/faa-oks-new-rule-for-pearson-field/

skywag

Re: VUO class D going away
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 02:35:46 PM »
Now the National Park Service should be kicked off the field.
Desert Aire Airport Manager (M94)

groupw

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
In the "Aeronautical Chart Bulletins" section of the new A/FD. . . oops, Chart Supplement effective Nov. 10, Pearson is changed from Class D to a Special Flight Rules Area on the Seattle Sectional. But in the main section, the procedure still directs us to call Pearson Advisory "prior to entering Class D airspace" or departing, and in the "Special Notices" section (p. 260) it still states that Pearson is Class D in describing the same procedure as before. This is reminiscent of the contradictory information that appeared when UAO got its tower recently. I'll continue to call Pearson Advisory until I see it changed in the main Chart Supplement section or until Pearson Advisory tells me to quit.

Roy

Pilawt

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 12:56:31 PM »
The word I've gotten from those in the know, is that there is to be no change from the standpoint of operating procedures.  The whole point of the change was to get rid of the anomaly of a Class D without a tower.  Pearson Advisory will remain open for business.
Jeff Jacobs
C-172N-180
KGYR / Phoenix AZ

groupw

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »
That's logical and reasonable. Presumably the various sections of the Chart Supplement will eventually catch up with the new designation.

Roy

luvflyin

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 06:50:39 AM »
In the Airport/Facility Directory of the Chart Supplement the AIRSPACE: CLASS D is gone.  But the COMM/NAV/WEATHER REMARKS: still says "arrivals ctc Pearson Advisory on 119.0 prior to entering Class D airspace....."

The Aeronautical Chart Bulletins for the Seattle Sectional deletes the VANCOUVER, WA Class D airspace and it adds "Part 93 Special Flight Rules Area at PEARSON FIELD arpt:" and gives the boundaries of the airspace.

The Special Notices still has the "VFR ADVISORY AREA IN VICINITY OF PEARSON FIELD AIRPORT VANCOUVER, WA" entry that has been there for a long time.  It still says "VUO has a 24 hour Class D surface area...." and goes on with "VUO Airport Recommended Procedures:"

But where is Part 93.  It is suppossed to be Subpart N, Sections 93.161, 162 and 163.  The only place I can find it is in The Federal Register from 09/12/2016 which says it is the "Final Rule." and will become effective 11/10/2016.  But I cannot find a FAR Part 93 anywhere that has that Subpart N.

Renton does it again.  What a mess.
Mike G

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 07:57:23 AM »
An old-time toast: "confusion to the enemy".....

Pilawt

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »
I've been in touch this morning with a local pilot who was an insider to this process over the past several months.  His comments in response to the questions raised above:

Class D is gone, VUO is now Class E with part 93 procedures that are intended to reflect exactly what the procedures have been over the past several years. Since the Class E space, except for an extension out to the west of the field, is identical geometry to the old class D, I would advise pilots to follow the procedures on page 260 of the Chart Supplement (special notices section) and just replace "Class D" with "SFAR 93 Airspace". This is what controllers expect.

The Part 93 procedures are intended to be simply codification of the procedures that have been used at VUO for the last several years, nothing more, nothing less. The Federal Register goes to pains to say this is not the case for their internal reasons, but this is what the 93 was all about. If you squint really hard and look at the language this becomes evident, but the FAA has chosen a fairly tortured path to get there. To that end the part 93 is a good thing for VUO and what you are observing is simply inelegant roll out.

Any discrepancies between Chart Supplement VUO listing (10 Nov 2016, page 217), Chart Supplement Special Notices (page 260), the Federal Register, LTA-PDX-2, subpart N and eventually the Seattle Sectional are due to either publication date misalignment where documents have not gone through their normal update cycle or  the FAA simply not accurately documenting. I am assuming that over time all of these documents will begin to harmonize. Watching what took place at SLE and UAO might be instructive to help understand what to expect over the next 6-9 months at VUO.
Jeff Jacobs
C-172N-180
KGYR / Phoenix AZ

114SM

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 05:00:12 PM »
This was the content of an email I got from the WPA a couple days ago. I found in interesting that it says "establish" communications ten miles out or Prior to taxi. I use to taxi out do my runup then call them when i was ready to go...

Here are the new KVUO procedures:
?Pilots must obtain the ASOS prior to calling Pearson Advisory
?Pilots must establish two-way comm. with Pearson Advisory prior to taxi or 10 miles out
?Departing pilots must maintain at or below 700 MSL prior to departure turn
?Pilots must remain outside class C
?Rwy 26 is a right-hand pattern
?In the even of radio failure inbound, pilots may operate only in basic VFR conditions
If you have any questions call our VP Gary at 360-281-0196

Tim

groupw

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 12:21:12 AM »
Sorry, the quoted WPA procedures aren't the same as the ones published in the Chart Supplement. I'm sticking with the latter.

Roy

Pilawt

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 07:40:48 AM »
Roy is correct.  More from the local insider to the process ...

I would say that the WPA email you reference, while well intentioned, compounds confusion on an already confusing roll out by the FAA. There are some inconsistencies between what that note said and the actual procedure, and one potentially very dangerous omission. Line by line I will comment below. How something that has worked just fine for years can get so messed up is beyond me. All the FAA had to do was document the current procedures word for word and there would have been no issues. Again, I would strongly encourage pilots to simply use the procedure on page 260 (Special Notices) of the Chart Supplement document.

-- Pilots must obtain the ASOS prior to calling Pearson Advisory
   This is correct.

-- Pilots must establish two-way comm. with Pearson Advisory prior to taxi or 10 miles out
   This is not correct. The procedure in the Supplement is to call prior to departing outbound, and at least 5 miles from VUO inbound. The Federal Register text states that contact must take place prior to entering the SFRA or taxiing onto the runway for departure. So, outbound, make the call in the run up area just like now. Regarding the inbound call in my opinion the FAA screwed up despite repeated efforts on our part to get them to correct their new language. Currently pilots call north of Vancouver lake (5 miles from VUO per the Chart Supplement) so that they are in contact with ATC before getting into congested airspace under the C shelf over populated areas. The Federal Register language indicates that the call should take place prior to entering the SFRA which is only about 1.5 miles from VUO. So, to be legal, call inbound before the SFRA - to be safe, make the call north of Vancouver Lake at 5 miles as now.

-- Departing pilots must maintain at or below 700 MSL prior to departure turn
   This is where the WPA email is dangerously incomplete IMO. The actual language in the chart supplement and the Federal Register is that aircraft are to be at or below 700' both over the field and on the extended center line. This is not just a departure restriction, it applies to arrivals, go arounds and departures. This rule, perhaps more than any other, is what keeps the airspace safe.

-- Pilots must remain outside class C
This is correct.

-- Rwy 26 is a right-hand pattern
This is correct.

-- In the event of radio failure inbound, pilots may operate only in basic VFR conditions
This is correct although worded backwards form the original language.

I have included the Federal Register text below so you can see where it slightly differs from the Chart Supplement Special Notices section. Just as a heads up, in the next charting cycle for the Seattle Sectional there is supposed to be an inset box added that has an abbreviated version of the procedure. We have submitted to the FAA, on several occasions, suggested text for the box however based on the roll out that is taking place I am not confident that it will have any better fidelity and may bring another round of confusion.

Federal Register Text:
• Pilots must establish two-way radio communications with Pearson Advisory on the common traffic advisory frequency for the purpose of receiving air traffic advisories prior to entering the SFRA or taxiing onto the runway for departure. Additionally, pilots must continuously monitor the frequency at all times while operating within the designated airspace.
• When operating over the extended centerline of Pearson Field Runway 8/ 26, pilots must maintain an altitude at or below 700 feet MSL.
• Pilots must obtain the Pearson Field weather prior to establishing two-way communications with Pearson Advisory.
• Pilots must remain outside Portland Class C Airspace.
• Pilots must make a right-hand traffic pattern when operating to/from Pearson Field Runway 26.
• Pilots may operate in the area without establishing two-way radio communication, in the event of radio failure, provided that weather conditions at Pearson Field are at or above basic VFR weather minimums.
Jeff Jacobs
C-172N-180
KGYR / Phoenix AZ

114SM

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 08:11:31 AM »
Thanks Jeff. I too will follow whats in the Supplement. I was just posting that so pilots could see what else is being put out there. I appreciate what WPA is trying to do but in this case, they might have had someone more "in the know" verify what they were sending out.

Your friends comment regarding how something that has worked fine for years get so messed up in spot on. Im thankful to all the pilots who got involved to keep Pearson accessible to all of us without further hassles.

Tim