Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Odyssey dry cell battery field approval  (Read 949 times)

ColinFitzGerald

Odyssey dry cell battery field approval
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:35:12 AM »
I am thinking about  an accessory alteration for my c-150 .  Could anyone give advise about changing from a lead acid battery to a dry cell Odyssey Sbs-J16 battery?  This dry cell is STC'd for Piper Pa18 and a few others and with field approval, can be used in a C150 as I understand.  Thanks!

HalfFullGlass

Re: Odyssey dry cell battery field approval
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »
Is it weight, reliability, or??? that is enticing you to jump through the paper hoops?

CubFlying.com

• '48 Cub Special, '15 Super Legend Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »
Those of use who have used the Odyssey will tell you that it's worth the "hoops" to jump through.  You'll find them to be reliable, long lasting and yes, lighter weight. 

Those "paper hoops" are pretty simple if you have the right A&P with a good working relationship with their POI.

Daryl
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If the highest aim of a captain were to preserve his ship, he would keep it in port forever." - Thomas Aquinas

HalfFullGlass

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 06:29:10 PM »
Those of use who have used the Odyssey will tell you that it's worth the "hoops" to jump through.  You'll find them to be reliable, long lasting and yes, lighter weight. 

Those "paper hoops" are pretty simple if you have the right A&P with a good working relationship with their POI.

Daryl

Is there a list online someplace of airframe/engine/electrical system combinations previously approved by FSDO or A&P?  24 v?  14v?  Are we talkin' log book entry, or what?  What's the cost of one of these things?

CubFlying.com

• '48 Cub Special, '15 Super Legend Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 07:25:35 PM »
Is there a list online someplace of airframe/engine/electrical system combinations previously approved by FSDO or A&P?  24 v?  14v?  Are we talkin' log book entry, or what?  What's the cost of one of these things?

John-

If someone wants to install in a particular aircraft, all they need to do is Google:  "Installing an Odyssey battery in _____________ aircraft."

Daryl
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If the highest aim of a captain were to preserve his ship, he would keep it in port forever." - Thomas Aquinas

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 08:07:16 PM »
I installed an Odyssey battery in the existing battery box in my last airplane, a C150/150TD.
It was done with a field approval, in Jan 2010.
I made an aluminum hat-section spacer for a good fit of the new battery into the battery box.
I no longer own the airplane and therefore don't have any of the paperwork,
but you could get the airplane records CD from the FAA for $15. N4430U

Assuming your A&P/IA has a good working relationship with his maintenance inspector,
I'd think he could just contact him & talk over what the inspector wants on the 337.
I never had a lick of trouble with that Odyssey battery.
I have one on my current mount (C180) as well.

will moffitt

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 08:26:19 PM »
I just bought an odyssey 680 for my biplane.  $107 from battery mart and free shipping.  15 lb versus 23, important for me.  Less than  half the size.  I wanted to move my CG a little forward and with this battery being so small I can do that.  I do need to make a new battery holder for it.  Another factor is I got some acid out of the old battery and as you all know that is not good.  It was limited to the battery holder.  Lucky me.  The odyssey can be mounted any position except upside down, which it will be for short periods of time.  I do not have an alternator so it must be charged.  I got about 25 starts between charges on the old battery, no problem even on cross country.  This one should be better.   The down side.  A standard charger will only charge it about 80% and depends on the alternator to finish the charge, no alternator.  I think there is a special charger for them, will be checking it out.
I owned a c 150 for 20 plus years and in my opinion the paper work would have to be real easy for me to switch.

will

HalfFullGlass

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 08:47:28 PM »
I have one on my current mount (C180) as well.

Worth a little more lookin'.

Thanx

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 09:50:41 AM »
I just bought an odyssey 680 for my biplane....I do need to make a new battery holder for it. ...

Dunno if you're gonna mount the battery on the firewall, the floor, or ??, but Spruce sells a nice little hold-down bracket for the Odyssey PC-680 for about $39.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/odysseydry9.php

Dan_Root

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 07:49:44 AM »
+1 for Odyssey's being good batteries.  I don't need one for the L8A yet, but when replacement time comes, I'll jump through paper hoops to get either STC or Field Approval.
L8A - Slightly modified

martyduke

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »
My A@P IA installed one with just a logbook entry, for my Alon Aircoupe , as a minor modification, after researching it.  I did get the aircraft approved model, for $180 from National Aircraft.  They are lighter, have much more cranking power for the first 10 seconds, and will maintain a charge for a much longer time.
Marty