Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Need to Paint my airplane, help!  (Read 888 times)

Boywhocouldfly

Need to Paint my airplane, help!
« on: July 29, 2016, 01:00:25 PM »
I've got an old Grumman AA-5 (Base at KSPB) and I can't find anyone within 500 miles to paint my airplane. I don't want to take it apart, just sand and shoot, nothing fancy. Every one I've spoken to says they "can kind of do it" but they don't have a paint booth big enough for an airplane so it'll have to be taken apart and brought to them. I'd honestly wet-sand and shoot the plane in my hanger if I could find someone to do it. Anyway, anything info would help. is there anyone on the planet capable of painting a plane for under $10,000??

Thanks!
Andrew
KSPB
503-381-5805

ErikU

• Utter Associates

Re: Need to Paint my airplane, help!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »
Not sure if it helps, but if you are interested in doing it yourself...

I understand there is a paint shop at Thun Field in Puyallup (KUOW) that shut down, but is EPA approved, etc.  The owner now rents it out to others by the day.  I heard this from Mike Thompson at Avstar Aviation on the field, so he may be able to put you in touch.

-Erik
BE-35 'S' Bonanza - Seattle - BFI

HangarA13

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:01:28 PM »
There is Jeff at JMI Motoring at Arlington (AWO).  He paints cars, boats, motorcycles, and lots of airplanes.  He did the paint on my RV-12 and does most of the paint for the Two-Weeks-To-Taxi crowd at Glasair.  He has painted Alpha Jets and many others.  You're Grumman will just take a corner of his shop.  Below are the numbers I have for him:

Work  360-403-1683
     Cell    206-612-4849

2appraise

• Infinite Air Center

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 08:10:26 PM »
Andrew, there is a painter in Eugene.  He does amazing work.

PM me if you are interested in his information.

I've got an old Grumman AA-5 (Base at KSPB) and I can't find anyone within 500 miles to paint my airplane. I don't want to take it apart, just sand and shoot, nothing fancy. Every one I've spoken to says they "can kind of do it" but they don't have a paint booth big enough for an airplane so it'll have to be taken apart and brought to them. I'd honestly wet-sand and shoot the plane in my hanger if I could find someone to do it. Anyway, anything info would help. is there anyone on the planet capable of painting a plane for under $10,000??

Thanks!
Andrew
KSPB
503-381-5805
Infinite Air Center
Albany Municipal Airport - S12
E. thann@InfiniteAirCenter.com | P. 541.730.3345
W. www.InfiniteAirCenter.com | www.RotaxMaintenance.com
www.facebook.com/infiniteaircenter

Tom-D.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:25:13 PM »
NEVER sand an aluminum aircraft. Aluminum has a alclad coating when you scratch it you ruin the corrosion protection.
Use a safety stripper to remove the old paint. but protect you bonded seams from being weakened. do not allow the stripper to touch the seams.
 And be very careful not to allow the stripper to get on your canopy.
This is not a job for a novice.

HalfFullGlass

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 09:06:27 AM »

Thanks!
Andrew
KSPB
503-381-5805

1st:  DON'T use sand paper on your plane.  I second Tom-D's comment in spades.  His other suggests also have merit.
2nd: Select your paint shop carefully.  While there are some options in Canada and in other states, how often can you visit to check on progress?  "Cheap" and "inexpensive" are often very difficult to distinguish.  A few years ago I had a plane painted in Penticton, BC ... That mistake was expensive to fix.
3rd:  Visit the shop as often as you can, take lots of photos of each step, and talk with your favorite IA (who I assume you can trust) about what you see and their take on it.
4th:  Reweigh the aircraft after the paint job is complete.  Surprise, Surprise - I used to fly a CAP aircraft that gained 100 pounds because the aircraft wasn't stripped. 

Once your plane is 'in the shop' and in process it's really tough to reverse course.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:08:09 AM by HalfFullGlass »

Klaus

• NOTAM : Altitude Creates a Sense of Euphoria
    • Klaus Website

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 12:58:01 PM »
  You forgot to add "control surface balancing" and compliance with the service information regarding Airworthiness Directive (A.D.) 79-22-04.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgad.nsf/0/8E3D2580F001288886256A38005EAB97?OpenDocument

The other Airworthiness Directive that you want to pay particular attention too is 76-17-03:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgad.nsf/0/15ABBB4154F287DA86256A38005E36C8?OpenDocument

Neither A.D. may directly affect your serial number but as these bonded aircraft enter into their 40th year of life they all need to be more carefully checked before spending $10,000 on a paint job. It sure would be a shame if an Annual later after painting that the aircraft is found to have delamination.

Communicate with other like model owners (or forum) and get the service information specific to painting a bonded structured aircraft. You would not be the first to total the aircraft during the paint job.

http://www.grummanpilotsassociation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/SB-117.pdf

http://www.grummanpilotsassociation.com/
http://www.aya.org/
http://www.grumman.net/
http://www.yankee-aviation.com/
Klaus Marx
Juneau, AK (PAJN) & East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT)

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »
NEVER sand an aluminum aircraft. Aluminum has a alclad coating when you scratch it you ruin the corrosion protection.....

I think he's talking about a scuff-and-shoot, NOT about sanding all the way down to the aluminum.
A friend of mine has done scuff-and-shoot paint jobs on several airplanes, including at least one Grumman Yankee, and they all turned out great. Since it's going on top of an existing paint job, it does generally add more weight than a strip-and-paint job.

SunQuest Air Specialties is a pretty well-known paint shop on Paine Field KPAE in Everett WA. They aren't cheap, but their paint work is excellent. You might get ahold of them and talk over your paint job ideas with them.

Tom-D.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »
You will still scratch the skin.