Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dragging it in... why it's a very bad idea  (Read 2446 times)

Stinson Pilot

Re: Dragging it in... why it's a very bad idea
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 07:06:16 AM »
No doubt he took the fence out, the slow motion part clearly shows him lower than the top of the fence, and parts flying when he passes. Lucky guy on the beach...this pilot could have made him have a very bad day.
Flying is the Answer....What was the question?

Doug
Steen Skybolt
Stinson 108-2

Dan_Root

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 10:18:08 AM »
Safety first, always be a little high if you can.

I haven't heard the term "Dragging it in" before.  Very interesting!
L8A - Slightly modified

Ddayle

• I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth.

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »
I had an experience that I needed to drag it in.  Despite being low, but in the glideslope (PAPI) and on speed,  I  missed landing 34 @ S50 becasue of an updraft off Lowes parking lot,  three times.  I started a standard pattern and turned final at 70 Knts, soon  I was at full flap speed,85Knts,  power off, nose full down,  and still gaining over 400 FPM. Finally,  I had to resort to a long 65 Knt full flap drag-in from downtown,@ 500', still gained altitude over Lowes, but made the runway.   NOT my preferred method,Dragging it in makes me very nervous, It left me very few options.
Flying Juliette.  a borrowed 150

Pilotspencer

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
Agreed with Ddayle. Dragging it in has a time and place where it can be executed safely, but is often a dangerous habit to get into. There could be a backstory to his landing that required dragging it in, although I'm not sure what that would be from the looks of the video.

JMPilot

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »
Not sure that guy is draggin it in, but really lousy approach. And what a stupid place to lay in the sun. That's like pulling over on the shoulder of a freeway and having your lunch on the shoulder.
Pages: 1 [2]