Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Confusion over course reversal in RNAV approaches  (Read 674 times)

g46r

Confusion over course reversal in RNAV approaches
« on: April 24, 2016, 02:43:36 PM »
Why are there always confusions (that includes ATC!) on whether a course reversal is needed in an RNAV approach?  Came in today at PAE's RNAV 34L approach - ATC sent me direct IAF and cleared me for the approach.  I started the course reversal at IAF using the published course reversal holding pattern and ATC sounded surprised by it - she expected me to just turn and head straight to FAF.  The reg clearly says that a course reversal is needed unless I'm vectored to the final approach course. (or arriving from a noPT leg, or a timed approach from a holding fix).

BruceAir

• BruceAir

Re: Confusion over course reversal in RNAV approaches
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »
Were you "cleared straight in" (i.e., no course reversal)? If you're ever in doubt, confirm that with ATC as early as possible.

My usual practice when receiving an approach clearance where a PT might be expected but I'm receiving vectors is to include "...cleared straight in..." or "confirm cleared straight in" in my readback. Saves potential confusion.

See AIM 5−4−6. Approach Clearance and 5−4−9. Procedure Turn and Hold−in−lieu of Procedure Turn

b. Limitations on Procedure Turns
1. In the case of a radar initial approach to a final approach fix or position, or a timed approach from a holding fix, or where the procedure specifies NoPT, no pilot may make a procedure turn unless, when final approach clearance is received, the pilot so advises ATC and a clearance is received to execute a procedure turn. (AIM 5-4-9)
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L