Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Taildragger time?  (Read 1008 times)

IanJ

• Multi-purpose nerd

Taildragger time?
« on: April 11, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
I'm thinking of building a Bakeng Deuce, and one of the preliminary steps suggested to me by the master of Deuces was that I get some time in a taildragger which, unlike the Champ I'm used to, offers no straight-ahead visibility while on the ground.  His suggestion was a Citabria or Decathlon.

I already know I can't hit the heel brakes in the one Cub I've tried, so that's probably off the list.  Does anyone want to split costs on some taildragger time, or can anyone suggest places to rent a Citabria or Decathlon?  I've got a message off to BEFA about their Citabria, but I'm not excited about having to pony up hundreds of dollars in initiation fees for what will start out as 2 hours worth of rental.

I appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks!

smutny

• G Junkie
    • Northwest Skyways

Re: Taildragger time?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 03:58:20 PM »
Rainier Flight has a Decathlon available for rent.

Honestly, the Champ ain't bad for a Duce.  Just fly from the back seat, put someone up front if needed.  The last few BEFA members that became partners in my Eagle started to get up to speed with flying from the back seat of the Citabria. (Their choice, not a requirement.)

But overall, it's not that big a deal.  You learn the technique best for you pretty quick.
John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

stearmann4

• Livin' the Dream!

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 05:59:16 AM »
John's right, the back seat of a Champ is just as good as the back seat of anything to train for reduced visibility flying. Honestly, the back seat of a Champ will do more for you than the front seat of a Decathlon or Citabria. The only cost you'll be out is bribing the front seater. I'd consider maybe renting a good T/W CFI for the couple of hours to shotgun in the front.

Mike-
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:29:46 AM by stearmann4 »
Silver Wings Flying Company, LLC
Stewart Airport (KSWF)

IanJ

• Multi-purpose nerd

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »
Good thought, thanks.  I'll see what Arnold at Snohomish (their one remaining TW instructor) thinks of that.