Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Princess Louisa Inlet  (Read 1945 times)

N1032M

• Cessna 150K "Little Mike"

Princess Louisa Inlet
« on: February 21, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »
I have a 150 hangared at Roche Harbor and I was thinking about touring Princess Louisa Inlet once the weather gets better.

Probably clear customs in Nanaimo and make the loop from there.

Anyone done this trip before?

Bryan
N1032M
Bryan
Roche Harbor

Pilotspencer

Re: Princess Louisa Inlet
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 09:31:20 PM »
Done it via Kenmore Air... Never as a pilot. Beautiful area, highly recommended.

N1032M

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:16:41 AM »
When you live in the Islands, Kenmore is your friend.

Do you remember the path they took or the approximate altitude?
Bryan
Roche Harbor

piperfan

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »
When you live in the Islands, Kenmore is your friend.

Do you remember the path they took or the approximate altitude?

Get yourself a Vancouver VNC and Vancouver VTA. Get familiarized with it and know the airspaces.

VNC=VFR Navigation Chart (Sectional)

VTA=VFR Terminal Area Chart (TAC)
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

Pilotspencer

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »
It was a long time ago, up to the Malibu YoungLife Camp, so I don't remember the exact details. I just remembered it being a little windy and there were large swirl currents in the water. Other than that, I don't remember too much about the flight path, I do know that Kenmore varies flight paths quite often based on weather conditions.

piperfan

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »
Many restricted and advisory airspace from YCD to YPW often Notam'd. Not difficult to get around but requires respect. VCR TML Class C often restricted if you want to go higher than 2500' across the water at certain points, again, not difficult to get around unless weather/clouds an issue.

I would recommend 4000' and higher for water crossing. Inlets are surrounded by mountains so use your discretion of how low you want to go.

VR TML does extend close to that area but abv 6500' (salmon arm inlet) and VR Center abv 9500' closeto Jervis Inlet. So you should be fine below or away for those zones. You can still talk to them of course.
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

N1032M

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »
Thanks for the local knowledge.

I was planning on leaving Nanaimo (I've flown there before) then flying north towards Qualicum Beach and crossing over Texada Island. I'm going with a friend who has flown his CTLS Trans Canada several times. He's flying up to the Yukon this fall.

I have an old chart but will of course pick up a current one. The last Canadian chart changed the week after I bought it :).

Does NavCanada publish expected dates for new VNC?
Bryan
Roche Harbor

piperfan

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 01:30:29 PM »
Thanks for the local knowledge.

I was planning on leaving Nanaimo (I've flown there before) then flying north towards Qualicum Beach and crossing over Texada Island. I'm going with a friend who has flown his CTLS Trans Canada several times. He's flying up to the Yukon this fall.

I have an old chart but will of course pick up a current one. The last Canadian chart changed the week after I bought it :).

Does NavCanada publish expected dates for new VNC?

Yeah, that route should work just fine. The two Restricted airspaces fall north and south of Texada Island, so you should be able to go between them no problem.

Yes, NAV can does publish: http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-and-services/pages/aeronautical-information-products-charts.aspx

Click on Hyperlink for each chart and it will take you to PDF of publish dates.
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC