Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sno County flight schools  (Read 2306 times)

z71thunder

Sno County flight schools
« on: February 17, 2016, 06:44:07 PM »
Short story....Pops was a commercial pilot and got me up in the air when I was 17.  I split for the military, college, life, ect......  26 years later.  I want back in. I live in the Monroe area and just looking for PPL for now.  Been to Harvey a few times and like the challenging field and less ground traffic.  Any recommendations for CFI there, or other schools, please post or IM. 

champ flyer

Re: Sno County flight schools
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »
Try to hook up with Arnold Ebneter, he is the senior instructor at Harvey.  He is about 85 yrs young and you will be glad you did.  They have many other instructors as well

Domenick

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 07:57:02 AM »
CFIs come and go. You can't do any better than Arnold, but some personalities mesh better than others, so don't be afraid to switch CFIs if one doesn't work out. Google "Arnold Ebneter" and you will find he is an amazing guy. I trained at Harvey (C152) and Arnold gave me my checkride back when he was young. I have kept a plane there with a partner for 15 years. Some folks think Harvey is short. I've come to consider it cozy. If you want short go to Camano Island or Cashmere.

The decision to train at a non-towered airport versus a towered airport is rather important. There are some pilots who trained at towered airports who are afraid of non-towered fields. They seem to expect anarchy and consider a 3000' runway as short. As most fields in the USA are non-towered this greatly limits their aviation experiences. On the other hand there are pilots who trained at non-towered fields who are intimidated by the procedures and radio work at towered fields. Regardless of which environment you choose, be sure to insist on a lot of training in the other environment.

Paine field has flight training as does Arlington, so consider those options as well. We have a number of CFIs who post here.
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 03:02:31 PM »
The decision to train at a non-towered airport versus a towered airport is rather important. There are some pilots who trained at towered airports who are afraid of non-towered fields. They seem to expect anarchy and consider a 3000' runway as short. As most fields in the USA are non-towered this greatly limits their aviation experiences. On the other hand there are pilots who trained at non-towered fields who are intimidated by the procedures and radio work at towered fields. Regardless of which environment you choose, be sure to insist on a lot of training in the other environment.

No truer words have been spoken...Harvey is a great place to train and just a stone's throw from the tower environment at Paine.

Daryl
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

N804RV

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 05:40:52 PM »

The decision to train at a non-towered airport versus a towered airport is rather important. ...

My CFI was insistent that I get plenty of experience at a variety of airports. I've seen more than one new PPL that was terrified of going to towered airport underlying class B airspace.
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit mostly finished
         Wings in work

z71thunder

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »
Exactly!! I would like to experience all I can and not be in the Oh S*&% moment where no one explained or tested me.  Eventually, I would like to be flying cross country to MT, to our cabin with the family, so similar to road trips. I don't want to piss of my passengers.

Domenick

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 07:41:21 AM »
...Eventually, I would like to be flying cross country to MT, to our cabin with the family, so similar to road trips....
Keep your mission in mind when you eventually shop for a plane. A family hauler needs to haul a fair load. My so-called 4-place Warrior wouldn't do it.
Domenick
PA-28-161

z71thunder

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »
Oh, I know exactly what you are saying.  I recall being stuffed in the back of my old mans cub a few times........

z71thunder

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »
I've been to Harvey and observed that you can get onto the runway pretty quickly, so that means more time in the air.  Is Paine any different?  Since it is a larger airport, do you spend more time waiting to take off? More bang for the buck is what I'm searching for.

N804RV

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »
I've been to Harvey and observed that you can get onto the runway pretty quickly, so that means more time in the air.  Is Paine any different?  Since it is a larger airport, do you spend more time waiting to take off? More bang for the buck is what I'm searching for.

Over the last year and a half that I've been flying regularly out of Paine, I've only had to wait a couple of times for less than a minute, and IIRC it was always  for IFR release, never VFR.

And taxiing from central parking isn't really all that time consuming. 

If you want to talk about sitting on the ground waiting, try flying out of a Navy base with carrier landing quals in progress.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:05:49 PM by N804RV »
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit mostly finished
         Wings in work

z71thunder

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 04:20:06 PM »
Good to hear.  If the weather ever gets better.....I want to get started soon.

Domenick

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 08:01:47 AM »
Good to hear.  If the weather ever gets better.....I want to get started soon.

Get started NOW. You might as well get started on the ground school part of the training even if you can't fly regularly due to weather. When I trained, I found the process back loaded with flight. Once you solo, you can fly whenever you want, given the constraints imposed by the particular school and your wallet. Once I got the CFI out of the plane I flew a lot more.

Also, you want some marginal weather experience. You want to be forced into crosswind takeoffs and  landings, and takeoffs and landings in gusty conditions. You want to experience making a stabilized (more or less) approach in those conditions without getting into cross-control. And you want to learn when to go-around.

Indulge me a quick observation. One thing I realized after reading years of the Nall Safety Report, are the two most dangerous phases of flight. (Nall report should be required reading for students. As should other accident reports. We CAN learn from others' mistakes.) During training we seem to become obsessed with landings. Getting that greaser. But actual landing accidents (low and slow) are rarely fatal. It is takeoff/climb and landing approach that are far more dangerous. Takeoff/climb because you are high and fast--high energy. Landing approach because of inadvertent stalls, again, high and fast.

Here are some links:
http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Safety-and-Technique/Accident-Analysis/Joseph-T-Nall-Report
https://aviation-safety.net/
http://www.asias.faa.gov/pls/apex/f?p=100:93:20447465063364::NO:::
Domenick
PA-28-161

z71thunder

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »
Years ago I had purchased a Cessna private ground school that came with DVDS.  I learned they were outdated and would no longer work on my cput, so I recently got the upgrade to the online version for half price and started on that a few weeks ago.

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 09:19:29 PM »
My two cents worth...don't wait until you start your actual flight instruction. Immerse yourself in aviation-- start spending time at the airport, attend meetings of the local pilots association, WPA chapter, EAA chapter, and/or Saturday morning airpoprt coffee club.  Go to the NW Aviation Show (it was about 2 weeks ago, hope you didn't miss it). Besides learning almost by osmosis, you'll most likely meet some cool people who are already out there doing what you want to start doing -- maybe you'll be invited to tag along.

ErikU

• Utter Associates

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 11:10:17 AM »
There is no reason to wait for better wx, and every reason not to wait. 

You will be dealing with lots of marginal wx around here, so you need to gain experience making the go/no-go decision with a CFI, and understand when it's ok to go have a look and when it isn't.  You don't want to be figuring that out on your own.

BE-35 'S' Bonanza - Seattle - BFI
Pages: [1] 2