Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: CFI near Thun Field  (Read 1303 times)

Bcook

CFI near Thun Field
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:14:54 PM »
I am looking for a cfi near Thun Field to give me instruction. I already have about 40 hours in a 172 from 2006. I will be buying a plane soon. I am looking at Piper Comanche. I can dedicate 2 days a week but. Thank you and happy flying

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

Re: CFI near Thun Field
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »
None of my business but I'm curious as to how you decided on a Comanche, they're a lot of airplane for a new pilot. Insurance rates are probably gonna be pretty high for a low time student pilot with no RG time, and they're just that much harder to learn in. Pretty easy for a student to get flustered in a high-workload situation and forget to put the gear down. Don't scoff, it's happened to plenty of pilots...and not just students either. And the more complicated an airplane is (think retractable gear, constant speed prop, etc), the more opportunity for them to become somewhat of a money hole. Something like a Commanche for your first airplane is really jumping off into the deep end of the airplane ownership pool.

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »
Hotrod makes some good points, but if you really want a Comanche, get one.

They are nice birds.  If you have the funds and like flying, who cares if you have to spend some extra time learning in that bird.  All of that make and model time will help with future (if not current) insurance rates.

Are you looking at 180, 250 05 260?  I doubt you're in the market for mack daddy 400hp Commanche, but you never know.

Daryl Hickman, Flight Instructor
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

Comanche pilot

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »
The Comanche is an awesome airplane!! I may be a bit biased though!! :P
I transitioned directly to the Comanche (180hp) after about 50 hrs. total time in Cessna 172's, getting my license at Harvey Field. Avemco wanted 10 hrs. in type with an instructor and I had to get my complex endorsement anyways, so that worked out well. After the initial check-out and getting comfortable we started instrument work and a few longer cross-country’s to finish up the time. Unfortunately my initial instructor has moved out to the east coast.
Be sure to check out the "Airworthy Comanche Forum". It’s a free forum that is quite active with lots of info and help available there.
The Comanche seems to be pretty undervalued compared to similar performing aircraft. Be sure to get a good pre-buy by a Comanche savvy mechanic. There are plenty of gotcha’s just like any airplane but I think it's one of the biggest bang for your buck airplanes out there!
Feel free to contact me directly if there’s anything I can help with.
Sincerely,
Kevin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:52:24 PM by Comanche pilot »
Kevin
PA-24 Comanche
AWO

Cabbage

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »
I'm curious too about why the Comanche.  Good airplane, just curious about your planned flying that made you pick that particular plane.  Maybe performance and initial purchase cost of available planes?  Speed?  Useful load?  Price? Looks?  Sentimental reasons?

HAL

• Author & Pilot David Sperry

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:21:39 AM »
If you're not adverse to using a FBO based instructor, Spanaflight has been around a long time at PLU, and I'm sure one of their people would fit the bill as an instructor.

David Sperry
David Sperry CFII MEI ATP FE
Hawaiian Airlines A330, 767, DC-10
And... 152, 172, 182, 337, 340, BE76, PA28, SR20, PA31, SF340, A320
KRNT

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »
When I first started my flight instruction, I saw an ad for a KR2 homebuilt and decided that was the airplane for me!
Trained up in a C150, the KR2 was sold by the time I was ready to buy, and I ended up buying a C150 "for now" because I was familiar with the type..
Three Cessna taildraggers later, I now own a Cessna 180...which is about as far from a (nosedragger) KR2 as you can get.
My point being that sometimes you don't know what kind of flying you want to do, and what airplane will work best for that, until you get a little time under your belt. My other point is sometimes it's smarter to start off small in the airplane-ownership world until you see how things can go. A friend of mine's first airplane was a Cessna 210, he got a crash course in airplane ownership issues <$$> in pretty short order. Just a warning, a complex airplane can be a lot more of a money hole than a simple one, so be prepared-- don't spend all your money at purchase time, keep some in reserve "just in case".
I know some people who've learned that lesson the hard way.

Bcook

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 09:48:46 PM »
I am sorry. I meant to say that I am looking for a Piper Cherokee.

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 10:26:08 PM »
I am sorry. I meant to say that I am looking for a Piper Cherokee.

No worries, only four numbers off.  PA-24 vs. PA-28.

Cherokees are great birds and make wonderful trainers.

Have fun!

Daryl
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

Rod

• Spencer Aircraft      Aircraft Hardware and Pilot Supplies online store

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 11:01:03 PM »
Come in to Safety In Motion located on Thun Field inside the Spencer Aircraft building

Multiple instructors
VA Approved.
J3 Cub (with C85 stroker engine)
C150
2 Cessna 172 (getting new G650 installed)
Piper Arrow (new 650 being installed)
Piper Seminole (new 650 being installed)
Red bird Full Motion Simulator 172, 182 & Baron displays
Testing center
Weekly classroom training course
Private briefing rooms
WIFi
Pilot Lounge
Full time Maintenance Staff

Also just found blades for 269C Helicopter so may have that up and running in the near future 3-4 months
www.SpencerAircraft.com Aircraft Hardware and Pilot Supplies
Where General Aviation Lands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYDddPufLpk&feature=youtube_gdata_player