Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Timebuilding - Multiengine-land - seeking ideas, proposing a solution  (Read 2041 times)

SAR_pilot

I am preparing for an ATP practical, and I need about 20 more hours of MEL in the logbook to satisfy FAA requirements to take the ATP test. 

I did my CPL-MEL with an outfit called Prairie Air Services in Benton KS (PAS).  Good deal - I did my CPL-MEL with them, about 25 hours MEL, and room and board was provided on the airfield.  Google them.  They have a time building offering in their MEL aircraft for average $80 per hour.  Which is a whole lot better than $260+$60 instructor = $320 per hour locally.  They achieve this with the FAA-legal safety pilot/pilot flying both logging PIC.  Note:  I know this is not about blue-ribbon MEL experience building - this is about satisfying the FAA with 50 hours MEL, to take the ATP practical, to qualify to apply for a regional pilot job, to enter their airline MEL/type rating training program, on their nickel. 

Two questions:

1) is there any outfit you know of in the PNW area that offers similar arrangement, at a similar price?  (I've looked.)
2) are there any CPL-MEL-IFR pilots out there on PNW Flying forums who want to upgrade their certificate or build MEL time as training partners?  Splitting the Safety/PF is required to achieve $80/hr MEL with PAS.

I am looking to schedule some time for this in KS in the Spring 2016, provided I can find a training partner who has similar MEL timebuilding goals and is willing to take a flight to KS. 

Thank you for your advice, replies, and any expressions of interest,

Randy
1450 TT
CPL-SEL/MEL-Instrument
CAP volunteer SAR pilot
KBLI

114SM

Re: Timebuilding - Multiengine-land - seeking ideas, proposing a solution
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:53:12 PM »
Hey Randy,

Sorry I dont know of anything like that around here but I was wondering (im too lazy and dont have a FAR with me right now to look), does the ATP require 50 hours of MEL now? I did mine a few years ago and I know it wasnt back then but I know times have changed though.

Good luck with the hour building. Thats a long expensive road but Im sure youll be glad down the road.

Tim

SAR_pilot

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:42:39 PM »
Hi Tim,

Yes, the ATP requires 50 hours in an multiengine aircraft.  It is possible to get an ATP in a single engine aircraft, or a balloon for that matter, but that is not my goal. 
FAR 61.159(a)(3).

Randy

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
Hi Tim,

Yes, the ATP requires 50 hours in an multiengine aircraft.  It is possible to get an ATP in a single engine aircraft, or a balloon for that matter, but that is not my goal. 
FAR 61.159(a)(3).

Randy

I don't believe there is an ATP Balloon...ATP Helicopter, yes.

Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

114SM

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:50:55 AM »
Thanks Randy. Learn something everyday.

Good luck with your time building,
Tim

Steves' Apache

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 10:09:25 AM »
SAR_pilot did you get my PM

SAR_pilot

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
I did receive, thanks!
...check PM for reply. 

Chris Rimple

• 5k flights, but no landings

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
I have no idea if this would meet your needs, but Skydive Kapowsin operates at the Shelton WA airport and flies a Twin Otter, with the right seat usually empty. You might contact them to see about a price to rent the right seat, although flight frequency is probably low until the weather improves.  If you can travel, talk to the folks at Skydive Arizona, where they're putting up 20-30 Twin Otter loads per day, every day, and have a bunkhouse on the airfield.
Chris Rimple, Burien WA, former member of USA National Skydiving Team
Have jumped from C182, Caravan, Porter, KingAir, Beaver, Otter, Skyvan, DC-3, DC-4, C-123, Tiger Moth, Stearman
Not a pilot, yet; for now, I ride with Mitchell H in his C182 (KBFI) and joke about getting out

Rod

• Spencer Aircraft      Aircraft Hardware and Pilot Supplies online store

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 06:54:44 AM »
The big thing is to make sure you are qualified for the insurance to fly the twin and then buddy up with someone to split the cost.   We have the Seninole at Safety In Motion Flight Center and we also offer the ATP training one just passed and I believe two more taking their test next week. 
www.SpencerAircraft.com Aircraft Hardware and Pilot Supplies
Where General Aviation Lands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYDddPufLpk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SAR_pilot

I have no idea if this would meet your needs, but Skydive Kapowsin operates at the Shelton WA airport and flies a Twin Otter, with the right seat usually empty. You might contact them to see about a price to rent the right seat, although flight frequency is probably low until the weather improves.  If you can travel, talk to the folks at Skydive Arizona, where they're putting up 20-30 Twin Otter loads per day, every day, and have a bunkhouse on the airfield.

Unfortunately the only time a right seater can log the MEL time is when they are 'required crewmembers', which requirement is usually met by being safety pilot for another left seat pilot under the hood in simulated IFR conditions.  So I doubt a skydive operations would work out with those conditions unless the pilot flying wanted to log approaches.  (I doubt the SK employer would appreciate the extra time for the lift cycles.)   Thanks though.

SAR_pilot

The big thing is to make sure you are qualified for the insurance to fly the twin and then buddy up with someone to split the cost.   We have the Seninole at Safety In Motion Flight Center and we also offer the ATP training one just passed and I believe two more taking their test next week.

Thank you Spence...I appreciate you letting us use your meeting rooms over these years ...if you guys were closer that would be a go. 
But I did find a similar buddy-up arrangement closer to home for about 10 hours, and looking for more buddy-up for those MEL experience-builders out there.  See http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/index.php?topic=13676.0

On insurance, I applied for SEL + MEL liability insurance including 10k on the hull deductible, and I reported *1* hour in MEL model (which was true at the time of the application).  The cost was $1000 per year (AIG, via AOPA).  Seems high but not sure(?).