Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Paine 037 transition  (Read 1778 times)

jnoble

Re: Paine 037 transition
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 09:10:48 PM »
N804RV - I know things can happen fast in the control world but if you aren't ready for a clearance or a clearance flusters you even for a second please let us know so we can help.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying something like "request vectors for the approach" or "I'm not quite ready for the approach can I get a delay vector" or "request direct savoy for the approach" - in my opinion both as a pilot and TRACON contoller it's better to get a delay vector, re-group, then fly a good solid approach.  By the way it's not an uncommon clearance for an approach. 

114SM

Re: Paine 037 transition
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 07:03:30 PM »
JNoble,

Thank you for posting that. I know as a newer instrument rated pilot I always felt pressured to take a clearance, but Ive learned through the years that saying or asking for the type of things you just requested are better for both ATC and the pilot. There is NOTHING wrong with saying Im not ready or say again or even unable. By taking things we arent ready for as pilots sets up the first huge hole in the swiss cheese. So what if you have to vector me around behind three other airplanes while i get ready?

Just like you said both parties would rather have a good approach flown.

Tim
Pages: 1 [2]