Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Recommendation for an IFR instructor out of BFI?  (Read 1075 times)

idair

Recommendation for an IFR instructor out of BFI?
« on: October 25, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »
Written is done.

I can get a 172N (ADF/DME) IFR certified plane for around 30-45 days in the Nov-Dec-Jan timeframe, assuming there's at least one blessing of a day to get it over the cascades.

The questions are:

Is it realistic to get this done within this time frame at this time of the year, dealing with weekends and evenings (5pm) only out of BFI -- every day if necessary?

Does anyone have any recommended individuals who could help me make this happen and mesh with this whacky schedule?  I'd prefer someone who is good at this type of instruction with a track record of success.  I'd also prefer a set price (IE: $xx for the IFR rating, up to x hours of instruction).

About me:
250 hours, Mostly 172 with some tailwheel (Champ) and 182 time thrown in.
Very little operations out of controlled airspace, last 150 hr was mostly grass airstrips / mountain flying / camping / hunting / fishing type of stuff.
New to Seattle.

Bonus if anyone knows of someone looking to sublet a hangar for 30-45 days out of BFI or RNT.  Otherwise, the tie-downs will get the job done.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:33:56 PM by idair »

ErikU

• Utter Associates

Re: Recommendation for an IFR instructor out of BFI?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »
Very realistic time frame, and an excellent choice both for building experience in busy airspace, and for ACTUAL instrument conditions.  The only real limitation is icing, but, at puget sound IFR training altitudes (mostly 4,000 ft) it should be workable.

You might check with Modern Pilot. They are a simulation outfit, but probably have or know experienced freelance CFII's.

If your instructor isn't totally comfortable flying in actual you need to find another instructor. 

BE-35 'S' Bonanza - Seattle - BFI

Jcdonovan

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 10:10:30 PM »
Spence Campbell at rnt Aviation training center. Don't go cheap on this one this is how people fly into terrain.

BruceAir

• BruceAir

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 07:34:31 AM »
You should also try to find an instructor/flight school with access to an ATD/FTD. Simulation is a terrific complement to IFR training--I think it's essential--especially if you are on a tight schedule. You can save a lot of time and money mastering tasks such as holding patterns, DME arcs, and the basic of a variety of approaches by learning about them in a training device and then practicing in the airplane.
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

idair

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 09:24:29 PM »
It was actually incredible difficult to find a freelance CFI who wanted to knock out an instrument rating on a 172 without a GPS.  Nobody wanted to touch it, and the few that would could not accommodate an accelerated schedule.  Tons affiliated with flight schools, but for the most part they don't instruct outside their aircraft.  Many outfits only had "glass" cockpits for training too which would not reflect my day to day flying so I was hesitant to train that way.

I eventually called down the BEFA instructor list.  Found one possible, candidate.  I'll give it a try, but if it fails, either a GPS is going in (even then, the options were few), or I'm going to just go to one of the many 1-2 week intensive programs in a 3 hour radius.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:32:57 PM by idair »