Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: looking to take flying lessons  (Read 2232 times)

todi28

looking to take flying lessons
« on: October 13, 2015, 03:09:56 PM »
spyingpotato referred me here. I want to take some flying lessons. Who can help me out? I am brand new but took one introductory flying lesson at Regal Air.  I want to fly!

BruceAir

• BruceAir

Re: looking to take flying lessons
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 03:58:55 PM »
For good general information about choosing a flight school and instructor, see AOPA's Learn to Fly page. You'll find answers to many common questions and suggestions about how to get started.
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

Al Gilson

• Global Moderator
  • "Go Eagles!" (I'm on the left)
    • Hangar 49

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 05:14:18 PM »
Go to Northway Aviation at Paine Field.  Ask for Amy Bellesheim.  Very enthusiastic CFI.

Al (Amy's the best!) Gilson
Al (insert witty statement here) Gilson
Cuurently planeless
KSFF Spokane, WA
www.hangar49.info

Domenick

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 07:59:34 AM »
There are a number of good schools in the area at Boeing Field, Paine Field, Renton, Harvey, and others. What are your flying goals? Where are you located? How much time can you dedicate to the effort?
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

todi28

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:22:09 AM »
I am located in Bellevue. I can dedicate upto 6 hours per week. As of now my flying goals are just to get my permit so that I can go flying for fun.

Thank you everyone for replying!

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 09:48:12 AM »
You might look into getting a Sport Pilot license. Somewhat less time required for training than a Private Pilot license, although more restrictive. You will be limited to flying an airplane which meets Light Sport Aircraft parameters.
I don't know if anyone at Paine Field has a light sport available for training, but Snohomish Flying Service at Harvey Field has both a Sport Star LSA as well as a Champ which (although not a designated LSA) meets the LSA parameters. I think taildraggers like their Champ are more fun, although they can be more challenging also.
sport pilot:   http://www.snohomishflying.com/aflight_instruction/fwsport.html
private pilot:     http://www.snohomishflying.com/aflight_instruction/fwprivate.html
If all this jargon is a bit overwhelming, as it can be to a newcomer, talk it over with your aviator friend(s) as well as with any potential flight instructor and/or flight school. And good luck with your pursuit of flying, I hope you go for it. I have never regretted doing so 20 years ago, it is a huge part of my life now.

spyingpotato

• The Airport? What is it?

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 01:17:05 PM »
Hey all
I work with todai28, and talked her into a intro flight with Regal as she says.  I suggested she post here to see if there's any flight instructors willing to take her on without the formal schooling. Kinda like I did with someone through Alternate Air.  Considering our work loads it might be more beneficial ?  So I suggested she post here to see if there's an instructor available.  Basically part 61, which I did, versus 141.   We've been contacting Amy but she seems busy at the moment (which is a good thing!).   Otherwise I've been filling her up with all the schools around and so I thought it would be neat to investigate any non 141 options/people around on here. 

Hotrod: she's interested in PPL not sport.

Matt
Mountlake Terrace
'69 C-150

N804RV

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 04:33:26 PM »
There's a couple of independent CFIs on here.  If we keep this thread bumped up, one might happen along......  8)
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit mostly finished
         Wings in work

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Many issues to consider when choosing a school...

Location (commute times)
Instructor style/fit
Budget
etc.

Think about how you would prioritize each of these.
If cost is the critical factor trumping all others, Alternate Air is tough to beat.
Boeing Field, Paine, Renton, Harvey - all have their pluses and minuses.  Airport location: the commute from Bellevue...meh, everything sucks, which way sucks least for you?
Lots of factors to weigh...
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

Domenick

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 07:31:08 AM »
The Bellevue to Renton commute would probably suck the least. Bellevue to Seattle would probably suck the most.
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

Dan_Root

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 11:31:05 AM »
I did 98% of my training using independent CFI's (Two of them), but had to finish up with SFS (Harvey).  If you can, I highly recommend Part 61 and a CFI to personalize your training at your pace if you plan to fly for fun as I do.  You get good instruction typically from a CFI who wants to make pilots, not log hours toward a job at United.  It's a very different method of schooling going between places like Regal, SFS etc. and a person.

Regardless, remember even before you solo as a student and your CFI is sitting next to you, you're flying, enjoy every minute of it!

:)
L8A - Slightly modified

will moffitt

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »
well said dan.

will

spyingpotato

• The Airport? What is it?

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
There are some neat schools and very, very wonderful people at all of them.  I think I've met most of their folk over the years though I'm fairly low key so they may not remember me.  Nothing wrong at all with a school and not everyone instructing at them is just looking to get hours and get out.  So let's not discount the great folks at all the usual spots we mention and know, because many of them give the part 61 feel but are being paid out of a 141 school.  Many of them can give part61 type learning, allowing the student to study the written on their own etc. 

Again, I was just hoping to help todi28 get all the options possible.  I don't know if a PM has been sent but so far it seems there's not as many independent flight instructors on here as there used to be (?) .
Matt
Mountlake Terrace
'69 C-150

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 09:19:12 PM »
She not only needs a CFI but an airplane also. A flight school usually offers a package deal, airplane & CFI.
One can usually rent an airplane at flight school / FBO like SFS, Regal, or wherever but work with their own independent CFI.
There's a couple independent CFI's here at Jefferson  (including one gal) & a pretty reasonably priced rental C150, but the location would be totally inconvenient for someone from Bellevue.
I know a couple independent CFI's over on the big side, but I think they're more into doing simple BFR's & maybe IPC's  in the customer's airplane than student pilot training in a rental.