Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rainier Flight Service vs Pavco Aviation  (Read 3817 times)

Pilotspencer

Rainier Flight Service vs Pavco Aviation
« on: July 23, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
I'm in the final stages of researching flight schools. I've narrowed my final choices down to Rainier Flight Service and Pavco Aviation.  Anybody have experience with either company? Rainier is much closer to my house, and seems to have a nice fleet of aircraft. Pavco is not as close, and seems to also have a nice selection of 162s and 172s. Any advice?

Rainier Flight Service

• Rainier Flight Service

Re: Rainier Flight Service vs Pavco Aviation
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »
Walk in unannounced. Talk to the students that are sitting around. Ask for a tour. See how the vibe is and where you feel comfortable and welcome. You are joining a community as much as lessons.

-Brad
www.RainierFlightService.com
Office - (425) 610-6293
Email - amy@rainierflight.com
Like us on Facebook
It's Time For You To Fly!

Avionics

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
Walk in unannounced. Talk to the students that are sitting around. Ask for a tour. See how the vibe is and where you feel comfortable and welcome. You are joining a community as much as lessons.

-Brad
This.
I own Avionics Shop, Inc., at KTIW.... call me Crazy Dan!

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »
Picking a flight school is 99% the relationship you'll have with your instructor.  Do they show up on time?  Are they prepared for your lesson?  Do they communicate well both before and after the flight?  Do they modify their teaching delivery to your learning style?  Do they care about your progress?  Are they flexible with the syllabus to meet your learning curve?  Are they a professional instructor or a time-builder? 

While you may get some sense of the quality of training by talking to current students, remember that they are drinking the Kool-Aid at the time.  Talking to former students will likely give you a more accurate picture.

If you are preparing for each lesson and find yourself not gelling with your CFI, fire him or her and select another.  It's your dollars and you should spend them wisely.

Either place on your list has quality instructors...choosing the more convenient location will only benefit you in the long run.

Daryl

P.S.  It is possible to be prepping for an airline career (time accruing) AND still be a dedicated, professional instructor.
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

Domenick

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 08:10:27 AM »
I don't know how long you have lived in the GPNW, but if Rainier in Renton is close to your home, then you are going to HATE and DREAD driving to Tacoma and crossing the Narrows Bridge a couple times a week. Go with Rainier. Think about your learning style. Talk to the instructors. Pick one. Start training. If the CFI does not work out, pick another.
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

Pilotspencer

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 09:33:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I have done lots of research on both schools, and they seem very reputable.  I'd like to hear from any former students of either of the schools, if there are any on the forum.  Domenick- What was your training experience at Harvey like? I've been out there a bunch of times and their 152s and 172s always look pretty beat up.

pasichnyk

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »
I had a great experience with my PPL training at rainier, however my instructor has since moved out of the state, so I can't really speak to the current instructors.  Their prices are fair, and aircraft nice and newer than most outfits.  As others have said, the fit with the instructor is gonna make it to break it for you, but i'm sure there are plenty at Rainier that will work for your learning style.

Feel free to pm me with any specific questions.
Jesse Pasichnyk
Seattle, WA
Private Pilot - SEL

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »
I had a great experience with my PPL training at rainier, however my instructor has since moved out of the state, so I can't really speak to the current instructors.  Their prices are fair, and aircraft nice and newer than most outfits.  As others have said, the fit with the instructor is gonna make it to break it for you, but i'm sure there are plenty at Rainier that will work for your learning style.

Feel free to pm me with any specific questions.

There you have it.  And I can vouch Jesse's piloting skills...
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

tomahawk49

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
I can vouch for Rainier FS, good guys.  Got my private and instrument there.  PM me if you've got specific questions.

Domenick

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »
... Domenick- What was your training experience at Harvey like? I've been out there a bunch of times and their 152s and 172s always look pretty beat up.

My training at Harvey was some time ago, and my CFI has moved back to being a real estate lawyer. He was great, not a kid, well into his thirties. He was already a real estate lawyer and his wife was giving him a year to realize his dream of air transport. His teaching style meshed perfectly with my learning style. Overall my training experience at Harvey was very good, but again, it was a long time ago.

I really can't speak to the condition of Harvey's training fleet, but I do love the airport.

I do have some advice to new students. Schedule at least two sessions a week. In the winter you will get weathered out and so miss flying for a session or two. If you are only flying once a week it could be three weeks between flights. Scheduling two sessions a week increases your odds of flying more often. Also more frequent sessions means you will not lose as much ground between sessions. Due to working full time I only scheduled once a week. It took me 11 months and probably 10 hours more to pass my checkride than if I had been going twice a week.
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

Ddayle

• I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 05:37:45 PM »
I recently Checked out in Rainer Flight Service's non-glass 172.  I was pleased with both customer service and the instructor they paired me with.     Dave R
Flying Juliette.

luvflyin

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 10:46:13 PM »
I don't know the area but I would heed the advice about location.  Arriving at your lesson burned out from the drive and dreading the drive home is likely to make you a less than efficient "learner"
Mike G

baronet68

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »
As has been said already, it really comes down to your relationship with instructor.  I did my training at Pavco, had an amazing instructor, and it worked out well for me. 

Their trainer 152's are very long in the tooth (e.g. I think one has ~14,000 hrs) but seem to be well maintained.  I've flown their 162 and 172's and those planes obviously aren't as "tired" as the 152's.  Pavco's wet rental rate is pretty good.  I live in Tacoma so crossing the bridge was a short trip but the toll was an extra expense that needs to be factored into your costs.  It's slightly cheaper if you get the Good To Go pass.
- Michael
1946 Ercoupe N99089

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 07:18:41 AM »
Sometime it's possible to overthink things. Assuming that the flight schools you've checked out are reputable, with decent equipment, it's all gonna boil down to your rapport with your instructor.  Either you two will click, or not, and it's hard to tell ahead of time. Keep in mind that it's already the middle of August, over halfway through summer-- if you're still in the research mode, time's a-wasting.

lovesflying

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
I can't speak for Pavco because I don't hear much about them, but every person I that I know that have trained, or are currently training at Rainier love it. When I was unceremoniously fired from Proflight some years back some of my former students went to Rainier and loved it there. The place I work at in my current occupation (similarly named to a river in Brazil) has a few people there and they recommend it highly. If one were to go the flight school route I'd say it's a pretty good school at a good location.
Pages: [1] 2