Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: GTN 650/750 Tips and Tricks  (Read 5330 times)

BruceAir

• BruceAir

Re: GTN 650/750 Tips and Tricks
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »
I think you'll find that even folks who are building or flying homebuilts primarly for VFR fun flying are installing "glass" for the obvious reasons: reliability, weight and power, and increased situational awareness. Of course, there's nothing wrong with pure stick-and-rudder, VFR flying. I love zooming around the Extra 300L, which has only a basic VFR panel and avionics.

But I flew home to BFI from PSC on Friday night. It was a clear, but very dark, night. I sure liked having synthetic vision and a sophisticated GPS to make the trip (I was on an IFR flight plan) less stressful than it would have been in the good old days.

Obviously, you don't need most of this stuff for local fun flying. But if you travel in your airplane, VFR or IFR, the new technology can be a huge help in making intelligent decisions, maintaining situational awareness, and handling the unexpected. It's not a substitute for basic flying skills (physical and mental).
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

luvflyin

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »
Sounds like flying the gauges is easy, the tough part is outsmarting your GPS.

Ya know, putting it that way does kinda tell the story.  I'd say it's probably more like making sure IT doesn't outsmart you and it doesn't take much sometimes to make it do that.  Push one little wrong button and you can set yourself up for about 10 button pushes to Un F*** everything.  Do it at the wrong time and you can get busier than a three legged cat covering up S***.  Now I don't really believe this is true, but sometimes it seems that GPS was invented just to sell autopilots.  Don't get me started in on blindly following autopilots down the primrose path.  Entire procedures have had to be changed to accomodate this.

If I had the buck$ I'd get the best one out there and use it because it does a lot of really valuable stuff and enhances safety IF you maintain your situational awarness and remember IT is your tool, not the other way around.

Mike G

Klaus

• NOTAM : Altitude Creates a Sense of Euphoria
    • Klaus Website

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »
   I travel back and forth to Juneau, AK often. 10 years ago the chance of delayed, over flying or having the flight canceled in the fall and winter was over 35 percent. Less than 10 years ago the Air-Taxi services would be on hold or cancel half the time throughout the fall and winter months. The days of pacing the floor for hours and calling flight service every hour hoping for a weather opening don't seem to even exist anymore.
   If giving a little of our time to educate each other on using the latest technologies will make Aviation a safe, reliably and dependable means of transportation then lets keep the conversation going.  ;D
Klaus Marx
Juneau, AK (PAJN) & East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT)

Rod

• Spencer Aircraft      Aircraft Hardware and Pilot Supplies online store

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »
We are In  the process of updating our planes with new G650 in all of the trainers at Safety In Motion.
www.SpencerAircraft.com Aircraft Hardware and Pilot Supplies
Where General Aviation Lands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYDddPufLpk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cabbage

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 05:56:55 AM »
There is supposed to be a new software update available soon, hopefully in the next couple weeks.  If you have a GTN650 and do the update, there are some significant new features and most importantly, a change in a couple behaviors. Namely what happens when you just load an approach, and what happens when you load using vectors to final.  If you plan to do the update, PLEASE take the time to read the supplement or better yet, play with the free simulator before you go blasting off IFR through the weather.

BruceAir

• BruceAir

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 06:26:35 AM »
I demonstrate the new hold at waypoint feature in the forthcoming system software (6.x) at my blog, here. I am going through the updated manuals and using the PC trainer to check out the new features and changes to existing functions.
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L
Pages: 1 2 [3]