Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: GTN 650/750 Tips and Tricks  (Read 5344 times)

luvflyin

Re: GTN 650/750 Tips and Tricks
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 09:49:05 AM »
Yeah.  As long as loading it works that would be the way to go.  What I described above wouldn't really accomplish anything. .  Question, suppose you did it anyway and then got some reroute that started at OLM.  Could be to a different airport, could be a different approach that doesn't use FESAS.  Would you have to remove FESAS first?
Mike G

Cabbage

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 09:01:33 PM »
Mike:  If you load OLM KTIW and then the RNAV with the OLM transition, the GTN will show a route like this:  OLM KTIW OLM FESAS....

Bruce:  I never load anything in the route of flight other than what I'm cleared for.  Yes, in this case I could look at the distance from OLM to FESAS in the approach, but that won't be the case with all approaches.

Man this is getting hard.  I'm actually based at S50 and have never even landed at HIO.  I only used it as an example.  I was just trying to point out that by filing your route over a feeder fix for the approach you want to fly, it can help with descent planning (I plan on 5 NM/1000' of descent).  There is a high probability that ATC won't give it to you, but if you don't ask then you won't get it for sure.

Try the RNAV at S50.  If I file OLM S50 and load the approach, I will see the distance from CIDUG to ORTIN, but I have no idea how far I am from CIDUG.  If, instead, I file OLM CIDUG S50 and I'm lucky and they clear me as filed, since CIDUG is part of my route and it is also a feeder fix, I can plan my descent.  The only time I did that, ATC cleared me OLM SEA S50.  Then approaching OLM they asked what approach I wanted and cleared me to CIDUG.  Would have been a lot easier if they had just cleared me as filed.

Bob

tomahawk49

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
A couple ideas for you Cabbage -- I believe with the 650 you can get your distance/bearing to any intersection (or airport, vor, etc)  you want regardless of whether it's in your flight plan ... go to the "waypoint info" menu, then press "intersection" then type in CIDUG and enter.  Top right is dis / brg.

Or use another gps source for distance to CIDUG info.  Like an ipad with foreflight.

BruceAir

• BruceAir

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 08:28:27 AM »
If your primary concern is planning your descent, you have several options with the GTN (and can use similar procedures with the GNS) series.

For simplicity, let's stick with the flight from KHIO to KTIW via OLM, with the RNAV (GPS) 35 approach starting at FESAS.

If you load (but don't activate) the approach, FESAS still appears in the Active Flight Plan list below the approach title. At any time, you can see your distance and bearing from any fix in the flight plan. Touch the fix, and then touch Waypoint Info. The Waypoint Info page appears, and next to the name of the fix, you see both the current distance and relative bearing to the fix.

You can also use the VCALC feature (available via the Utilities page). You can select any Target Waypoint in the current flight plan, including fixes in a loaded (not necessarily activated) approach. Touch Target Waypoint and select FESAS, Then select the target altitude, vertical speed, and offset (e.g., 2000, 500 ft/min, 2 nm before) in the remaining boxes. You'll get constantly updated information about when to start your descent and VS required. If you turn on Display Messages, you'll see alerts regardless of which page you display on the GTN 750.

I have included setting up VCALC as part of my cruise checklist, after I lean the engine and take care of other top-of-climb items. It's a very handy feature, VFR or IFR, to help you plan an efficient, comfortable descent and to alert you to check with ATC if they haven't started clearing you down.

As I mentioned earlier, you can also display a range ring on the Map page. The scale of the ring changes as you zoom in and out on the map. It's a very handy feature when you want to check in with ATC for flight following, give a PIREP, etc. You can quickly estimate your distance from airports, VORs, and other fixes while still looking at the map. Those estimates are more than precise enough for planning descents, etc.

Play around with these features in the free GTN 750 trainer.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:05:38 PM by BruceAir »
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

Lee D

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 11:45:57 AM »
I've got a copy of the GTN Trainer Lite.  I can pretty much do everything described in this thread except use the VCALC feature or put range rings on the map.  I'm unclear if that is actually two separate features or one feature.  GTN Trainer Lite doesn't have anything under Utilities.  It's free.
Lee, Renting, 172, PAE

BruceAir

• BruceAir

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 10:14:15 PM »
For information about VCALC and other utilities, see chapter 15 in the GTN 750 Pilot's Guide. I can set up VCALC in the version of the PC Trainer Lite running on my system under Windows 10. Perhaps you have a bad installation.

The Nav Range Ring is described on p. 9-18 of the guide. You turn it off/on via the Map options, described on p. 9-15. On the Map page, touch Menu, then touch Map Setup. The NAV Range Ring is an option on the Map tab.

-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

Lee D

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 12:14:09 AM »
Ok, got it now.  Thanks.  I do see the Nav Range Ring now.  I couldn't find the VCALC feature because when I run GTN Trainer Liight as a GTN 650, there is nothing under Utilities.  When I run it as a GTN 750, there is plenty of stuff there.  I'll have to experiment with this tomorrow.  I didn't try the other GTN models.
Lee, Renting, 172, PAE

snoboy

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »

Well I just loaded this FP in my GTN650 trainer: KHIO KOLM KTIW, then loaded the RNAV 35 approach, picked OLM for the transition (NOT FESAS) and loaded the approach. My new FP goes like this. KHIO, KOLM, FESAS, GANKA, KEPFU, RWY 35, ECAZA, CARRO, HOLD. Looks really good to me. Remember you can use the D> button to skip OLM and head straight to FESAS if you get a clearance.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:53:37 PM by snoboy »
Commercial Instrument SEL/SES
CFI inwork
KRNT
AOPA Angel Flight BEFA WPA

luvflyin

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 08:34:27 AM »

Well I just loaded this FP in my GTN650 trainer: KHIO KOLM KTIW, then loaded the RNAV 35 approach, picked OLM for the transition (NOT FESAS) and loaded the approach. My new FP goes like this. KHIO, KOLM, FESAS, GANKA, KEPFU, RWY 35, ECAZA, CARRO, HOLD. Looks really good to me. Remember you can use the D> button to skip OLM and head straight to FESAS if you get a clearance.

Can you do me a favor.  File KHIO OLM FESAS KTIW (did you really do KOLM the first time, or was it OLM.)  Load the approach with OLM transition and tell me what you get.
Mike G

snoboy

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »
The problem I see is loading FESAS in the original FP. My FP is KHIO KOLM KTIW. FESAS comes into play once the approach is loaded. KOLM is not a transition option only OLM. The 650 doesnt vary from the legal approach plate. I will load your version of KHIO KOLM FESAS KTIW.
CFI inwork
KRNT

snoboy

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
Just loaded it your way  KHIO KOLM FESAS KTIW and then loaded the RNAV 35 approach and selected OLM as transition and it works fine, then tried FESAS as transition and it works fine as well.

CFI inwork
KRNT

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »
Sounds like flying the gauges is easy, the tough part is outsmarting your GPS. 

tomahawk49

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 11:07:33 PM »
Sounds like flying the gauges is easy, the tough part is outsmarting your GPS.

Haha ... yeah I agree, seems to me just flying the plane on gauges isn't that hard, it's all the other stuff about IFR flight (dealing with ATC, navigation, the FAR's etc.) that make it so challenging.  If you can outsmart your gps though it's a hell of a tool.

BruceAir

• BruceAir

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 08:03:31 AM »
Although some study and practice is required to use the new avionics, the advantages you gain are tremendous. For example, there are now more than 14,415 RNAV (GPS) instrument approaches and other procedures in the U.S., including 3,567 approaches with LPV minimums (basically functionally equivalent to an ILS). There are 1284 category 1 ILS approaches in the U.S. (Details on the inventory are here.)

The total number of all ground-based instrument procedures is 16,940.

Many RNAV (GPS) approaches serve small GA airports (for example, KCLS) that previously had only NDB or VOR procedures.

If you fly IFR, RNAV capability gives you many additional options to complete flights safely and efficiently.
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
Seems to me that flying, even VFR flying, is getting to be more & more about electronics and less & less about stick and rudder skills.
Kind of a bummer for those of us who are not adept at nor esp interested in computer stuff.
I can see why some of the antique-er and NORDO guys eschew modern avionics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3