Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Long range endurance  (Read 136 times)

will moffitt

Long range endurance
« on: January 12, 2018, 06:30:27 PM »
Things are really slow on the old forum so I thought I might liven it up a little.  I posted it on another forum last year which might explain the over explanation of real estate features that are obvious to you.
 I bought a c150 in 1985. I started lessons immediately and 2 months later I had my ticket. Really 3 because the non-computerized test took 30 days to process. That was about June. In August the snow melt had slowed down enough that the creeks were not full and the trout fishing improved. I headed for Stehekin, a small town of about 25 at the inlet end of Lake Chelan. The town is isolated and the only access is walk 30 or 40 miles, float plane or a 40 mile boat ride. Lake Chelan is glacier formed and is located in the middle of the state. It is about a mile or 2 wide and 40 miles about long. I was headed for a dirt strip about 5 miles upriver from the town. I guess about an hour and 15 minute flight from where I live on the coast but I took some time looking at the many mountain lakes that I love to fish and most of them had thawed by now. So I popped out of the mountains about 4000 feet above the lake with the issue of having to go pee so bad my belly button was leaking. I knew I could not make it to the strip and I really valued that nice interior of my new to me toy. I had been practicing 60 degree turns and was getting pretty good at it. I loosened my seat belt a long ways, snuggled up against the door and prepared the equipment. I put my toes on the uphill rudder and put it in a steep bank. The door would now open far enough. It felt really good in more than one way and I did not get a drop on the plane. Your results may vary depending on your equipment. I have not been there in many years but it was annual event for a long time. But to be honest, the fishing is much better in Idaho.

OK Hot Rod, top this one.

will

N804RV

Re: Long range endurance
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 07:05:02 PM »
Spent a few years in the Navy riding around in the back of helicopters and pretending to make sure the guys in front didn't mess up too bad.  All crew chiefs I knew carried 3 or 4 MAF bags (very sturdy ziplock backs designed to hold maintenance action forms (MAFs) on gear being routed to the repair facility.  MAF bags were very useful on long flight. And, were routinely tossed out the rear hatch once full.  The routine was to get up, announce going aft for security check, do your business, then toss.

Had a new 2nd crewman one night who, very professionally, announced he was going aft for security check, went aft and shortly returned.  It was obvious after a short time he was uncomfortable, so I asked, "Hey, whats up?"  He said, "how do you guys do it out the hatch without getting it all over yourselves?"  Apparently, he did not know about the MAF bags.
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit mostly finished
         Wings in work

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:57:41 PM »
....OK Hot Rod, top this one. 

You had to open the door?
I just have to open the window.

Domenick

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 07:28:27 AM »

Size matters.
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

will moffitt

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 01:49:51 PM »
Thanks Domenick.  The gray hair is slowing me down.  I would have woke up at 4 in the morning laughing.  Now the wife is asking me what is so funny.

will

SeaAir

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »
A number of years ago we were flying a C172 from Denver to Custer, SD to see Mt. Rushmore.  With building thundershowers in the area it was taking a little longer than expected, so we landed at Scotts Bluff, NE to refuel and buy a couple of Cokes for the rest of the trip.  As time went on, I needed to empty the tank, so to speak.  I had folded my Coke can in half, so I grabbed my wife’s can and proceeded to fill it.  She was flying the plane during this operation, so I asked her to fly over a vacant field to drop the can.  I still needed to go, so I uncrumpled my can and filled it.  Unfortunately, when I folded the can it created leaks where the can folded.  With my fingers over the holes I asked her to fly over another field to drop the second can.  Twenty four ounces later I am in pretty good shape, but it had done nothing for my wife – and we were out of cans.  We did have a Nalgene bottle full of water and a climbing helmet.  Now I know what you’re thinking, but she poured the water into the helmet and proceeded to fill the Nalgene.  Twenty eight ounces later (as marked on the Nalgene) she was done and we went to Custer.

Hitchhiking from the Custer airport to Mt. Rushmore, including the ride in the back of a pickup with a couple of drunk cowboys driving (who were happy to share what they were drinking – we declined) is a tale for another time.

Warren
BFI, Beech 36

WadeT

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 05:28:43 PM »

Hey, when did you paint your plane yellow?
-Wade

Velocity N62AL
KPAE