Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Albany Municipal Airport (S12) - Overview  (Read 2695 times)

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

Albany Municipal Airport (S12) - Overview
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »
Introduction:
A nice little airport in the Willamette Valley, right beside Interstate 5, Albany Municipal has a spacious paved runway (3000' x 75') plus what looks like a shorter grass runway east of the paved one, and (at least when I was there recently) quite decent fuel prices.  There's no FBO these days, although the former FBO building is open for local and transient pilot use (use the secret code to enter the locked office, with well-maintained rest rooms and a big pilots lounge).  There's no courtesy car, but there are plenty of services located nearby and a few right outside the airport (including a Chinese restaurant immediately outside the airport fence and within easy walking distance).  There are a few interesting airplanes parked around the expansive ramp, too.

Photos:

Local Reporting Points
There are no well-known local reporting points for this airport that we're aware of.
If you know of any, please add them in a reply below.

Other websites about this airport:

User Contributions Wanted!
Local knowledge and first-hand reports can be an important source of information for visiting pilots.
Please add your own PIREP, comments, corrections and updates below so others can benefit from your local knowledge and experience.

Disclaimers & Legal Stuff
My lawyer says to remind you that all the information contained here is certainly not intended for navigation, so please use it at your own risk. Always confirm any information you find online with an official government source, since we all know that the internet can be full of crazy stuff and you sure don't want to bet your life on that. Please be smart and fly safe. All contents of this website are © Pacific Northwest Flying, and may not be reproduced in any form without permission.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:51:48 PM by davidh »
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

Comanche pilot

Re: Albany Municipal Airport (S12) - Overview
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »
I just flew in here Friday, Aug. 10th to drop off a friend. It's a nice airport however when taxiing back out to 34 I followed the taxiway south past the last intersection to 34 and over a small bridge and ended up in the parking lot for the Chinese Restaurant. It is bordered by a small fence to keep out pedestrians.  I thought it might connect to the displaced threshold but not so.
Kevin
PA-24 Comanche
AWO

DRW

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:20:58 AM »
Probably thought you were coming in for 'take out'! :D :D
Piloting 182 out of 3W7 (Electric City)
ASEL, AOPA, WPA, WSAA, WASP, NRA Benefactor
RAF State Liaison

BruceAir

• BruceAir

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 08:08:52 AM »
If the photo in the original post is correct, the areas defined by the displaced thresholds on this runway are not available for takeoff or landing (yellow chevrons, AIM 2-3-3. Runway Markings)
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

Comanche pilot

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:29:37 AM »
I concur.
Kevin
PA-24 Comanche
AWO

CRAZEDpilot

• CRAZEDpilot.com
    • Training DVD's, Big Rocks Long Props, Headsets, LED lighting, you name it!

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
THAT'S NOT A GRASS STRIP on the east side (even though the photo sure makes it look it!)

This is one of our local fields and I've tried landing in that grass there a few times on my Tundras and its so horribly
maintained it should only be reserved for Tundra equipped planes due to the deep ditches that cross it in multiple
places, windsock, and rolling terrain.  I'm a regular off-airport field/terrain pilot, and this is not a landable surface
by most people's standards.

The photo sure makes it look like a strip, and it sure WOULD have been excellent grass if someone had
developed the land properly.   Don't do it without walking it and a properly equipped STOL plane.  I keep going back
and trying it because it LOOKS good, and even with my Tundra shoes on I usually regret it after trying to restle it down
though the bounces. :)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:05:11 PM by crazedpilot »

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »
Good to know, Crazed, thanks for the local knowledge/PIREP - always appreciated.

BTW, welcome!
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

Frank

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 11:57:02 PM »
Went to the Chinese restaurant and it is very interesting how you get there. You taxi by the end of Rwy 34 go over a bridge and then it opens up into a very large parking area for airplanes.  All asphalt. Walking distance is about 100 feet.  Most interesting route to a restaurant without leaving the airport I have found.
The menu is quite diverse and has a lot of options. Good food to boot and very reasonable.

chavycha

• Neither old nor bold.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
This airport is a ghost town.  No one on duty, and very seldom any traffic other than training traffic from nearby Corvallis and Lebanon.   There's a lounge with a bathroom, and self-serve fuel, but no FBO.   The runway and taxiway surfaces are in decent shape and it's easy to find, right off of I-5. 

There is another restaurant associated with the hotel to the northeast of the field (just to the right of the 16 in the pic above) if you're not feeling daring enough to try Albany Chinese.
Based in beautiful Creswell, Oregon (77S)

2appraise

• Infinite Air Center

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »
Wait!  I am here at S12 now!  Come stop by the FBO anytime.  If we are not open, the lounge is open 24 hours a day so come in and relax and enjoy cookies before they are all gone by the tenants!  :)
Infinite Air Center
Albany Municipal Airport - S12
E. thann@InfiniteAirCenter.com | P. 541.730.3345
W. www.InfiniteAirCenter.com | www.RotaxMaintenance.com
www.facebook.com/infiniteaircenter

chavycha

• Neither old nor bold.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 04:25:05 PM »
Tony has done an excellent job fixing up the FBO facilities at Albany.  The lounge got a complete facelift and now there's actually fuel in the tanks.
Based in beautiful Creswell, Oregon (77S)

tosten

• I heart flying

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 01:49:30 PM »
Used Albany to pick and and later drop off a passenger yesterday.  Fuel price was reasonable.  The FBO was closed, but they still had the cookies out in the pilot lounge.  Nice little airport.  I wish I lived near one like it.
Paul

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things"  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

P35 Bonanza--KHIO

2appraise

• Infinite Air Center

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
Thanks for flying in and sorry we missed you.

The lobby is open 24 hours a day using the Runway Numbers (1634) as the door code, and unless we get a bunch of people flying in and eating all the cookies (which sometimes happen), we will have them available in the kitchen area.

If you need special services like taking the courtesy vehicle or need any sort of assistance, please call or email us beforehand and we will have someone here waiting or come up with a solution. 

Once again, thanks for stopping by and please let me know if you run into any issues or have any suggestions on what we can do better.
Infinite Air Center
Albany Municipal Airport - S12
E. thann@InfiniteAirCenter.com | P. 541.730.3345
W. www.InfiniteAirCenter.com | www.RotaxMaintenance.com
www.facebook.com/infiniteaircenter