Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Airport - 2S6 Sportsman Airport  (Read 2966 times)

satcom2k

Airport - 2S6 Sportsman Airport
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:22:42 AM »
Does anyone have any recent information regarding airport 2S6 in Newberg, OR?  The AFD and Airnav.com both show the runway in poor condition, I am wondering just how poor the condition is.

BruceAir

• BruceAir

Re: Airport - 2S6 Sportsman Airport
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:06:59 AM »
I suggest calling or emailing the airport management directly. The airport website is here.
-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L

flyguybri

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
It's not bad, althought it's probably been a year since I've been there. I used to take regularly my students there when I lived in Vancouver. It's paved, a little bumpy as the pavement is getting worn but no potholes or anything. At least the last time I was there.
59S -> VUO -> MRI

groupw

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »
Ditto.

I fly over it all the time. I'll land there next time I go by and give you a report.

Roy

rdanz68

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »
Wow.  I haven't heard that airport mentioned in a long time.  I landed there several times back when I was taking flight instruction out of Aurora State.  Flight instructors from Aurora used to take there students in there all the time.  This was around 12 years ago and I've never been back. 

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »
I was there spring of last year.  The runway is fine.  Not the most perfect piece of pavement you'll find, but perfectly adequate for any normal airplane, and better than some other airports that many of us frequent.  No reason to be scared off.

I like the field - it has a real old time, golden-age-of-aviation feel to it.
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

satcom2k

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I did try to call several times, but I have not heard back.  For the time being I will just fly into KHIO and drive down, will check the airport while I am in town.

groupw

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »
I landed there this afternoon. Runway has some cracks but they're not bad and mostly longitudinal, and it's not rough at all. The runway condition shouldn't be a problem for any small plane.

I'll be glad to post a video of the landing and takeoff to YouTube if anyone is interested.

Roy

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »
I'll be glad to post a video of the landing and takeoff to YouTube if anyone is interested.

Please do, Roy - love to see videos of approach & landings - I think they help unfamiliar visitors get a feel for any new airport.
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

groupw

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
Here it is:

http://youtu.be/k36Ci0yk_NM

The light isn't terribly good, since it was late afternoon. There was a moderate crosswind from the west.

Roy

greghughes

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 03:40:16 PM »
I land at Sportsman all the time. The runway's a little bumpy, yes, but very usable. nice people there.

Stark's Twin Oaks (7S3) is just on the other side of the ridge to the north of the Newberg VOR - and it's a great little airport. Usually has the cheapest 100LL fuel in the area, too.
Flying: 1975 Warrior PA28-151 160HP
Building: RV-8A
Home base: 7S3 - Stark's Twin Oaks

fall-line

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 09:28:36 AM »
Thanks for all the great info here folks. We will be basing out of Sportsman for the weekend while hopping around to some of the other airstrips in the Willamette Valley.

fall-line

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
We just got back from a great weekend basing out of Sportsman with our club 172. The runway is a little rough as others have mentioned but really not bad at all. Airnav, etc have the runway condition listed as "poor" but I don't think that is accurate.. I'd call it fair to good. There was a bit of swirling wind on final to 35 out over the river bends, but nothing too unusual. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this strip to any pilot or student.

The family who own and operate the airstrip are pleasant and very welcoming. There are lots of available tiedown anchors in the grass (bring your own straps/ropes, as you'd expect). Parking is $5/day and 100LL was relatively cheap at $5.50/gal. The old converted fuel truck (might have been an International harvester) was awesome.

We're looking forward to our next visit.